Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ideal Blues Amp Match For An ES-335

Quarterwave

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not take a look at the "Champ Replicas" that Myles recommends? They're about $650. Click here to check them out. Or do a search for them and dig up the comments of other forumites who've bought one.

Or how about a Fender 15w Blues Jnr? Even the 40w Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, if you need more power. There are countless others and I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions.

Lower powered Fender tube amps will definitely get you the kind of tone that you're after.

Tea.

The reissue Fender Super Reverb should fit the bill. For not too much more (and maybe even less) you could get an original blackface or silverface model from the mid-late 60s/early 70s.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

I like the Ampeg Jet II or a Pro Jr. (I perfer the Ampeg), unless you can find an older tube amp like a Fender Princeton or a Gibson GA-8T or Gibsonette. Supro made some killer little amps too.

The idea is to get something with a clean preamp and then crank it enough to overdrive the power tubes a little. That's how you get a good blues tone. ;)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

The tweed Peavey Classic amps are a great value. I really lik the 30 watt model with a single twelve inch speaker. All tube circuit. Very classic Fender type tone for not much cash. List is $599 (US). I suspect street price is 15-20% less.

Here's a LINK to the Peavey products page with info on this one.

I think this would be a nice match for a 335 if you're playing the blues. :thu:

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

How about a silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb? A classic combo with a 335!

If you run across a used Carvin Vintage 33- a 33-watt EL84 powered cannel-switching 1x12 combo- that might be a very good match for you, just give it a fair shake if the tubes in it are getting tired. I bought one used a couple of years ago for $300.00, and damn if it isn't a great sounding blues amp with my Les Paul!

At home, for general playing and PC direct-recording experiments, I use a Johnson J-Station and a pair of AKG headphones. But whenever I break out the Carvin Vintage 33 to jam with anyone or play in a local pub, it always surprises me with very nice bluesy tones, clean, overdriven, and distorted. We're kinda growing on each other! I am glad that I bought it.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

To my ears, the finest electric guitar tone in the world is the neck pickup of an ES335 run through a dimed Marshall Super Lead stack. Of course you can't stand within 50 yards of it but it sounds unbelievable. My own advice would be to pick up a used Fender Bandmaster or Bassman from around 1965 with a 2X10 or 2X12 cab. You can find them very reasonably priced and they are virtually indestructible.

Hi All,

Thx fr all yr replies. FWIW, I'm just looking for a nice hot-overdriven lead sound and that Fender-ish clean tone, with enough volume to get way over live drums and an Ampeg SVT bass amp, without having to mic up.... - kinda like that Cream-era Clapton or maybe even a Black Crowes type of vibe.

I was using a good friend's Dr Z with an Ibanez TS808 @ a church gig that I used to play, but things just got too busy for me to get out to the church each Saturday afternoon, so I no longer have access to that amp. Although, something like that sound would be great....

Budget-wise, I'm looking @ spending around US$700 (give or take) and I need to be able to get parts for it fairly easily, b/c I plan on touring soon, and I'd hate to get stuck in some small town, with an amp that no guitar tech has ever seen before.

Thx again guys for all of yr suggestions.

B Rgds,

Q'Wave

Based on your reply, I can still recommend a tweed Peavey Classic. You're going to want to go to the 50 watt version though. They have a 4X10 and 2X12 version. These things sound very good and are extremely reliable.

List is $949 US. Street price would be discounted from there in the US. I'm assuming you would be doing mail order from Australia.

Here's a LINK to the 50 watt version.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Likewise, the Carvin Nomad (1x12) and Bel Air (2x12) are fifty-watt versions of the Vintage 33 that I had recommended. I'd try the Vintage 33 (if possible) first, though, as it is a loud and persistant 33-watts!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived