Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

~Stevie at Alpine Valley~

DIAMOND DUST

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember thinking that Clapton stayed behind and partied that night and if Steve was still doin' that thing that he might not have been on that chopper. I lived in that area of the country when it happened and had just started listening to Steve more and more. I bet Clapton is buged by the way it went down.

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

I remember thinking that Clapton stayed behind and partied that night and if Steve was still doin' that thing that he might not have been on that chopper. I lived in that area of the country when it happened and had just started listening to Steve more and more. I bet Clapton is buged by the way it went down.

I'm sure he thinks about it alot. :(

Clapton didn't stick around longer. They simply had to use two helicopters to accomodate everyone who was returning to Chicago that night, and Stevie's went down. I had seen Stevie play on the tour with Jeff Beck, in Milwaukee, and decided to skip the Alpine Valley show. They crashed about 10-15 minutes drive from where I was, at my inlaws' home in Northern Illinois. It was on the local news almost immediately. I was in shock for a while over Stevie's death and having missed that incredible show.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Clapton didn't stick around longer. They simply had to use two helicopters to accomodate everyone who was returning to Chicago that night, and Stevie's went down. I had seen Stevie play on the tour with Jeff Beck, in Milwaukee, and decided to skip the Alpine Valley show. They crashed about 10-15 minutes drive from where I was, at my inlaws' home in Northern Illinois. It was on the local news almost immediately. I was in shock for a while over Stevie's death and having missed that incredible show.

Yeah, that's the way I heard it went.

Sounds like I'm makin' it up, but that night, I had been playing all of my SRV discs; just in a sort of mood and feeling like hearing them as it'd been a while, and thinking what a marvelous career he had been making for himself, what a remarkable catalog of music. I went to sleep, listening to Couldn't stand the Weather one more time. The next day, I heard the sad news...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

The next day, I heard the sad news...
I'm sure every SRV fan has a story about that day.

I am a huge fan of SRV and Clapton.

August 27, 1990 was my first day of law school. When I drove in for an 8:20am class that morning, all I'd heard on the radio was that one of Clapton's helicopters had gone down. I couldn't have been more distracted on my first day.

I was far from relieved, and quite heart-broken at lunch time, when I'd found out that Clapton had arrived safely and Stevie Ray Vaughan had not. . . just one of those days which I will never forget.

I kicked myself over and over for months after that: SRV had played locally just weeks before. I hadn't gone because I couldn't get anyone to come with me. Since then, I've gone to a handful of shows by myself, not wanting to ever make that same mistake again.

Vinny Cervoni

vcbluzman@hotmail.com

www.bluzberrypi.com

www.42ndstband.com

I was at that August 25th show. It was the first time I had seen Stevie since his rehab and he just lit up the place. Everyone on their feet for the whole show. Clapton seemed to be in slow-motion after that. When we were walking out of the gate at the bottom of the venue, it was cool and foggy, and we walked past 2 or 3 idling choppers that

didn't look exactly new. My friend commented, "You couldn't pay me to get on one of those things." Fog stayed thick for a few hours, and I heard that the next night was even worse.

We also happened to be down in Austin, TX a few days later. Things were very sad down there. :cry:

the only time i have ever cried when a musician passed is the day Stevie died.

i remember watching cnn with my future wife and just sobbing in disbelief.

i had just seen him in May of '89, and i'm incredibly thankful i had that one chance.

some people never forget where they were when JFK got shot... i guess SRV is the guitarist version of JFK. (not implying a joke about the initials)

Originally posted by trses335:

I was at that August 25th show. It was the first time I had seen Stevie since his rehab and he just lit up the place. Everyone on their feet for the whole show. Clapton seemed to be in slow-motion after that. When we were walking out of the gate at the bottom of the venue, it was cool and foggy, and we walked past 2 or 3 idling choppers that

didn't look exactly new. My friend commented, "You couldn't pay me to get on one of those things." Fog stayed thick for a few hours, and I heard that the next night was even worse.

We also happened to be down in Austin, TX a few days later. Things were very sad down there. :cry:

Hey, neighbor! Er... ex neighbor! :rolleyes: I'm a native Highland Park'er. West Highland Park... Sherwood Forest. We used to ride the 3 or 4 miles to Deerspring pool and lived there every summer we weren't at overnight camp. :thu: Where 'bouts do you live? My brother still lives in Buffalo Grove. Just off Lake Cook and Weiland, a mile west of Milwaukee Ave.

Anyway... welcome to the forum. :thu:

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Hi Neil,

I live right near 294/Wilmot Rd./Lake-Cook Rd.

We've been there exactly 8 years. Just remodeled a bit, so probably there for a long time. Thanks for the welcome, I've been visiting here for a while, but not always time to post during work. Kids hog the computer at home.

Tom

Originally posted by trses335:

Hi Neil,

I live right near 294/Wilmot Rd./Lake-Cook Rd.

We've been there exactly 8 years. Just remodeled a bit, so probably there for a long time. Thanks for the welcome, I've been visiting here for a while, but not always time to post during work. Kids hog the computer at home.

Tom

LOL! My bro's inlaws live right there. :D If you're a guitar player, maybe the two of youse should hook up. Like I said, he's about 3 or 4 miles due west of you. Email me if you're interested. I may be up there for Thanksgiving. (though we usually stay at my inlaws' home, 45 minutes away in Lake Villa) Always like making contacts with people on the forae.

Oops! Er... sorry for hijacking your thread, Diamond Dust. :freak:

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Diamond Dust,

Thanks for posting the link to this show. I was backstage that night and still have vivid memories of it. It was among my favorite all-time concerts. I've heard many bootlegs but the sound quality here is the best yet. I finally was able to listen to it today and the goosebumps came back in force. Thanks again!

Am I the only one that ever went a SRV concert that sucked? I saw him in Louisville, KY sometime in the early 80's and the show was horrible. The sound guy had it set up so all you could hear was the kick drums. The rest was just white noise. It sure *looked* like Stevie was playing great stuff, but I couldn't hear a thing. I'd been to many, many concerts in that building, so I know that bands can sound great there, but I don't think I even made it through till the end.

This is not to dis Stevie he was a great guitarist and brought together many styles in a unique way, but that show was awful.

Jamie

But never fear, you're safe with me... Well maybe. - Les

Originally posted by jlh:

Am I the only one that ever went a SRV concert that sucked?

No. I saw him in the early 80's too just as Texas Flood came out. He was playing a mid-sized theater and it was horrible. They must have been using the same sound guy.

Originally posted by picker:

Alpine valley, Middle of the night,

Six Strings Down on a heavenbound flight.

Got a pick, strap, guitar on his back,

ain't gonna cut the angels no slack.

Heaven done called another blues stringer back home...

SIX STRINGS DOWN, Art Neville

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by PBBPaul:

Diamond Dust,

Thanks for posting the link to this show. I was backstage that night and still have vivid memories of it. It was among my favorite all-time concerts. I've heard many bootlegs but the sound quality here is the best yet. I finally was able to listen to it today and the goosebumps came back in force. Thanks again!

You bet man!! I'm glad it brought back fond memories. :):cool::thu:

DD, I love you dude :cry: And I love stevie too.

Thanks for the great links :thu:

The forumite formerly known as Cooper.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Lennon

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will finally know peace." Jimi Hendrix

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." Jimi Hendrix

Archived