Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Very Old Big Muff Pi??

ricknbokkerv2.0

Help me out here, kids.

A friend loaned me a stompbox yesterday. I needed a distortion pedal in a hurry, and he hands me a Big Muff Pi.

Here's the deal..... I've never seen one like it. It has a very heavy bottom box... what looks like 3/16" steel (!!), and the top is plastic with black printing. Not a bit of stainless steel on it. This really threw me off, because being familiar with Electro Harmonix stuff, I thought they all had stainless cases for the most part.

I'll try to post a pic, but don't hold yer breath, so here's a description of the top panel and controls....

The distortion knob is centered at the top.

The volume knob is to the left and below the distortion knob.

The tone control is to the right.

The script saying "DISTORTION", "VOLUME", and "TONE" are printed in what looks like classic "Musicplayer Forum" script.

It says "BIG MUFF Pi" in carnival type script at the top of a black field.

In the center of the black field is a huge pushbutton... unlike any I've ever seen. 5/8" in diameter, I figure.

When depressed, it stays depressed until you hit it again.

At the bottom of the black field it says

"ELECTRO_HARMONIX/SOVTEK. (with Sovtek's "half star" logo)

At the extreme bottom right, it says "made in RUSSIA".

So.... what do I have? Is it worth more than $20? That's what my friend offered to take for it.

The sound is... ungodly and wonderful and horrible and..... beautiful!! I ran my trusty Hohner Les Paul Custom copy through it into a 1x 10 transistor combo amp. Think.... the nastiest Hendrix tone you can imagine, or Neil Young's "Hey Hey, My My" And that's at 3/4 on the distortion control. :D The tone control has a different flavor for every number... very expressive.

Hopefully, you folks can shed some light on this thing for me? Thanx!!

Ricky

Click on some ads once in a while!! :) -------------->

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The OD-Green, made-in-Russia version of the EH Big Muff Pi pedal was the earlier of the new Electro Harmonix line.

EH had folded years before, and this was the unit (Mike Mathews?) used for their re-introduction to the market when the company was reborn (first as Sovtek).

Sorry, it's not some rare old weird collector's item; though their sound is probably fine, and the metal casing and heavy-duty footswitch are probably better, many folks either want an old original from the '70s, or a newer "reissue" that looks like the old ones.

$20.00 sounds like a very good deal, if you like the sound, go for it!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by ricknbokkerv2.0:

http://www.electroharmonix.ronsound.com/articles/sovtekbm.html

I traded a Snarling Dogs Mold Spore wah to the guy that owns that website for my new American made Big Muff Pi. Great pedal. The guy that originally owned and operated Electro-Harmonix started Sovtek after the Berlin wall fell. After making enough money with Sovtek, he started EH up again, first reissuing the Big Muff pedals under the Sovtek name.

I haven't had the opertunity to compare my Big Muff Pi with any of the earlier models, but it's a great pedal! I actually like it better than the Fuzz Face, although building one would be a nightmare for me without etched circuit boards.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Ah while were on the subject of these pedals...

I found a Big Muff Pi from 1972 in my attic the other day. First,how much would it go for on eBay. Now, how much would it go for on eBay if it wasnt working..?

I used to have an old original '70s EH Big Muff Pi, and it was a great fuzztortion device. Really cut through anything, and sustained for decades. Put it with a weird flange or envelope filter or something, and man, you were in drugstore-mishap territory, for sure! Play around with volume-knob "pinky"-swells with a slow flange/heavy on the regeneration, and a lot of reverb and/or delay, and it sounds almost "synthy", in a 'Wall-era Pink Floyd kinda way...

I thought I'd just get another one, years later, but the several that I tried just weren't quite the same; but I was also using a different guitar, amp, even different strings!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Cowbell:

I found a Big Muff Pi from 1972 in my attic the other day. First,how much would it go for on eBay. Now, how much would it go for on eBay if it wasnt working..?

If you're going to keep it, I'd repair it for you (provided you pay for shipping and parts).

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

You bastard. :mad::D

Sweet dude.

Shut up and play.

I thought I'd just get another one, years later, but the several that I tried just weren't quite the same
There were versions of the Big Muff Pi that used OPAMPs (chips instead of discrete transistors). The newer american made Big Muff's are made with discrete transistors, and sound pretty good.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

the big muff is one of my favorite pedals. i have a late 70's model which is what the reissue graphics are based on. i found it in working condition for $50 at guitar center. that thing is a monster of a pedal. i've never used another one so i can't say how they compare. i figured i couldn't go wrong for 50 bucks.

mine is like the one on the right at this link

http://www.electroharmonix.ronsound.com/articles/reissue/comparebm.html

Originally posted by The Life of Brian O'Shite:

I used to have an old original '70s EH Big Muff Pi, and it was a great fuzztortion device. Really cut through anything, and sustained for decades. Put it with a weird flange or envelope filter or something, and man, you were in drugstore-mishap territory, for sure! Play around with volume-knob "pinky"-swells with a slow flange/heavy on the regeneration, and a lot of reverb and/or delay, and it sounds almost "synthy", in a 'Wall-era Pink Floyd kinda way...

I thought I'd just get another one, years later, but the several that I tried just weren't quite the same; but I was also using a different guitar, amp, even different strings!

word

right now for my bass im running a big muff and a bass balls, and they are indeed capable of creating some weird (aka trippy :P ) noises...

hopefully weirdly funky

peace grrrrrrreases :thu:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

steppin in a rhythm to a kurtis blow/who needs a beat when your feet just go

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Help me out here, kids.

A friend loaned me a stompbox yesterday. I needed a distortion pedal in a hurry, and he hands me a Big Muff Pi.

Here's the deal..... I've never seen one like it. It has a very heavy bottom box... what looks like 3/16" steel (!!), and the top is plastic with black printing. Not a bit of stainless steel on it. This really threw me off, because being familiar with Electro Harmonix stuff, I thought they all had stainless cases for the most part.

I'll try to post a pic, but don't hold yer breath, so here's a description of the top panel and controls....

The distortion knob is centered at the top.

The volume knob is to the left and below the distortion knob.

The tone control is to the right.

The script saying "DISTORTION", "VOLUME", and "TONE" are printed in what looks like classic "Musicplayer Forum" script.

It says "BIG MUFF Pi" in carnival type script at the top of a black field.

In the center of the black field is a huge pushbutton... unlike any I've ever seen. 5/8" in diameter, I figure.

When depressed, it stays depressed until you hit it again.

At the bottom of the black field it says

"ELECTRO_HARMONIX/SOVTEK. (with Sovtek's "half star" logo)

At the extreme bottom right, it says "made in RUSSIA".

So.... what do I have? Is it worth more than $20? That's what my friend offered to take for it.

The sound is... ungodly and wonderful and horrible and..... beautiful!! I ran my trusty Hohner Les Paul Custom copy through it into a 1x 10 transistor combo amp. Think.... the nastiest Hendrix tone you can imagine, or Neil Young's "Hey Hey, My My" And that's at 3/4 on the distortion control. :D The tone control has a different flavor for every number... very expressive.

Hopefully, you folks can shed some light on this thing for me? Thanx!!

Ricky

check your pm box

bluestrat,

SWEET! Man, I really don't need a Big Muff....my dad (who it belongs to) wants to put it on eBay. But I think it would go for much more if it was actually working....still have the cardboard box it came with. I'll try and PM you about it.

bluestrat,

SWEET! Man, I really don't need a Big Muff....my dad (who it belongs to) wants to put it on eBay. But I think it would go for much more if it was actually working....still have the cardboard box it came with. I'll try and PM you about it.

You might change your mind if I get it workin'! :thu:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Well, I've been using the Muff for a week now. It definately has issues.

All I can say is, if you like bangin chords through this thing, you guys are more twisted than I thought... :D

I'm digging it on the leads, but rhythm? Ugh... everyone in the band gives me nasty looks when I try that, and sometimes the sound is literally painful!

Definately an interesting tool, though...

Ricky

Well, I've been using the Muff for a week now. It definately has issues.

All I can say is, if you like bangin chords through this thing, you guys are more twisted than I thought... :D

I'm digging it on the leads, but rhythm? Ugh... everyone in the band gives me nasty looks when I try that, and sometimes the sound is literally painful!

Definately an interesting tool, though...

Ricky

What kind of setup are you using it with? Most of the really great sounding setups are humbuckers--> Big Muff Pi--> clean tube amp. Jack White and Billy Corgan are the Big Muff poster boys. :D

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

I'm pushing two Gibson 'Buckers through it to an eq, and then right into the PA, since I'm currently lacking a guitar amp.

Heck... I'm mainlt the bassist in the band. Only recently decided that I'b be handling "some" guitar duties.

I guess an amp is in order? :rolleyes:

Ricky

I'm pushing two Gibson 'Buckers through it to an eq, and then right into the PA, since I'm currently lacking a guitar amp.

I guess an amp is in order? :rolleyes:

Ricky

Yeah, I'd say so. I would think that most pedals would sound horrible straight into the PA. Also, I've never had an EQ pedal, so I'm not sure how that factors in.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Actually, the EQ I'm running into is a twin 15 band rack mount unit. I had very little time to play with the sound, so maybe I can improve things.

I'm thinking I'll hang on to the beast for the occasional Cheap trick tune and some lead. Hell... if my bandmates give me any trouble, I'll just crank the beast up and let fly! At 10 on the tone control... this thing is like an aural lazer... LOL!

Btw... I want to thank everyone for the great replies and info. Twisted, some of you may be.... but you guys rock. :D

Set the EQ flat and see what you get. I'm not sure what the frequency response of most guitar amps would be. I still think that you'd be better off losing the EQ and running straight into a guitar amp. The Big Muff Pi really is a great pedal. It's a total guitar tone destruction tool! :thu:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

This thread is likely spent but I'd appreciate anyone with an old early '70s Bigg Muff that uses a handmade board with 4 FS36999 335 transistors (no ICs on this one)& big silver axial caps, to send me a photo of the insides. I've got a "pre-mass production" model that I gutted years ago and would like to reassemble. Unfortunately I just cut the wires pulled out the guts and reused the box without writing anything down. Thus far I have been unable to find anyone who has a layout with this brown board using those trace kits for the etching.

I thought I'd relive how cheesie it sounded.

Thanx

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Originally posted by Guitars are like shoes. But louder.:

This thread is likely spent but I'd appreciate anyone with an old early '70s Bigg Muff that uses a handmade board with 4 FS36999 335 transistors (no ICs on this one)& big silver axial caps, to send me a photo of the insides. I've got a "pre-mass production" model that I gutted years ago and would like to reassemble. Unfortunately I just cut the wires pulled out the guts and reused the box without writing anything down. Thus far I have been unable to find anyone who has a layout with this brown board using those trace kits for the etching.

I thought I'd relive how cheesie it sounded.

Thanx

i had a link for a guy that worked for EH long ago and actually designed some of the pedals. i think he designed the short lived opamp big muff. he repairs the old pedals. i lost the link but i'll try my best to find it fo you. i saw him posting on the harmony central boards a while back but i don't recall his name. he seemed to know those eh pedals inside out.

ok i found it. here's the link

http://howard.davis2.home.att.net/

this is another link of an interview at the eh man site

http://electroharmonix.ronsound.com/articles/davis.html

I got in touch with Howard the other day and he looked at the picture of my BM and said it was too old for him to have any experience with and that it was likely in need of upgrades or replacement.

I'll start to check the components myself and see what I can find.

Here's the sophistication of it all. http://www3.sympatico.ca/kelly.family/IMG/MyMuff.jpg

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Archived