Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone get bored of their guitar and would like a new one?

PeeMonkey

Well heres the situation, I have like 3 guitars and even though I just modded my fender stratocaster with EMG pickups I kind of want to sell it off for another guitar which I like much better. There is nothing wrong with the guitars but its just that the strat just doesnt cut it for me, mainly because ive always loved the les paul and their look. I kno looks arent alot but for some reason i just want to sell off my other guitars and either buy a Fernandes Ravelle or a Les Paul. Will someone leave some comments to maybe get my mind put straight so I dont make a bad decision and regret it later :P OR if this is a good idea reinforce it :D

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear ya' man! The first time I saw Ace Frehley play a Les Paul cherry sunburst, I wanted to play guitar and THAT was the guitar I had to have! Since then I've owned 2 (an 89 custom and a 2002 Standard Premium Plus).

For me, there IS no other guitar but a 'Paul.

My friend put emgs in his strat and the same thing happened, that coulda possibly did it for you. i bought that Agile 2500 (check my sig) ill let you know how that goes, its lp style cherry sundurst, grovers, p90s...sounds sweet and for $230 you wont have to sell off you fender...

Gotta love GAS, seriously I am affected by it right now, every les paul and fernandes ravelle out there is calling my name, its saying there is one at my local shop with my name already on it! Guitars...... mMmMmmMmmmm

"Come to Butthead..." ;):D

http://members.aol.com/neilbergmn/basic/kburst.jpg

http://members.aol.com/neilbergmn/basic/kp90.jpg

Oh, wait- I was supposed to help talk you out of that... !! :D:D:thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I've come to the conclusion that I don't want to sell any gear (except maybe a couple of crappy guitars I don't play, but I won't get any more than 10-20 so why bother...) because I think I'll regret it someday. I'd rather save up some money and get the new piece of gear I want. Just my 0.2 cents.

- Bob Freebird

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cavedawg I'm thinking about putting a pick guard

and some strap locks on my LP any suggestions

hello cave you out there?oh and I'd like to take

the covers off the pickup's

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

"Come to Butthead..." ;):D

http://members.aol.com/neilbergmn/basic/kp90.jpg

Oh, wait- I was supposed to help talk you out of that... !! :D:D:thu:

Hahahahaha!!! Classic!

Hey, mine looks almost identical to that first pic! Except mine have the burstbucker pickups with the actual pickup covers on them (nickel plated) You gotta admit, that cherry sunburst finish is hands down the most beautiful finish!

No Paul at present but man Cherry Sunburst, Tobacco SB, and Gold are my favs. Whoops! Don't sell the Strat!
...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

i like faded bursts, like my AES 620.

not mine, but just like it. http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/images/30N/AES620-FADBRST_front.jpg

i am still dialing this one in, i may need 11's.

i used to get bored of my guitars but lately i have been very happy. i do need a strat style and will have to wait for that one, the wife would kill me.

Peemonkey- ya whizzin' li'l' lesser ape you- Don't get rid of your supercharged Strat, you'll regret it one day, I garauntee! Everyone I know who's done a similar wheel'n'deal has always kicked themselves for ditching something that they never could quite exactly replace later on. If you really want a Les Paul or similar axe, it's truly worth waiting for!

Björn Fröberg- I heartily agree; if I'm ditching or trading it, it really won't do it for me!

DARKLAVA- These Dunlop "Straploks" rule. They're like extra insurance against dropping and damaging that fine axe!

CLONK http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon2.gif http://www.jimdunlop.com/products/accessories/straplocks/images/STRAPLOC.gif LINK TO DUNLOP 'PAGE

They have several different models, some of which will work in a pinch with a conventional strap-end without the mating hardware, as well. Some will "flush mount", and the "original" models (like I have on my guitars) can be recessed, or counter-sunk, for a similar low-profile installation.

You may need to have the diameter of the screw-holes for the strap-buttons very slightly enlarged, to guard against splitting the mahogany. The job MUST be absolutely centered and IMPOSSIBLE to jar out of line or you'll wind up with a mess that'll have to be plugged and redrilled! And, the person drilling must fully understand the minor- and major-diameter of threads so as to avoid winding up with too large of an otherwise perfect hole! (Experience with wood, and guitars, would be a big plus all-around, too...)

When mounting the mating-hardware on the strap-ends, apply a tiny amount of "Loc-Tite" thread-locker, to prevent future loosening and guitar-dives. It happened to me once! The Loc-Tite thread-locker will make everything allright there.

Also, get a tube of Archer-brand Teflon gel lube at Radio Shack; apply a tiny amount to the bearing surfaces of the Straploks to reduce squeaks and pings that can actually resonate through the guitar's body and pickups to your amp and speakers. Also put a tiny dab under each string on the bridge-saddles and nut-slots for tuning stability. Good stuff!

:idea: If your Les Paul is kinda neck-heavy when standing, you could always subtly shift the balance's center-of-gravity by recessing the tail-end Straplok, while leaving the upper-bout's Straplok standing tall; think of it as being similar to lengthening the upper-"horn" on a Strat or P-Bass for balancing on a strap. I plan on doing that sometime- "when I get around to it"- to my red "Ruby" with "soapbars", as it has a fat, full, round neck and ever so slightly wants to tilt that way against your hand.

As for the pickguard, first I recommend a real Gibson Accesories unit, to be sure of a good looking fit (if it don't, return that mutha!). T see if you really like the way it looks on there- hiding the figured maple and all- before any drilling, put a folded-over little piece of double-stick tape or similar stuff (on the binding ONLY) to stick the bracket to, and gently press the rest of the 'guard between the pickup-surrounds. You can then get a real good idea of how it'll look and feel before you commit and wind up with emty holes (like the previous owner did with mine). For looks, and 'cause I play fingerstyle anyways, I took mine off.

Don't mees with the covers on those oickups, if you just have to change the looks or want a somewhat brighter sound, put in different pickups altogether. Too many times people have accidentally botched their pickups that way, even though it ain't rocket science!

BenderOfStrings- Cool! :cool: Mine has a lot more "Vintage Yellow" in the middle of the top than the picture shows- trick of the light- but the back, sides, and neck are pure Cherry red! I LOVE "Heritage Cherry Sunburst" (Or just pure Cherry) with real nickel hardware!

Guitarzan- Those are friggin' GREAT guitars! I really like them, I almost wish I had an excuse to buy one!

And, yeah- "elevens"- especially DR "Pure Blues" nickel-wrap round-core strings in .011" through .050"- RULE on a Les Paul or similar axe. :thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hey, Caev -

Since you seem to be an expert(or at least reasonably well informed) about the Straploks.

Are there potential problems (etc.) with putting these onto a hollow-body? I was just thinking about putting a set on my Artcore (almost had a major mishap at rehearsal last night :eek: ), and I wasn't sure about drilling (etc.) with a hollow guitar.

Any thoughts, my friend?

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Yer wise oh great one.The pickup thang is I

heard if you take the cover off it gives you

a little more punch,plus I like the look.

Does the nickle figure in the tone?What's the deal

with nickle? :confused:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Well the situation is I have enough money in hand plus the extra from these guitars if I sell them to buy me a les paul or something cheaper.

So far I kno the RG guitars resell values arent great and the fenders are still pretty stable I think.

The 2 Guitars are a:

Fender Stratocaster with the EMG's

Stock Ibanez RG-Series

Not really much equipment but yeah those are about it, im holding on to my acoustics though

The tone I like are those similar to Slash, Zakk Wylde, Randy Rhoads.

However, I do like the metallica type tones too and I know kirk uses mostly alder bodies with EMG 81's. And Zakk uses the EMG 81/85, mainly the main thing is i dont like the look of a Strat and love the Les Paul look hehehe. Probably just a phase im going through but will eventually be put back into check eventually

Music Styles I mostly play are metal, rock, hard rock, and some blues.

Originally posted by Peemonkey:

Well the situation is I have enough money in hand plus the extra from these guitars if I sell them to buy me a les paul or something cheaper.

So far I kno the RG guitars resell values arent great and the fenders are still pretty stable I think.

The 2 Guitars are a:

Fender Stratocaster with the EMG's

Stock Ibanez RG-Series

Not really much equipment but yeah those are about it, im holding on to my acoustics though

The tone I like are those similar to Slash, Zakk Wylde, Randy Rhoads.

However, I do like the metallica type tones too and I know kirk uses mostly alder bodies with EMG 81's. And Zakk uses the EMG 81/85, mainly the main thing is i dont like the look of a Strat and love the Les Paul look hehehe. Probably just a phase im going through but will eventually be put back into check eventually

Music Styles I mostly play are metal, rock, hard rock, and some blues.

What you might look at is a Zakk Wylde signature Epiphone. It's a fraction of the cost of the Gibson Zakk sig and it still has the great pickups!

i would say by your description of the stuff you like and the artists you mentioned that a Les Paul is what you want. go for it. but check all your options out. there are many Lp style guitars that have good and bad points. and while i know alot of people love emg's don't forget there are regular pickups that slay for metal tones as well.

if you want to watch your cash there are a pile of axes that fit the bill for a good price. and you can find a sweet deal on used Les Pauls.

maybe you can get a Lp and still keep one of your other guitars so you have the "strat" angle covered as well.

K thnx for the feedback, I dont want to rush this but im just going to consider this option for now, ill probably go try out a bunch of guitars for hours tommorow at GC and bug them like crazy. But IF i was going to sell my guitars, where is the best place to sell it? Do most stores who buy it give you a bad price for it?

Also what do you guys think of a price for my Fender Stratocaster (MIM), Olympic white, EMG 81 in bridge, two EMG S's in the mid and neck. Also has EMG SPC + EMG EXG in it.

Yeah PeeMonkey look at different models of 'Pauls. The studios are real nice and much cheaper than the standards or the customs. I almost bought a desert burst studio at my local music store but decided I needed an amp more.

One of these days I'm going to pick up a used Les Paul and put a pair of D'Marzio super distortions in it.

Originally posted by tiger85:

No Paul at present but man Cherry Sunburst, Tobacco SB, and Gold are my favs. Whoops! Don't sell the Strat!

Have you looked at any of the newer sunburst colors that Gibson has put out in the last couple years?!? The desert burst is gorgeous! 2nd only to the cherry imo. Also the honey burst is very nice! Similar to the tobacco (infact I think it has replaced the tobacco as I don't even see that as an option anymore).

What do you guys also think about the Fernandes Ravelle Elite/ Deluxe, I have read many reviews on them and they are astonishly good, even a few Les Paul users have said that these are great buys for the price and are a great deal. So Ravelle or Les Paul?

guitarplayer did a review of the Elite model and i was very interested in the sustainer. i have heard some sound clips of guitars with sustainers and they are very nice. even while clean they have a nice lead tone.

they have a very different look, which may not hold your love as long as a classic shape like a Les Paul. but i really like the look (minus the swiss cheese pickguard). the guitar player (not Slash) in Velvet revolver uses the ravelle.

yah, dave kushner I believe, I've been very interested in the guitar and love the look, also the price is very affordable for me ATM, just getting others opinions on whether the Paul or this, mostly I think its biased between people

some people don't like to stray too far from the standard Les Paul or strat. no harm there. but you CAN find great guitars if you dare to look, and i believe the Ravelle is definately worth trying out. the thing is don't spend more than you need to.

try out a Les Paul and the Ravelle (try several). use your ears and go over both guitars and look for flaws. thats how i bought my Yamaha aes 620 and Godin LGsp90.

i basically have two variations on a LP and i only paid $ 1300.00 Canadian. those are new fully warranteed guitars with cases.

now i would love to have a Les Paul, but i don't really want to spend 2500 plus for one guitar unless it has the tone of the gods.

this is only my preference, and i am only doing what is right for me. but i am happy with what i have.

Hmmmm I really like the Cherry Sunburst, too. It was my fav, but the Vintage Sunburst of my Custom has really grown on me. They are all good. The important thing is they play as good as they look!

Vintage Sunburst Custom Photo

Back on topic:

Peemonkey,

I know nothing about the Fernandes Ravelle Elite/ Deluxe so can't help you there. Have you played a Les Paul yet? I played Strat-style guitars for years and played my first LP about a year and a half ago- now I've got 3 of them. They are much different in feel than the Strats. First thing, make sure you like that feel and that you are comfortable with it. Get a guitar that feels right to "you", not one that just looks good. I can't even play Strats anymore and even traded in my Telecaster.... LP's have spoiled me, but they are not for everyone.

As far as selling goes you can probably do better on Ebay than if you trade them in although it's more hassle. Never sold any gear on Ebay myself, I always trade in. I buy a lot (A LOT!) of gear from the same local music store and get fair prices on trade ins. When you go try out the guitars, take one of yours with you so you will have a direct comparison. New stuff is always cool, but you may find what you have is not so bad.

Tell us what you decide!

Archived