Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

D'jya Ever Notice... ??

Caevan O’Shite

...The darker areas on your guitar's fretboard, from your fingers' oils, that show where you play the most?

I can see that I play over a LOT of the fretboard quite evenly on my main, standard-tuned axe; while the one that I tune to Open-D exhibits evidence of a pronounced loitering in the higher strings from the 5th-fret to the 22nd. There's actually very little darkening under much of the 6th- and 5th-strings on the Open-D axe, as I tend to just play them open as pedals and drones beneath chords, double-stops, and string-skipping intervals like "sixths".

How 'bout you?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep, I've noticed that. I also notice that some positions have more fret wear than others. I wonder if one could indentify the style played on a certain guitar by looking at fret wear and finger oil-stained fretboards...??
Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

Yeah, I'm sure my stolen guitar had plenty... :wave::D

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Originally posted by BiC:

Sorry to bring it up again. What kind of guitar was stolen?
...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

Yup. I notice that on all my guitars.

I actually have tried to put this to good use. When I noticed the areas that were the most played, I made an effort to practice in the zones that were "cleaner". I figured that it must mean that I'm ignoring those regions of the fretboard for some reason, and working on those spots should improve my playing (or at least vary it a bit).

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by tiger85:

Originally posted by BiC:

Sorry to bring it up again. What kind of guitar was stolen?
Pic & Description

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

It still saddens me to look at that pic of my guitar... I can still feel her within my hands...

sigh :(

Originally posted by FunkJazz:

try this avatar, BiC... a little more to size :D

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v300/funk_jazz/bic3.gif

I was going to ask you!

How about a few more samples larger than the next... I wanna see detail! :D

Archived