Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

men, their wives and Pretty Woman

[quote]Originally posted by Anifa: [b]Skip, Just in case you were serious about your profile shots, here is a web site that offers descriptive techniques in subject lighting. The over all site is located at [url=http://www.lightingmagic.com/]Lighting Magic[/url] and more specifically centered on facial lighting (Once you reach the web page, click on images to acquire a detailed description of the lighting set up) [url=http://www.lightingmagic.com/sgalgen.htm]Lighting Magic - subject lighting[/url] Here is another site that very briefly touches base on color filtering.. [url=http://www.sgi.com/grafica/synth/]Synthetic Lighting[/url] [/b][/quote]Hey anifa, thanks for those links. This browser is geting a little mental on me, I`ll have a look a.s.a.p. Actually I was semi-serious about my photos but most of them have been taken at someone else`s behest, I`m not sure how me sounding off about the lighting would go over. But at least if I have a chance I could just mention, `say, if you move this light over about thirty degrees I won`t look like an adjustable wrench.`

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Skip, I just thoroughly browsed through that site and it's awesome. I'll probably put this link on the photography page inside my site just to keep it handy. Without offending your photographer by "telling" him that he makes you look morbid, :D turn him on to this link... he might learn a LOT about lighting technique from it. I'm looking into buying a top of the line camera that has complete night vision; it's a grand though, and not a top priority at this point. When I get a better camera, I will DEFINITELY be checking this site out and applying/experimenting the technique. Happy Browsing ;)

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

hmm, night vision-so it doesn`t turn everything green? cool... I wish I was at a level where I had a personal photographer. It`s been a variety of things-photo contests, band pictures, and the film/t.v. stuff. Most of it makes me cringe, I can look okay facing the camera I suppose, but anything else-ferget it. I`ll have a look at that site later today.

1. All this talk about Julia Robert's looks can be boiled down to "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." You don't like her looks? Maybe somebody else DOES! Is YOUR judgement that much superior to THEIRS? 2. Lee Flier, that was Liza Minelli, NOT Jamie Lee Curtis in "Arthur". Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

[quote]Originally posted by whitefang: [b]1. All this talk about Julia Robert's looks can be boiled down to "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." You don't like her looks? Maybe somebody else DOES! Is YOUR judgement that much superior to THEIRS? 2. Lee Flier, that was Liza Minelli, NOT Jamie Lee Curtis in "Arthur". Whitefang[/b][/quote]Actually, I believe the thread has turned more to photography and lighting techniques more so than whether Julia is attractive or not. Subject lighting is a topic for discussion; just turns out the Julia became the subject of discussion. Lighting is definitely a topic that is discussion worthy inside of the SSS Forum; it's directly related to stage. And in answer to your question [b]Is YOUR judgement that much superior to THEIRS?[/b] No!!! The world would be a very boring place if ALL people looked the same, and all people had the exact same tastes.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Right you are, Anifa. And as a former wedding photographer, I understand about lighting. And filtering, for that matter. How a white "mesh" filter can soften the skin, and a black "mesh" can smooth out the blems. Highlighting, color-toning and reflected lighting has properties that can affect your look on both film and stage. Even the difference from incadescent to florescent. The variables are numerous! White(lightning)fang

[quote]Originally posted by whitefang: [b] 2. Lee Flier, that was Liza Minelli, NOT Jamie Lee Curtis in "Arthur". [/b][/quote]Oh yeah, my bad, I was saying "Arthur" and thinking "A Fish Called Wanda." Don't know why. :D

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b] [quote]Originally posted by whitefang: [b] 2. Lee Flier, that was Liza Minelli, NOT Jamie Lee Curtis in "Arthur". [/b][/quote]Oh yeah, my bad, I was saying "Arthur" and thinking "A Fish Called Wanda." Don't know why. :D [/b][/quote]Curiously, I thought you may have been alluding to that movie with Dan Akroyd and Eddie Murphy - doesn't JL Curtis play a hooker in that? All I remember really from that movie is an interesting red dress for some reason... Julia Roberts is "pretty under certain conditions". Probably shouldn't wear dark lipstick. Like Jamie Lee Curtis, "it depends" probably, and it's also context.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

[quote]Originally posted by Chip McDonald: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b] [quote]Originally posted by whitefang: [b] 2. Lee Flier, that was Liza Minelli, NOT Jamie Lee Curtis in "Arthur". [/b][/quote]Oh yeah, my bad, I was saying "Arthur" and thinking "A Fish Called Wanda." Don't know why. :D [/b][/quote]Curiously, I thought you may have been alluding to that movie with Dan Akroyd and Eddie Murphy - doesn't JL Curtis play a hooker in that? All I remember really from that movie is an interesting red dress for some reason...[/b][/quote]"Trading Places" [quote][b] Julia Roberts is "pretty under certain conditions". Probably shouldn't wear dark lipstick. Like Jamie Lee Curtis, "it depends" probably, and it's also context.[/b][/quote]Tell me the room didn't get real quiet in the context of watching Curtis pole dancing in the hotel room in True Lies. :eek:
It's OK to tempt fate. Just don't drop your drawers and moon her.

"but a paid dalliance with a coke head in 1993 - in a Geo Prism I rented from Budget Rent a car in a municipal parking lot for $20 (the hooker, the lot was 50cents for 1/2 hr) to get more smack is not grounds for divorce. " So wait a minute- you rented the car from a budget agency in a parking lot? For $20? What'd you pay the hooker?

Paul Berolzheimer

Progenitor of 2 amazing sound sources

[quote]Originally posted by Chip McDonald: [b]Curiously, I thought you may have been alluding to that movie with Dan Akroyd and Eddie [/b][/quote]Trading Places! Ohhhh yeah, that was the subconscious connection! LOL... cuz I was thinking of mentioning that movie in my post too, but, well, obviously my circuits got a lot crossed there. But yeah, that was a cool movie actually.

My favorite scene from "Trading Places"...was actually in the Eddie Murphy movie "Coming to America" (yes, you read that right) where Eddie the prince gives a huge wad of cash to two beggars who turn out to be Ralph Bellamy and Don Ameche from "Trading Places"...in the same character roles...it was funny.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b] [quote]Originally posted by whitefang: [b] 2. Lee Flier, that was Liza Minelli, NOT Jamie Lee Curtis in "Arthur". [/b][/quote]Oh yeah, my bad, I was saying "Arthur" and thinking "A Fish Called Wanda." Don't know why. :D [/b][/quote]I thought you got "Arthur" and "Trading Places" confused. Curtis played a hooker in the latter. Whitefang

I'd just like to point out that my mom loves 'Pretty Woman' too, but were I to marry a hooker, she would go completely off the deep end. My dad, however, being the practical man that he is would look for some way to share in the profits or join some kind of family discount program. But he hates Richard Gere, so there you go...
Andrew Mazzocchi

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b] But yeah, that was a cool movie actually.[/b][/quote]Well, the reasons I remembered it was perhaps for other.... perky and attentive... reasons , but Akroyd's come-uppance was a good moral equivalency parable I think.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Archived