Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

1972 Gibson Les Pauls

kitaristi0

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going on your Led Zep thread I would say you should go ahead and buy one! Get credit if you have to, I've never regretted paying bills for my guitar related debt like I do for all my other "boring" bills.

A good Gibson Les Paul is a joy to behold, and once you've played one you realise just why. Mine plays better than any guitar I've tried, when I pick it up after my Tele it feels like the gauge 11 strings are actually old gauge 9s!

If you want to create some of those huge Page riffs then this is the perfect place to start. A vast array of tones and that cool switch effect you get with one of the p'ups turned off. Perfect.

Tea.

I think it's a standard Les Paul, not sure just played it for some 30 secs or so.

Yeah, this would be the guitar for Zep riffs. I'm not even sure whether he's willing to sell it, maybe if the price is right.

A duck-pond, a museum, and a red hunting hat.

Originally posted by kitaristi0:

What do you think? Any good? My singers dad bought one of 'em years a go and I think it played nice. I would love to own it but have exactly 3 euros in my bank account right now.

1970s Gibsons are not very collectable. 1972 might have been right before the Norlin takeover of Gibson.

Norlin era guitars are kind of hit and miss. Some are good. I had a 1974 Les Paul Standard that stunk, quite frankly. Gibson recovered quite nicely after the move to Nashville around 1980 or so. I'm not quite sure when Norlin was out of the picture, right around that same time.

Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Originally posted by Mr Nice Jazz Guitar Guy:

What do you think? Any good? My singers dad bought one of 'em years a go and I think it played nice. I would love to own it but have exactly 3 euros in my bank account right now.

1970s Gibsons are not very collectable. 1972 might have been right before the Norlin takeover of Gibson.

Norlin era guitars are kind of hit and miss. Some are good. I had a 1974 Les Paul Standard that stunk, quite frankly. Gibson recovered quite nicely after the move to Nashville around 1980 or so. I'm not quite sure when Norlin was out of the picture, right around that same time.

No sir they where made better in MI sorry. :P
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

No sir they where made better in MI sorry. :P
You'd like to think that. Truth be told, Norlin era guitars made in Kalamazoo were pretty stinky for the most part. They tinkered with the old family recipe. Case in point, the infamous "volute".

My present SG and DC LP+ are vastly superior guitars than my erstwhile '74 LP Standard.

That wasn't until the mid-seventies when the Les Paul's started to go down hill a bit. The early seventies models were great. I still have my first guitar..a 1971 Les paul Deluxe. Unfortunatly I was into Rush and took out the mini humbuckers and put in Dimarzio Super Distortion's around 1977.

From the mid seventies on I don't think the quality was as good. Even today the guitars just seem over laquered to me, kind sticky to play.

overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

I've got a '72 LP Custom (that I don't play nearly as much as I should), and I can say that it is certainly worth it. If my house ever burns down (god forbid!) that's one of the first things I'm gonna drag out (after the wife & the cats)! :D

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Hmm.. I guess I'll have to keep dreaming. Just talked to the guy and he said it's not up for sale. Gosh darnit.

Get a new one. They're made better now than they were 32 years ago. "Norlin" is but a distant memory now. Gibson has recovered, just not in Kalamazoo.

I had a 74 tobaco sunburst Les Paul standard, which I bought when it was new. It was a nice guitar, but oddly, a close friend had the exact same guitar purchased around the same time and his sounded way better than mine. That one was a real gem.

Mine got stolen along with my 64 Tele and 67 ES225TD...special place in hell indeed...

Tom

http://www.digitalaudiorock.com

The Protools Plugin Preset Co-op

Originally posted by tld:

I had a 74 tobaco sunburst Les Paul standard,

That's exactly what I had. Worst POS Gibson I've ever owned. I swear the neck must have been the greenist wood Gibson ever used. Probably saved money on natural gas in the kiln that day. That neck was never good.

Newer Gibsons are vastly superior to those made back then, trust me. Norlin was very bad for Gibson.

That's exactly what I had. Worst POS Gibson I've ever owned. I swear the neck must have been the greenist wood Gibson ever used. Probably saved money on natural gas in the kiln that day. That neck was never good.

Newer Gibsons are vastly superior to those made back then, trust me. Norlin was very bad for Gibson.

Thats funny last year I bought a classic

that had the worst neck ever,took it back to

GC,nice gold top marked down.Now I know why.

No joke they could not set it up right.

Then I went on harmonycentral there were

a lot of bad reviews about the same problem.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

Thats funny last year I bought a classic

that had the worst neck ever,took it back to

GC,nice gold top marked down.Now I know why.

No joke they could not set it up right.

Then I went on harmonycentral there were

a lot of bad reviews about the same problem.

Now and then they put out a few bummers. Always take those WhoreMoney Central "reviews" with a grain of salt, just like you would Ed Roman.

My '93 SG and '98 DC LP+ are both excellent. Of course the '92 Super 5 Custom Shop is out of this world in terms of quality. It was made by Jimmy Triggs though. My '97 ES175 is also most excellent in build quality.

Hmm.. I guess I'll have to keep dreaming. Just talked to the guy and he said it's not up for sale. Gosh darnit.

Get a new one. They're made better now than they were 32 years ago. "Norlin" is but a distant memory now. Gibson has recovered, just not in Kalamazoo.
I have to disagree. There's just something special about vintage guitars.
A duck-pond, a museum, and a red hunting hat.

I have to disagree. There's just something special about vintage guitars.
Older is not always better. Gibson neck designs today are far strong than they were with the single piece necks of yore, for instance. They got rid of the dreaded "volute" too.

Of course you could buy one of those Custom Shop "aged" guitars for $4500

:D

Best vintage guitars you can get!

I too have to disagree. True, that Volute era wasn't the best. I think from that point on they still never got it back to where it was. I've yet to see any Les Paul that's better than my 1971. Trust me, I see a ton of them. They have come back a bit as of late but still aren't as good as before. They're over-laquered and over-priced.
overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

Originally posted by dougsthang':

I too have to disagree. True, that Volute era wasn't the best. I think from that point on they still never got it back to where it was. I've yet to see any Les Paul that's better than my 1971. Trust me, I see a ton of them. They have come back a bit as of late but still aren't as good as before. They're over-laquered and over-priced.

You aint played one a dez den. Fine little Les Paul, and not overpriced.

BTW, the new LP Standards have some nice tops, seem to play well and go for about 2 grand. Not a bad deal.

True, I haven't played your guitars but...

I've played a ton of the newer ones and I attend all the vintage shows. Until you've played a '59 or mid 60's, even right up to early seventies models, they're just different beast's. I think the thing that bugs me the most about the newer models is the finish. You look at the older models and the finish is more refined, today it's all over spray. I have seen a few custom shop models that look nice, but the production stuff is nowhere near the over all quality of the older production models.

I'm sure your guitars are very nice. I just prefer the older Gibson's. At least I see a level of consistent quality in the newer Fender's. They do have too many models but the American Made guitars are very nice if not better than some of the older guitars.

Archived