Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

i had no idea...

TELEBOY

i had read where a couple of players said the mere removal of a guitars tone pot made a noticable difference in their tone

being a curious kinda guy in this type thing

& looking for a "tone of my own"

i took a strat knockoff of mine & stripped it

including replacing the strat style switch with the little mini toggles

it has the original sc at the neck

an emg s1 in the middle

duncan invader on the bridge

i had been progressing to ever heavier string sets monitoring the differences in tone each time & each time hearing tone that is more to what i'm looking for

to the point i have 12's w/wound 3rd's on most of my stuff at this time

so on the stripped down strat i went to .014/.068's & tuned it standard to d

i'm getting close to what i want

this thing's a monster...

wonderfully crisp, articulated lows that just roar when cranked

but yet the highs are still quite bright & crisp

the style of play i'm working on is

raw gritty hot hard driving electric blues,

also i'm intrigued with some of the rock a billy players

and some of the road house rock players like lonnie mack

anyone else into the tuned down HEAVY string thing?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always liked .014" through .059" strings- tuned to standard, concert-pitch ("E")- on flat-top acoustics...

On electric, though, I favor .011" through .050" strings, tuned to standard, concert-pitch; wimpy compared to your set! :cool:

I do tune and set-up one guitar to Open-D (D-A-D-F#-A-D, low-to-high), strings gauged .012" or .013" through .054" or .056", for rootsy-bluesy rock 'n' roll fingerstyle and slide...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'd loose the wound thirds and replace them with the same gauge solid thirds. Tunes better.

I have a guitar with a switch that takes the volume/tone circuitry out of line. Great sound. You'd be surprised at how good the pickups sound with no pots or caps in the circuit.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Rock-a-billy & Blues tones:

Brian Setzer:

.009 - .042 strings

Gretsch 6120

Sperzel locking tuners

tune-o-matic bridge

Bigsby tremolo bridge

Filter-Tron humbucking pickups

Angus Young:

.009 - .042 strings

Gibson SG

tune-o-matic bridge

Gibson Vibrola bridge

Gibson PAF pickups

Both of these guys get awesome tone with what a lot of guys would consider whimpy strings. My experience tells me that the larger strings don't do much for tone and they make the guitar harder to play. YMMV

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

All I can tell you is that what works for me, works for me; what works for you, works for you!

"Tens" feel like extra light-guage strings to me; I can't stand "nines" or lighter! But, that's just me.

I agrre that Mssrs. Setzer and Young get some great tones, particularly Angus!

I like a plain 3rd on my Les Paul "sunburst"; on my Les Paul "Gem", I prefer a wound 3rd. Depends on the guitar, and how I want to set it up and play it.

Blue where did you get the info on Angus? everything i have seen states his guage as 10's. i did notice my yamaha could get nice angus tones with the 9's more than the 10's i put on. there is a certain snakiness to 9's that i do love. the only problem i have with light guages and short scales is the tuning issues on the high strings when playing with some adrenaline.

On my strat i favour flatwound 11s tuned down either 1 or 1.5 steps. I just dig that floppy bridge cable feel and nice woody THUD that they make.

I haven't actually done it, but i have considered rewiring my strat in a custom format, one of my options would take all the tone controls completely out of the guitar.

Oh, and plus some oddball pickups and switching combinations...

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by bpark@prorec.com:

I'd loose the wound thirds and replace them with the same gauge solid thirds. Tunes better.

I have a guitar with a switch that takes the volume/tone circuitry out of line. Great sound. You'd be surprised at how good the pickups sound with no pots or caps in the circuit.

Bill

exactly what i've done...

dump everything right into the amp

thats where i "tone" it

amazingly with this guitar i'm not using

the overdrive chanel at all yet

it puts the clean side of my bv60/4x12

into breakup quite easily

i'm lovin it

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

I always liked .014" through .059" strings- tuned to standard, concert-pitch ("E")- on flat-top acoustics...

On electric, though, I favor .011" through .050" strings, tuned to standard, concert-pitch; wimpy compared to your set! :cool:

I do tune and set-up one guitar to Open-D (D-A-D-F#-A-D, low-to-high), strings gauged .012" or .013" through .054" or .056", for rootsy-

bluesy rock 'n' roll fingerstyle and slide...

actually dropped to d in std. tune

it plays quite easily

it's set up with

.008 string clearance at the nut

&/050 at the 12th

frets like a dream

Originally posted by bluestrat:

Brian Setzer:

.009 - .042 strings

Gretsch 6120

Sperzel locking tuners

tune-o-matic bridge

Bigsby tremolo bridge

Angus Young:

.009 - .042 strings

Gibson SG

tune-o-matic bridge

Gibson Vibrola bridge

Gibson PAF pickups

Both of these guys get awesome tone with what a lot of guys would consider whimpy strings. My experience tells me that the larger strings don't do much for tone and they make the guitar harder to play. YMMV

it's simple physics man

more mass

more pickup activation

i'm not trying to sound like setzer or anyone else in particular...

i merely like their style of play

for incorporation into my own work

Oh, yeah, I knew exactly what you meant; I was just making sure that it was clear what I meant, too!

So, do you use a wound 3rd, or a plain one?

I'm totally schizoid about the tone of wound vs plain 3rd-strings! I love 'em both; they each have their own beauty. It depends on the guitar for me, and I also think that- especially when using heavier guages- a wound 3rd can intonate better.

Oh, yeah, I knew exactly what you meant; I was just making sure that it was clear what I meant, too!

So, do you use a wound 3rd, or a plain one?

I'm totally schizoid about the tone of wound vs plain 3rd-strings! I love 'em both; they each have their own beauty. It depends on the guitar for me, and I also think that- especially when using heavier guages- a wound 3rd can intonate better.

i like the wound 3rds

the wound strings seem to my ear

to have more "grit" in their sound

& that's what i'm after

plus i like the way they

feel under my fingers

maby it's just me

it's all subjective anyway

the only ax in the house

with a plain 3rd

is my '80's usa baretta w/floyd

i've got 10's on it

....I also think that- especially when using heavier guages- a wound 3rd can intonate better.

Should be the opposite, since the wound would have to be looser on the pegs to voice that low.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by TELEBOY:

it's simple physics man

more mass

more pickup activation

No exactly. How solidly are your pickups mounted? Are they screwed to the body or are they mounted with springs in a pickguard or mounting ring? Here's one of my theories:

Think of the guitar body as an immovable object, perfectly rigid. The string vibrates over top of the body. Is a pickup that can vibrate with the string going to pick up the sound of the string as good as one mounted rigidly to the immovable body? The pickup rigidly mounted to the body will pick up the signal from the string better, right?

Motion of one object is always measured relative to another object. What difference will solidly mounting your pickups make? I don't know for certain, but it's another variable to eliminate. :)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

it's simple physics man

more mass

more pickup activation

No exactly. How solidly are your pickups mounted? Are they screwed to the body or are they mounted with springs in a pickguard or mounting ring? Here's one of my theories:

Think of the guitar body as an immovable object, perfectly rigid. The string vibrates over top of the body. Is a pickup that can vibrate with the string going to pick up the sound of the string as good as one mounted rigidly to the immovable body? The pickup rigidly mounted to the body will pick up the signal from the string better, right?

Motion of one object is always measured relative to another object. What difference will solidly mounting your pickups make? I don't know for certain, but it's another variable to eliminate. :)

excellent point

which leads to another question

how much of a pickups production

is a result of physical vibration &

how much is a result of the string

exciting the magnetic field

Brian Setzer:

.009 - .042 strings

Gretsch 6120

Sperzel locking tuners

tune-o-matic bridge

Bigsby tremolo bridge

Angus Young:

.009 - .042 strings

Gibson SG

tune-o-matic bridge

Gibson Vibrola bridge

Gibson PAF pickups

I'm with you, Blue. The only diff is I've been dallying about with surf lately, and finding that really light strings are really, actually, hard to play surf on...because you're not doing a lot of bends...or at least not real pronounced bends...and the strings are too flappy with 9s to get a good pick attack...so I've been toying with stringing one guitar up for surf, and maybe using like a 12 or something. I've heard Dick Dale uses like a 16 for an E string!!! :eek:
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by TeleCarlos:

On the AC/.DC thing...

Its Malcolm Young (the rythm guy) who uses big fat ones and records that nice rithm guitar in the records. But really, what do I know???

seems i read that malcolm plays 14's

is that correct

malcom uses a wound g as well as barbed wire. he was quoted as saying that when they were recording he was having some tuning problems and went to heavier guages for that reason but the benefit was some big ass sound. he is a fairly hard hitter and chews picks up pretty bad.

it's simple physics man

more mass

more pickup activation

i agree on the direct mount thing blue.

it makes perfect sense. the more stable the pickup is the more movement it will see.

update:

took the striped down strat to my music lesson

yesterday & the guy i'm studying with played it

for about 3 min. & offered to buy it from me

a buddy dropped by yesterday with a sweet little fender neck-thru tele that he says was built for fender by esp

i'd been bragging to him bout my new sound

he was here for a tone shootout

it has the invader pu like the strat & volumn but no tone...same as the strat

it WAS fitted with 10's

he plugged into my bv60/4x12

i plugged into my little peavey 15w/8" that i take for lessons

the strat tone blew him away

he sheepishly left the tele with me

& i set it up w 14's for him today :D

If you want to try something interesting on a standard 3-single-soil guitar...

Cut ya cables from the middle and bridge pickups and swap them over. :eek:

This way you get he following on a 5 way switch.

Pos1 - Neck

Pos2 - Neck and Bridge (The Stevie Ray Vaughn tone)

Pos3 - Bridge

Pos4 - Bridge and Middle

Pos5 - Middle.

( You only 'lose' that Neck/Middle out of phase sound...which has never bothered me... ;) )

I wouldn't reccomend doing this with a humbucker, as it can get pretty muddy.

How can we fight ignorance and apathy?

Who knows! Who cares!

Archived