Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

That SRV Sound! & Boss ME 50

JCCJ

I have been watching, with great amazment, the Freeview Concert of Stevie Ray Vaughn on Direct TV. My question is: What is his guitar rig setup? What types of effects, Overdrive pedals, etc. does he use to get "that sound". If you can direct me to a web-site that may contain this information, I would appreciate it.

Also, I'm thinking of buying a Boss ME - 50 and wondered if anyone has tried one to let me know if it is a good 'stomp box' processor.

Thanks in Advance!!!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forums JCCJ! :wave: I don;t know much about SRV, but plenty of folks here will. I'll share what I can...

I think he used an old Ibanez Tubescreamer of some kind, I've heard various reports as to which actual one though. The current TS9 would be a good starting point.

A Fuzz Face too, similair to the ones Hendrix used. Caeser Diaz was Stevies tech and pretty much re-built most of the circuits. They met before SRV "made it" and I'm almost certain he did most of his amp work too.

I'm not certain which amps he used, but I think it was a Fender Deluxe Reverb? Certainly Fender, although I'm not sure of the exact model, someone will be! ;) Check out www.guitargeek.com and his rig should be listed there.

He also used a Uni-Vibe pedal, which is a very phased sounding chorus pedal that creates swoosh and swirl, also used by Hendrix quite often. Plus, an octavia pedal, which creates a tone an octave above the note you play. Guess what? Another Hendrix pedal too! You see a pattern? ;)

Don't know the ME50, sorry, but I think a member here did try one for a while, only to give up. Lee? Am I mistaken?

Anyway, processors versus stompboxes is a whole other debate entirely! Largely dependent on your amp and how you intend to use the set up.

What amp will you be using? Which guitar?

Tea. :thu:

Originally posted by JCCJ:

I have been watching, with great amazment, the Freeview Concert of Stevie Ray Vaughn on Direct TV. My question is: What is his guitar rig setup? What types of effects, Overdrive pedals, etc. does he use to get "that sound". If you can direct me to a web-site that may contain this information, I would appreciate it.

Also, I'm thinking of buying a Boss ME - 50 and wondered if anyone has tried one to let me know if it is a good 'stomp box' processor.

Thanks in Advance!!!

Stevie had an array of heavily modified combo amps and heads, and he usually had at least three on all the time. He has been credited with using various different stomp boxes, including the Ibanez Tube Screammer TS-808, Diaz Texas Square Face, Fuzz Face, Crybaby Wah, and a lot of other stuff. And, his main Strat has been said to have been sent back to the factory before he got it and the pickups rewound, whihc gave them that distinctively accented midrange hump.

But the real answer to your question as to how to get "that sound" is much more complicated than copping the same set-up that he used. Stevie's tone was as much in his hands and his head as it was in his gear. IF you really want to sound like him, you are going to have to figure out how he attacked his strings with both hands and where he got the inspiration to do it that way. You need to sit down with a lot of Stevie's records, and those of the guys he most listened to and mined for licks, Albert King, BB King, Albert Collins, Hubert Sumlin, Freddie King, all those guys. If you listen hard enough long enough, you'll hear the differences that are more than equipment and repetoire. Once you hear that stuff, you can figure out ways to imitate it, to make the same sounds. Then you'll be able to get "that sound". And man, half the fun of playing guitar is exploring the possibilities, finding sounds and places to use them, and how to make them happen when you want them to.

The guitar is a nearly infinite palette of tonal colors & possibilities. Everyone sounds the way they do because of the way they interface with the instrument. We all do it a certain way, and that makes us all sound the way we do. Anyone can get a Strat and an overdriven Fender combo, but there is much more to Stevie's tone. Good luck in finding it.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by JCCJ:

I have been watching, with great amazment, the Freeview Concert of Stevie Ray Vaughn on Direct TV. My question is: What is his guitar rig setup?

picker's got it pretty well down. However, don't forget his guitar set up: He tuned down a half-step from standard and used very heavy strings, 12's or 13's.

Vinny Cervoni

vcbluzman@hotmail.com

www.bluzberrypi.com

www.42ndstband.com

Just as imortant as what amps, pedals, pickups, strings 'n' guitars, was the way SRV used his fingers and hands. His "touch". He'd vary it, probably unconsciously and automatically at times, to get a softer/cleaner sound, or a more overdriven/meaner sound; please note that in his performance on MTV's "Unplugged"-series, Stevie- who went TRULY "unplugged", unlike many of the lesser acts to be on the show- still sounded like, well, Stevie. Just on a flat-top!

Also note that he used a lot of different guitars, and different overall degrees of clean-to-overdrive.

When I saw him live, he sounde even more like SRV than he did on any recordings or vids, if that makes any sense at all...

I feel that his playing and personna have definitely influenced my playing, but most of what I play bears little or no resemblance to his music. Sometimes I just get this feeling when I play some things, that I also got listening to some of his music, though I'm not playing one of those licks or even necesarily something "bluesy".

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

I feel that his playing and personna have definitely influenced my playing, but most of what I play bears little or no resemblance to his music. Sometimes I just get this feeling when I play some things, that I also got listening to some of his music, though I'm not playing one of those licks or even necesarily something "bluesy".

Caevan, I'm right there with you!

Vinny Cervoni

vcbluzman@hotmail.com

www.bluzberrypi.com

www.42ndstband.com

Originally posted by Teahead:

Don't know the ME50, sorry, but I think a member here did try one for a while, only to give up. Lee? Am I mistaken?

Yeah that was me. Yes I had an ME-50 for about a week. The thing gave me a headache even with no effects turned on - really colored the tone of my rig in a bad way. However I sold it to my roommate, who loves it. Go figure. I should mention for those who don't know, that I'm a total vintage snob, all my guitars and amps and pedals are ancient, and I generally turn up my nose at any digital effects for guitar. I keep trying them as time goes by thinking the latest generation will be different, but so far they've continued to suck. :D But if you're more into the modern sounds you might like the blasted thing, who knows.

SRV was also pretty "old-school" when it came to tone. I wouldn't classify his sound as "modern"... maybe edgy, loud, vintage!

Before I invested a lot on pedals, I'd get a nice tube amp... and a Dr Z Air Brake. Then crank that amp until the powertubes sing, and control the volume with the Air Brake.

A nice strat with "overwound" pickups will capture much of that SRV vibe. If you get a Tube Screamer, be sure to keep the grice fairly low, and use it more for a volume boost with a slight harmonic edge rather than cranking the gain for a more overdrive tone. SRV didn't really play that much with pre-amp distortion... but he did open up the amps to get the powertubes howlin'.

Don't forget the "other side" of SRV... just like Hendrix, to me, some of the best and most emotive playing was on the slower, jazzier stuff he did. Riveria Paradise and Lenny comes to mind.

Beautiful.

His take on Little Wing is another example of that clean, loud, sound.

Yeah baby!

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Archived