Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How 'bout playing D#, Eb, whatever it is

LiveMusic

This chord gives me fits and I've been playing my whole life. In fact, I just about DON'T play it. Man, I need to.

I was working out Sherly Crow's song "In Need." The chorus goes...

G... Dm... D#

F... /F#... G

... Dm... D#

F... /F#... G

...Dm... D#

...F... C

D#... F... /F#... G

I have never mastered the chord of X65343.

I can play the progression using barre chords, no problem. With D# being X68886.

I also tried just play XXX343 but there's too much yuckiness from the other strings ringing.

Just wondering if anyone found any tip to master this problem. Maybe just start playing a D-chord that way until I master the chord shape. Cuz of course, I play D a lot.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by LiveMusic:

This chord gives me fits and I've been playing my whole life. In fact, I just about DON'T play it. Man, I need to.

I was working out Sherly Crow's song "In Need." The chorus goes...

G... Dm... D#

F... /F#... G

... Dm... D#

F... /F#... G

...Dm... D#

...F... C

D#... F... /F#... G

I have never mastered the chord of X65343.

I can play the progression using barre chords, no problem. With D# being X68886.

I also tried just play XXX343 but there's too much yuckiness from the other strings ringing.

Just wondering if anyone found any tip to master this problem. Maybe just start playing a D-chord that way until I master the chord shape. Cuz of course, I play D a lot.

Instead of X65343 (the moveable C), try XX1343, barring the 3's with your ring finger.

Unless your play the 7th version of the moveable C, that chord can be a pain on your hand.

Vinny Cervoni

vcbluzman@hotmail.com

www.bluzberrypi.com

www.42ndstband.com

Originally posted by The Vinerator:

Instead of X65343 (the moveable C), try XX1343, barring the 3's with your ring finger.

Unless your play the 7th version of the moveable C, that chord can be a pain on your hand.

Well, I'll be damned. This helps. I was playing that X65343, barring the 3 and 3 with my index finger. But if I extend my index finger all the way across like you'd play a barre chord, and then index, middle and ring finger play the C-shape, I can do it.

So, obviously, I don't use the moveable C chord. I discovered that chord in the last year or so but I just never play it.

Anyway, this will work. Hurray for a forum!

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

I'm assuming you're fingering it (low to high) 4-3-1-2-1, right? I used to have trouble with that same voicing, but I started practicing it as an arpeggio, up & down the neck. After all, it's a 1-3-5 sequence. Slowly, I gues my hand just got used to that shape or pattern and now I have no problem with it. I do this with any chord I have problems with and eventually am able to nail 'em.

Paul

Originally posted by pauldil:

I started practicing it as an arpeggio. . . . I do this with any chord I have problems with and eventually am able to nail 'em.

Paul,

What great advice! I'm going to start doing this instead of the laborious strumming over and over again which I use . . .

Live, you're right: What a great forum!

Thanks! :wave:

Vin

Vinny Cervoni

vcbluzman@hotmail.com

www.bluzberrypi.com

www.42ndstband.com

It is just a C played with 3,4,& 5 fingers instead of 1, 2, & 3, and using the first finger to barre the three high strings.

If you think that that is a hard chord, I've got some finger-busters for you.

:thu:

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived