Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

inspired by the influences thread: the phases thread

i was gonna reply to the who are your influences thread, but i found it sorta difficult... i mean, except for flea (the original reason i started playing music outside the HS band), its hard for me to pinpoint stuff, and naming specific players i dont think really shows my influences

but i DO go thru alot of musical phases, and i thought maybe we could talk about that

for instance...

i started off (as i sorta said) being into like the chili peppers, faith no more, fishbone... ya know, funkpunkearly90s stuff, i liked it alot

then after that i inexplicably started getting into metal; my two big groups were metallica and dream theater... i was attracted to the complexity speed and heaviness of the songs... i was in fact one of those guys who was like, "all this punk sh*t sucks, these guys can barely play. now, time for a guitar solo!"

ugg... embarrassing :P

next i started getting into playing guitar alot, and became a devoted disciple of the great jimi hendrix

then for a while i was really into hip hop... still am actually; upon getting an outkast album from my at-the-time gf i stared to delve even deeper into the genre, and my freinds ride decked out with big 12" subs helped me along too :)

next: big beatles jag. HUGE. i had always been like, "oh, the beatles, boring, my dad likes this stuff", but i realized i had never really listened to the MUSIC before.... now they are unquestionably one of my favorite bands

then a big zeppelin jag... id always had the cds but until that time i had never really fully appreciated the soaring awesomeness of robert plant, the pounding proto-hip-hop groove of john bonham, the intricately groovy basslines of JPJ... and oh yea, that other guy :P

now how bout some fusion? thats what im sorta starting to get into now... i love 'birds of fire' (mahavishnu) and 'headhunters' (h hancock), and am really likin jaco (tho i dont know if thats what youd call 'fusion' neccesarily)

i think its important to listen to alot of different stuff... who knows what ill be into next?

ps-I LOVE MEDESKI MARTIN AND WOOD

pieces

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

steppin in a rhythm to a kurtis blow/who needs a beat when your feet just go

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This must be common for musicians. At this point I have a huge record collection, and go through phases of what the hell to pull out. Then I get deep into that artist/style for a while. Then on to the next thing.

Let's see...

Who phase

Black Sabbath phase

Trower phase

Frank Marino phase

Zappa phase

Vai phase

Power pop phase

All things Jeff Beck phase

Scofield/Stern phase

All of the above mashed into one, plus whatever I hear next phase...

And there's my style!

Click below :D

Interesting twist on a topic. I go through phases like everyone I guess. I'll try and cap them.

Started with Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass wen I was 8. I listened to those records alot, and nothing else.

Got into Elton John when I was 13 or so. His Love lies Bleeding was the song that made me want to paly guitar. (I never learned to play it because I moved on by the time I got good enough)

Got into Led Zeppilin through all my high school years. And all the heavier bands like them.

In college was a big Rush fan. And other progressive rock bands like Yes.

Went on a Jazz fusion kick for awhile and then it grew into other genres of Jazz. I never really learned to play much of the jazz stuff but still listen to alot of it.

In 1984, I went to see Eric Johnson at a club and boy did that change my perception of guitar music. I was and still am a huge fan of his. I Have a hard time saying it this is a phase since his albums are so far apart in time.

I have always dabbled in classical, especially in between bands when I am not playing much rock guitar. I have for the last couple of years been on a clssical kick and have discovered a few really great artists outside the guitar arena. I am into Yo Yo Ma and Glenn Gould alot these days. Yo Yo Ma is the only person other than Eric Johnson that knocks me out from just a pure tone perspective. They just play these notes that reach right into your soul.

I have been on a few other minor kicks through the years including swing jazz and world beat music. Luckily, all this has helped me build a pretty good record and CD collection so I can listen to almost anything I have liked in my whole musical life.

One of my friends got me into wanting to play guitar. He listened to a lot of Randy Rhoads era Ozzy. So...

1) Ozzy w/ Randy Rhoads or Black Sabbath

2) CCR

3) Megadeth and grunge

4) AC/DC & Led Zepplin

5) back to Sabbath, Megadeth & metal

6) Clutch

7) White Stripes

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Goodness! Talk about a great tack on a topic. I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention this before. :confused:

My phases begin before I began playing.

• Carpenters, Beatles Blue & Red double albums, Stevie Wonder, B.J Thomas, Harry Nilsson, Free To Be You And Me, Sesame Street
  • James Taylor, Jim Croce, Harry Chapin, Carol King
  • Kansas, Foreigner, Boston, ELO, Journey, Billy Joel, Dire Straits, Kenny Loggins, Van Halen, Dan Fogelberg, AC/DC
  • The Police, Rush, Sgt. Pepper's, Abbey Road.
  • The Cars, Joe Jackson, J. Geil's Band, Talking Heads, Dire Straits, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Huey Lewis & The News, Triumph
  • Michael Hedges, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Sammy Hagar, Robert Cray, B.B. King, Steve Vai, Van Halen
  • Dokken, Dire Straits, lots of metal bands. (Not so much glam. Not interested in Ratt, Poison, et. al.)

I can't finish! That takes me from 1972 or 3 (When I was 5 or 6.) through 1988 or so. After that it's all a blur. No, wait... In 1989 my (now) wife forced me to listen to country music and, lo and behold, I liked it. (Up til then I was an ardent country music basher, with few exceptions.)

• Randy Travis, The Judds, Alan Jackson, Vince Gill, Reba McEntire, Clint Black, Garth Brooks, Travis Tritt, Paul Overstreet, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton (always loved the last two, truth be told. ;) )
  • Collin Raye, Carlene Carter,...

(Now it's all starting to blend into one big mush! :freak:

Oddly enough, I put Van Halen down in so many phases, but my biggest influences in playing are James Taylor and Jim Croce. Those influences were a constant ever since the first time I remember hearing them. Same with the Beatles. Van Halen and SRV are huge inspirations, though I doubt I'll ever be able to play that style well.

This was fun... I just saw a large portion of my musical life pass before my eyes! I hope I'm not dying! :eek:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

i got inspired first by Ace Frehley. i got heavy into AC/DC, VanHalen and guitar rock in general.

then Judas priest was the band i got heavy into. followed by Megadeth and ZZ top.

there are tons of styles and players i listened to as well. and still do. but thats what i drove into my head when i was younger.

i love all types of music, and enjoy playing all types. if there is music playing i am usually listening very closely to what is going on under the vocals even if its a pop tune.

I kind of do the same thing. I think what it boils down to, we as players tend to get bored playing the same style so we look to other sounds to keep us interested.

Like Guitarzan said, Ace Frehley was my first influence and to this day I keep a copy of KISS 'Alive' in constant rotation. Whenever as a player I feel I need to return to my "roots" I will break into some "She" or "Cold Gin."

I do go through phases though. Right now I'm in an acoustic phase so for me it's a lot of James Taylor and Jim Croce.

I haven't really ever gotten into a folk, bluegrass, or country phase (unless you want to consider Allman Bros, Skynyrd, and Eagles as country)

Originally posted by BenderOfStrings:

I kind of do the same thing. I think what it boils down to, we as players tend to get bored playing the same style so we look to other sounds to keep us interested.

Like Guitarzan said, Ace Frehley was my first influence and to this day I keep a copy of KISS 'Alive' in constant rotation. Whenever as a player I feel I need to return to my "roots" I will break into some "She" or "Cold Gin."

I do go through phases though. Right now I'm in an acoustic phase so for me it's a lot of James Taylor and Jim Croce.

I haven't really ever gotten into a folk, bluegrass, or country phase (unless you want to consider Allman Bros, Skynyrd, and Eagles as country)

Bender of strings, Alive was my first Kiss album. My mother bought it for me when i was a pup!

Mom rocks!!!!

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

Originally posted by BenderOfStrings:

Bender of strings, Alive was my first Kiss album. My mother bought it for me when i was a pup!

Mom rocks!!!!

Ha! Yeah Alive is my favorite but Destroyer was actually my first KISS album. Mom bought the LP for me at Kmart when I was six! I had one of those portable record players that folded up like a suitcase. Remember that wierd little outro at the end of Destroyer? Absolutely scared the CRAP out of me when I was a kid!

Phases with me typically revolve around expanding the cover list and currently it's focussed on gathering a number of songs from each of these groups.

Black Crows

Chris Cornell (Soundgarten, Audioslave)

I get my tires in a groove (not a rut) and run the course until I can say I have a set worth of stuff, call it done and move on to cure the next bug in my ear.

Previous phases have included the likes of, Black Sabbath, Led Zep, Rush, ZZ Top, Bad Co., Bowie, Joe Walsh & or James Gang, Van Halen, Robin Trower, Pink Floyd, Tragically Hip, REM, U2 ...

There's a definite scene of order to that list that spans a chronology of 25 years playing. Obviously there's far more interest than this list of relative obsessions.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

sING IT oZZY :

I'm go-wing through phases

"Changes" is such an excellent song. :thu:

But, yeah... just like puberty is bound to happen, so are phases.

I'm currently in a metal phase... trying to recapture those earlier influences in order to sharpen my skills. When all else fails, go back to your roots! :cool:

Next month I'll probably ditch the old Metallica, and enter the Mozart phase. :D

Peace :)

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Me, I'm still in this guitar phase, and an internet-bullettin-board-forum phase.

(BiC, I thought of BS and Oz doin' "Changes" when I read the topic-title, too!) :D

"I'm-GO-ING-THROUGH-CHA-AN-GES!!"

http://rhee.net/bralala.gif:freak::D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Me, I'm still in this guitar phase, and an internet-bullettin-board-forum phase.

(BiC, I thought of BS and Oz doin' "Changes" when I read the topic-title, too!) :D

LOL! :D

cool

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

hmmm, it would probably be like this

1) around the age of 7 or 8 i was really into the grunge thing. Cant stand it now

2) Then i started listening to bands like Nine Inch Nails and Smashing Pumpkins for a few years, until the beginning of 9th grade

3) i had my guitar for a few years, never really cared to learn until my friend got a bass and we tried to form a band in 9th grade (and we did)

That was the ozzy and mostly sabbath stage for me

4) Started listening to floyd

5) Started getting stoned and listening to floyd :D

6) Zeppelin

7) Along with zeppelin comes a fascination with the blues that will probably be with me all the time

8) got out of the blues for a while and started listening to van halen and iron maiden a lot

9) Then i started getting into the blues again by listening to Rory Gallagher (still do a lot)

10) Danny Gatton and Roy Buchanan

11) old blues recordings

Now i'm listening to practically all of these bands and artists, but mostly the blues :D

I dont know if this is completly correct but probably pretty damn close

Fun thread!

-Harcore "skate punk" phase in jr. high (playing bass at this point). DK, Descendents, Suicidal Tendencies, Flipper, Black Flag. Also listened to a lot of Cream at this time.

-Blues and Early R&R phase (started playing guitar). Robert Cray, Albert Collins, Albert King, Missippi Fred McDowell, Chuck Berry, Eddie Cochrane, etc.

-Hendrix phase (overlapped Blues Rock and Shred phases).

-Blues Rock/Classic Rock phase. Santana, Allmann Bros., Dire Straits, Cream, Derek & the Dominoes.

-Shred phase. Ywingie, Cacophony, Suicidal Tendencies (again), Satriani, Megadeth, Vai, Vinnie Moore, Metallica, Living Colour.

-Van Halen phase.

-"Funk Metal" and Hip Hop phase. Fishbone, Chilli Peppers, Psychfunkapus, Public Enemy, Rage Against the Machine, Bad Brains, De La Soul, Black Sheep, NWA, Ice Cube, Ice T.

-Electronic phase (pretty much stopped playing guitar). Goldie, Portishead, U-Ziq, Roni Size, Tricky, Massive Attack, Aphex Twin. Also lots of late period Coltrane.

-"Tele Twang" phase (still in this). Danny Gatton, Redd Volkaart (sp?), Merle Haggard, Dwight Yoakam, Jimmy Bryant.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

My mom-in-law bought that TV for Lilly last Christmas (and my bro-inlaw bought her the matching DVD player. :D )

I've yet to see anything as disturbing as that on her TV, and with luck I never will. :freak:

That's just wrong!

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I go through phases very quickly because I'm always looking for something new. I never totally lose affection for a style after a phase, I just add it to the list of stuff I like.

Some recent phases:

Bollywood music

Bhangra (Bally Sagoo)

South African swing

Ethiopian music (Aster Aweke)

Jazz guitarists I previously overlooked(Grant Green, Kenny Burrel, George Benson)

B-3 organists (esp. Joey DeFranceso, Medeski)

Hard Rock with Hip Hop influence (Kid Rock, Korn)

IDM (Squarepusher, Mouse on Mars)

Burlesque (stripper) music

So much good music to explore, so little time and money!

I am trapped in one big phase...

Pity that I'm out of phase with most of the rest of the music loving world!

The 1st album I ever owned was The Nolan Sisters 'Dont Make Waves'.

Thankfully, that had NO EFFECT on my future tastes or phases. :D

When I 1st started playing, it was so I could score some pussy!

I was a science/maths nerd, and suspected I was going to die a virgin, and noticed musicians got a lot more ass than nerds...so the choice was made for me, by my groin.

I started with Sex Pistols, SRV and Van Halen.

Then I found Black Sabbath. Not Ozzy era...The short lived Ian Gillan era and then the Dio days.

From there I went into a Vivian Campbell/Van Halen haze.

Then were my 'Roadrunner' & 'Shrapnel' days.

Racer X and Paul Gilbert. Jason Becker. Joey Tafolla. Marty Friedman. Tony MacAlpine...

Then 'Surfing with the Alien' came out and legitimised 5 minute guitar wank-offs, and I was in heaven! :cool:

Then it was Vai.

And everything else was crap...

The next big phase was Jazz.

I got there via Alan Holdsworth, somehow...

John Coltrane and Bill Evans...legends and inspirations. Lost too soon.

The next few years were dominated With Vai, Holdsworth, Robin Ford and Tuck Andress.

And since then I've become a student of everything.

If it's played on a guitar, I've tried to learn it.

Lap Steel, Travis Picking, Flamenco...you name it...

After 5 years off the road, getting married and raising a family, I've recently gotten the bug and am looking to work the boards again.

And surprise surprise...

The stuff I'm using to regain my chops?

Vai, Gilbert and Holdsworth

Now if only there had of been Powertab...or even the internet...when I started...oh boy... :rolleyes:

How can we fight ignorance and apathy?

Who knows! Who cares!

Archived