Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

earplugs

flippymagoo

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by flippymagoo:

What are some good earplugs to buy to protect hearing?

Are the foam ones okay?

I use Sensaphonics today. I might choose any of the cutom fitted brands, though.

Why those over the disposable foam ones?

The foam is always trying to return to it's regular shape, pressing out on the ear canal. I find this extremely uncomfortable, and it gets worse the longer I wear them.

The custom ear molds are made to fit -my- ears. No pressure.

The inserts are also interchangeable. I can drop in a set of -25dB, -15dB, -9 dB... whatever the situation calls for.

These cost about $100. My health plan pays for it as a preventative measure. It also costs to have an audiologist fit you, but if you ttend trade shows or attend a hearing protection seminar, or get such a seminar at work, you can get fitted for free.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by Scary Muddy Cat:

THESE .

I've got an OLD set of Ear Valves that are OK. Not sure if they are even manufactured anymore.

Cool thanks. I'll go for those. There's a store in Altamonte Springs Fl close to where I live. I'll pick some up tomorrow. $12 can't beat that!

THESE .

I've got an OLD set of Ear Valves that are OK. Not sure if they are even manufactured anymore.

Cool thanks. I'll go for those. There's a store in Altamonte Springs Fl close to where I live. I'll pick some up tomorrow. $12 can't beat that!
HEY!! My brother lives in Altamonte Springs!!! :eek: Seriously!

Originally posted by cosmo1313:

THESE .

HEY!! My brother lives in Altamonte Springs!!! :eek: Seriously!
LOL Cool, where do you live?

Originally posted by cosmo1313:

quote:

HEY!! My brother lives in Altamonte Springs!!!
:eek:
Seriously!
LOL Cool, where do you live?

I lived in NY my entire life until December 2003 and now I live in Virginia.

I use the plain ol' $.50 foam plugs. As a band, we decided to buy a mini-bucket of them for the people who stop by rehearsal from time to time. I think it cost like $10 for about 100 sets.

I have two sets of them for my own use. They're comfy enough for me, and my ears don't ring after rehearsal or when I have to sit through other bands' sets at shows. I've had these two pairs of plugs for about two years. I keep them in a little plastic container on my keychain... They get kind of gross after a while, but they can be cleaned very easilya little hand-soap and warm water does the trick. And if you don't wanna clean them... shit.. they're fucking $.50! Just be a sport and get another set!

Yeah, I lose a bit of high-end clarity when I wear them, but I don't think that matters much. I've heard my band and rig without earplugs to know how we sound when I have them in.

I've tried the expensive plugs ($12 to $60), and the shape is uncomforrable for my ears or they fall out too easily. The cheapie ones work just fine and have never hurt or fallen out.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I've been using these Bilsom 202 down plugs for a number of years now. They are very comfortable, and have a flatter attenuation curve than foam plugs or flanges (i.e., sound less "muffled")

Unfortunately, they're not easy to find, and even then it's safety supply houses, so you're looking at $50+ to try 'em. The upside is that you'll get 400 pair.

BTW, thanks Scary Muddy Cat, I've got a pair of ER-20s on order. I'll give those a shot!

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Etymotic ER-20 is the best cheap plug I've used. It took awhile to get used to the fit.

I've never encouraged the loud wanker guitarists around here to get any, though I haven't made it a secret that I'm using them. Because these guys usually were already way too loud for the vocals and drums and bass. I figured if they got their amps up on stands or at least tilted upwards they'd at least begin to think they were loud enough in the mix. But if they had plugs they'd probably turn up louder so they could go home with ringing ears like they are used to ; }

I heard about a Montreal company who has released a new custom fit ear insert that will limit all (as in what ever the hell it is you are listening to) to 80db!

$100 Canadian

That's safe! Might mean that those guys who get rolled by fork trucks and dumptrucks should hear them coming now. :thu:

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

I haven't ever felt comfortable in any of the earplugs I've tried, they always irritate my ears, but at the moment I use the foam-plugs when necessary. Always protect your ears.

I'm gonna buy custom-molded Elacin plugs when I get the chance, they're about the best there is. I've got many friends who's got them, and haven't heard anything bad about them, except a 160 price tag which is why haven't got 'em yet.

- Bob Freebird

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Originally posted by Dead Man's Shoes:

I heard about a Montreal company who has released a new custom fit ear insert that will limit all (as in what ever the hell it is you are listening to) to 80db!

$100 Canadian

:thu:

There are several companies that sell cutom ear molds. They are the same ones that sell the cutom molds for in ear monitors. Well worth the expense, for the comfort factor. You don't really know that they are there, and you can buy inserts of various dB cut for them.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Ya, they've been around for some time now but it was interesting that these are designed from the bottom up rather than the top down.

That means you get 0 to 80db in all environments. Anything else cuts back from where it starts so with a 20db cut you get 80 of 100, 60 of 80 or 0 of 20 which is neither safe nor sound in my estimation!

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Archived