Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

WindowsXPpro is an incredible waste of money

[quote]Originally posted by = stevepow =: [b] The activation thing: I needed to do this at 3:00 am on Sunday once - I thought boy have I screwed myself (not boy did Microsft screw me - because no one from Microsoft had anything to do with what I was doing). I had already used up my re-installs, so the net thing forced me to call in. It took about three mintutes to do - yeah, super big nightmare that was :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]Sorry, but the nightmare is not the telephone call, it's the fact that you have to make the call in the first place. I have a serious problem with the idea of having to call Big Brother every time I put in a new piece of hardware or want to re-install something. Sorry, that's just wrong.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so dont use it. i dont, never will. use what ya want. if they aint gonna sell ya what ya want, your not required to buy it. its simple economics. if nobody buys it, theyll sure as shit turn around and start selling what ya want.

Yep, I hear ya coaster. I'm never "upgrading" to XP and neither are many of my programming clients. A couple of my larger clients want to phase into Linux over the next couple of years, and I'm all up for that!

[quote]Originally posted by Lucky Charms O' Cereal: [b]Hey Lee, do you have any experience with this stuff? My son is a full-blown Linux programmer, I bet he could make this work.[/b][/quote]Undoubtedly he could! Ardour is still very much "under development" although some gurus apparently have it running pretty stable. However, your son could probably get it working and may want to volunteer some time to get involved with beta testing and/or development. The more people get involved the sooner it will be ready for prime time, and I think it'll be a great thing once it's out of beta. Hey, it's FREE, if your son has a Linux box and a sound card that is supported, no reason for him not to try it.

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: Sorry, but the nightmare is not the telephone call, it's the fact that you have to make the call in the first place. I have a serious problem with the idea of having to call Big Brother every time I put in a new piece of hardware or want to re-install something. Sorry, that's just wrong.[/QB][/quote]I agree and I hate this as well. (I use the corporate vesion that doesn't require registration). I'm curious,however, ... do you use any other copy protected software? Most companies seem to be going to the same scheme MS is using. Most DAW users deal with it every day. My Soundforge 5, Autotune and GT-3 editor require the same type of verification. All the cool stuff from Native Instruments is the same. If you're running a professional studio how do you deal with this. Do you just avoid these products (I do) or do you just refuse to do it with Microsoft?

Well, currently I am not using any copy protected software. If I ran a commercial studio and had to use copy protected applications to meet client demand, I suppose I would, but I would probably buy a licensed copy and then obtain a cracked copy. That would be pretty scary to be in the middle of a high dollar session and have it come to a halt because the DAW crashed and you couldn't get it back up because of copy protection schemes. However, I do have less of a general problem with applications being copy protected than the entire OS! Sheesh....

I'm a IT professional and in all my years servicing systems I have come to the conclusion that Microsoft's best OS is and was Windows 2000. Anyone having problems with it probably has bad hardware or drivers. Seriously. I've been using it since it was in beta and the only way I've been able to kill it is with either badly written drivers or out of date hardware. Any Windows 9x based OS is a peice of shit, end of story. I don't care how you tweak it, Windows 98 is a freakin' nightmare. Even if you do get it up and running well it will eventually break. I don't even consider Windows 98 to be a real OS. XP is about as solid as 2000, but with more fluff and BS to put up with like activation and the horrid XP interface. Will the real competitor to Microsoft please stand up, please stand up :thu: .

One thing to remember about XP is that it is a hungry operating system. In order to run XP well, without it being a complete headache you have got to have a really nice system. At LEAST 256 mb of ram. I run 640 mb of 333 mhz ddr ram and sometimes I get frustrated. Wait no I don't. My computer runs great... Matt

[b]Is it too much for me to expect to do Sonar multi-track recording with DX synths, and video editing and internet surfing and DVD recording/production with one single computer?[/b] You guys obviously have a ton of experience dealing with this stuff- you sound like experts. But the sad thing is, some retarded 12-year old could buy a new mac and be doing all these things out of the box. There's no need for the pain, unless you're a masochist. The linux thing sounds good- tell you what, after a bunch of you jump platforms to linux, kick and scream until it all works, and finally gain a new, specialized platform, I'll come on over too. Until then, there is a platform that does all those things, painlessly. Except Gigasampler. I have to run XP for gigasampler and it's constantly corrupting files and losing preference settings. And the only thing this machine has to do is run giga. So I feel your pain.

----------------------------

Phil Mann

http://www.wideblacksky.com

P4 2.26, 1024 RAM, WXP Pro, 2) 7200 RPM Seagate Barracuda, Logic Audio Platinum 5.5.1, Reason 2.1, Sonar 2.2, RME Multiface. A year ago, I had two music partitions (via Partition Magic), one with W98 Lite, and one with WME. After upgrading to WXP Pro (one with a reformat/reinstall, and one with an upgrade install, I can't remember which), my track count and stability pretty much doubled. This was after proper tweaking and proper hardware driver releases. Backup? I think Backup is hidden on the install disk, and you have to manually go back. I'm not sure because I use another solution, but MS's Backup has worked in the past for me. System Restore is usually switched off in a DAW, anyway. If you would like some help, ask away! If you just wanna bitch, we're here for that, too. WXP Pro vs. Home? Aside from the Dual Proc and networking issues, not much difference. WXP vs. 2K? Driver and software development will only continue for XP, so that choice seems like a no-brainer. If you already have 2K, though, I can't think of a good reason to switch. Both are based on the NT kernel and work very solidly, a major change from any W98 flavor. Activation? I guess paranoia can be useful, but, come on, you don't have to give them any personal info (which they could get anyway, if they really really wanted), or just find the damned server version ;)

If you are running serious DAW software, you have to rweak the OS, disableing services, disk caching, read ahead ect ect. The drivers and, as important, the chipset on the motherboard are critical for trouble free setup and operation. There are about a thousand websites dedicated to hardware/software combos that are bulletproof. Same goes for the tweaking of the OS. Make a dual boot dedicated partition for your DAW OS install, and tweak that for audio. Its easy to do and very effective. it is imperative that the OS and the audio data are on SEPERATE drives, not partitions, but drives. As for the Mac works right out of the box comment... not in this world at this time. The zapping of p-rams, and init conflicts, and extention management is the Mac nightmare with DAW's. I have had more session down time with Macs than with PC's in the last few years. If you are having problems with XP, then it has to be the Mobo and or driver/hardware issues. Tell us what motherboard/CPU/memory/video card/hard drive/converters/interface you have, if indeed you want some help. I agree with the poster that win2k is the best OS M$ has ever made. addendum: Driver dev will continue for both win2k and XP. they aren't so different under the hood (if you know what I mean).

[b]Originally posted Jan 29 I'm running with a PC400 M920 Pentium 4 motherboard with P4 @ 1.4 ghz. It is a bit finicky with my AGP nvidea 64 w/32 megs video. [/b] I'll also add that I have 512 megs of AZRAM DDRam, Firewire based on the Texas Instrument chip, VIA chipset and ethernet built in on the motherboard. Soundcard, midi and modem also are also built into motherboard by I have disabled these three with CMOS to "DISABLED". I only use the VM3100 w RPC-1 for audio I/O. I HAVE A PROGRESS REPORT. Today I was able to HEAR audio again with Sonar but the internet is still down. I have phoned in to get the ACCESS KEY, so there is no real importance in getting the internet up again except for drivers and updates. Remember that Unity DS1 no longer runs under WinXP but Bitheadz will have a new free upgrade. That is one of the compatibility issues I was talking about. Software and hardware shouldn't be made obsolete and unusable by a newer OS. A newer OS should be able to look back and run any old hardware/software that will run with the older OS on the same system. (No win 98/ME compatibility mode will not work with Unity DS-1) I would also like to add that the BACKUP that I used produced a BACKUP file which was VERIFIED first before copying to DVD-RW using my Pioneer DVD and Pinnacle software. A backup should be a real usable backup. PERIOD. Yes being that this is a MAXTOR 7200 HD that I'm using, I already know that the MAXTOR BLAST bundled software makes REAL copies of partitions that really do work 100%! The system I'm on now (running win 98) was getting finnicky the other day with the 1 gig drive clicking, so I grabbed a spare 6 gig Maxtor that I had on hand and within 1 hour this system was running exactly the way it ran the hour before , BUT WITH A NEW HARD DRIVE. I know that there is disk imaging software for $+50 that will create a file that I can use to restore, but why must I spend even more after buying a $200+ operating system with a built in "backup" program. I have read all of your posts. I acknowledge that I don't have the most solid MOBO around, but the "backup" part of XPpro was my biggest surprise and disappointment. I used Win 98 backup and was disappointed to see it go with WinME, but if it works like THIS.... it is better to leave it right out of XPpro, because it doesn't work. Don't back your system up with it. It is a waste of time because you will need to re-install everything anyways and it will fill up a DVD with a worthless "verified" file. Every new release of an OS should not require new apps and new hardware. IS THE OS BUILT FOR THE APPS AND HARDWARE, OR ARE THE APPS AND HARDWARE BUILT FOR THE OS ?????? As I said once before, OS version problems is partly what killed Amiga and Commodore. I have 1000 old Amiga apps and I can't tell you for sure which ones run under which versions of Workbench. When you buy software, isn't it enough to expect speed ,CPU and memory requirements without adding OS requirements to the mix? Then add different BLENDS of software and hardware to the list and get real confused as to whether the thing will run AT ALL on your system or not. Then when you DO finally get the thing running right you make a "backup" NOT! Then you try and get just one more piece of hardware or software into the equation and you're back to ground zero. The MACs are looking a bit better, but their OS compatibility headaches are a discussion for another day. I have already had a taste of them. Dan http://musicinit.com

I'm back to recording my daughters play. The firewire is working again. It is possible that this whole thing started with a loose FIREWIRE CARD. Plugging in the camera several times and swinging my computer around with wires already plugged in didn't help. Is there a better way to CLAMP these cards in place? Sometimes 1 screw just doesn't cut it. [b]Yes I admit it! It is possible that I messed up WinXPpro myself[/b] but I will now find a better BACKUP solution and wait patiently for the new Bitheadz WinXPpro compatible software. Dan http://musicinit.com/pvideos.html

i'll second the mac extension nightmare. but there is a trick to it; usually its easy to get one app working correctly; i.e. pro tools, dp, adobe, etc. but getting TWO apps is the nightmare. i, for the life of me cannot get premeire and pro tools to run together, period. so i use two completely different boot partitions, each set up their own way. this works, and it only takes about 90 seconds to boot. other than that, adding anything made by micrapsoft can render your system completely unstable. i.e. word, office, internazi exploder, all these are avoided.

[quote]Originally posted by techristian: [QB]but I will now find a better BACKUP solution and wait patiently for the new Bitheadz WinXPpro compatible software. Dan [QB][/quote]Techcristian... Norton Ghost, Partition Magic, and my fav, Acronis TrueImage Deluxe. These are image programs that will make a bootable cd and also a compressed image of your partition or drive. It will also make spanning cd's if your drive is particularly large. XP backup is not for reinstalling your full OS installation. When you have your system running the way you like, this is when you make an image of the drive. This way you can always get back to this point easily, 15 minutes, no lie.

[quote] You guys obviously have a ton of experience dealing with this stuff- you sound like experts. But the sad thing is, some retarded 12-year old could buy a new mac and be doing all these things out of the box. There's no need for the pain, unless you're a masochist. [/quote]I got my nieces and nephews (3-12) a Dell PC running ME a few years ago for Chrsitmas - and a bunch of Magic School Bus software and Encarta. They must be f'ing geniuses to see what all they get that out of that setup - and that they don't completely screw it up (especially the young ones) is an unending surprise. :D

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

I'm using Win2k Pro which I have had no problems with at all. :) I have been contemplating moving over to XP but, after building a PC for a friend and installing XP on it, I see no need to change whatsoever. Far too much bloat! :freak: As far as I can see XP is basically a 'look-at-me-eye-candy' bloated version of Win2K!
"WARNING!" - this artificial fruit juice may contain traces of REAL FRUIT!!

But I just went to the Acronis website and read that True Image 6.0 won't make an image copy if your system has Roxio CD Creator 5.0 or lower. If it is a true image copier it shouldn't care what you have on the hard drive. It should just do a RAW copy. Another question...What about NTFS ? Dan

I just read that you're using an M920 Pentium 4 motherboard. Stay away from these generic non-brand specific MB's. period. That's how I started with PC's, and when I move dup to namebrand MB's, problems stopped. NEVER buy a MB that has built in sound and/or video. Again, anothe rbig headache source.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

[quote]Originally posted by techristian: [b]What about NTFS ? Dan[/b][/quote]Not Neccessary,no performance gains.I just use fat 32 and format my recording drive....D: /z:64.....,I'll second(AGAIN!!)the part about generic mobo's/memory/psu,nothing but untold headaches.Sneaky things that creep up out of nowhere.You do have a fresh install of XP as well an not an upgrade vers. right?
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

[quote]Originally posted by Pain in the Glaven: [b]I have come to the conclusion that Microsoft's best OS is and was Windows 2000. Anyone having problems with it probably has bad hardware or drivers. XP is about as solid as 2000, but with more fluff and BS to put up with like activation and the horrid XP interface. [/b][/quote]Ditto-ditto-ditto-ditto-ditto-ditto-ditto-ditto-ditto-and Ditto-Deluxe.Amen and Iv'e seen the Glory!!!Can I get a witness!!!(sorry,it's 5am Sun morning and all those gospel/holy roller stuff is on tv behind me :cool: )
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

[quote]Can I get a witness!!![/quote]Yes you can. I'm Win2K (SP3) everything at work - except for "test" machines...where there's everything from 3.1 to X-Pee. To stay on topic, what I have found is that if a computer tunning XP is plagued with problems, it's either the hardware (which in this case is likely), or maybe an software issue. Bloated and glossy as XP is, Microsoft tested the hell out of it. In my OPINION, it is one of few operating systems released by Redmond that did not need major "service packing" soon after release. I remember the days of NT3.51 and 4.0.....

what's up Alndln Opteron, could you give instructions on how to set up 2000 for dedicated daw use only. you said you took out explorer and alot crap. what did you remove and how do you do it, I'm assuming it's not a simple delete. thanx peace

[quote]Originally posted by techristian: ... I would also like to add that the BACKUP that I used produced a BACKUP file which was VERIFIED first before copying to DVD-RW using my Pioneer DVD and Pinnacle software. A backup should be a real usable backup. PERIOD. ... I know that there is disk imaging software for $+50 that will create a file that I can use to restore, but why must I spend even more after buying a $200+ operating system with a built in "backup" program. ... When you buy software, isn't it enough to expect speed ,CPU and memory requirements without adding OS requirements to the mix? Then add different BLENDS of software and hardware to the list and get real confused as to whether the thing will run AT ALL on your system or not. Then when you DO finally get the thing running right you make a "backup" NOT! Then you try and get just one more piece of hardware or software into the equation and you're back to ground zero. The MACs are looking a bit better, but their OS compatibility headaches are a discussion for another day. I have already had a taste of them. Dan http://musicinit.com [/QB][/quote]I'm glad you are on the way toward a solution, and I understand (and have lived) your frustration (on both PCs and Macs). Let's not forget that Microsoft was investigated and cited by the DOJ for including features in its OS (among other things). We'll help you scrabble your way out of this.

[quote]Originally posted by techristian: [b]... Another question...What about NTFS ? Dan[/b][/quote]There are many many reports of FAT32 formatted drives causing problems (long pause from pushing "record" to actually recording) with current versions of Logic (well sorta current :( ) Cubase, etc. Converting the audio drive to NTFS fixes this.

[quote]Originally posted by Nawledge: [b]what's up Alndln Opteron, could you give instructions on how to set up 2000 for dedicated daw use only. you said you took out explorer and alot crap. what did you remove and how do you do it, I'm assuming it's not a simple delete. thanx peace[/b][/quote]Nawledge, here is a site for trimming/tweaking XP for music application: http://www.musicxp.net/ It applies to Win2K as well.

"One of my profs. (who works with NASA, smart guy [Wink] ) made a joke, went a little something like this: Microsoft has only made 2 really reliable operating systems- Windows 2000 (or was it '98?) and DOS. [Big Grin]" Slight correction, Microsoft(SUCK) bought DOS off a Seattle programmer/computer repairman for $30,000..therefore, they have *made* only one reliable OS...windows 2000......however they stole a lot of windows from apple... lol

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table."

-Mitch Hedberg

Not to mention that they pretty much ripped off OS2 from IBM (oh, sorry, that was a collaborative agreement that they bowed out of once they had the source code, etc) to creat Windows NT. Apart from that (and the anti-trust thing) they are like angels to me - without flaws or equals. (Proudly typed from a MS kybd on MS WinXP, using Explorer... :cool: )

Archived