Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's talk about the Scorpions

timrocker

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the morning I raise my head

And I think of the days gone by

And the thing I want out of life ... Is

(nananananananana)

I WANT YOU (RIFF)

I ... WANT ...YOU (RIFF)

All right! Now we're in full hesher mode. Is that Gene or Paul on lead vox?

I don't know their work, but keep hearing 'bout them. Isn't "Big City Night" a cover?

I'll add them to my evergrowing list of artists to listen to. Any recommendations for an album that would give me a good overview?

Since there seems to be some disagreement ("IMHO they suck") :D , is there a site I might be able to get a (legal) sample?

I'm off to allmusic.com

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Okay. Been there, done that (AMG).

Oh! "Rock Me Like A Hurricane", one I was planning on looking up, getting tab, etc.

AMG recommends "Deadly Sting: The Mercury Years" released in 1997.

Anybody agree? Disagree?

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Cool Thread, I dig the Scorpions:

"Crossfire" from "Love at first Bite"

"China White" from "Blackout"

"Zoo", I have the live version of this tune, not sure what album it is off of. Just a few from many, but I haven't listened to them in a long time.

Has anyone seen the tour/studio video Scorpions put out a few years back? Its pretty good, shows them driving on the autobahn, messing around in their studios (each has a home studio), and on tour. Lots of good footage. BTW, its the only time I really liked them was on this video.

Metallica has a similar movie about the making of the album with Enter Sandman on it. Those are the fun things to see. Wilco's movie is good too. Another killer movie.....Neil Young and Crazy Horse. Lots of bitching, complaining, and rocking hard.

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

Geenard,

Has anyone seen the tour/studio video Scorpions put out a few years back?
Where/how can I get a copy of it?

Dave

Not sure Dave, I'll check around
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by timrocker:

(nananananananana)

I WANT YOU (RIFF)

I ... WANT ...YOU (RIFF)

I think it's Paul on the intro and Gene through the rest of the song.

Hey, what about the Cult? Now that's rock & roll! Sonic Temple was the coolest album.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

man, i think the scorp's are HILARIOUS. not because they try to be funny though. they just took themselves a little too seriously, y'know? i don't mean it in a mean spirited way.

on the other hand, my first performance ever was playing "rock you like a hurricane" in my seventh grade talent show :D

can a hurricane rock? :freak:

Originally posted by loubeck:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Still Loving You". Probably THE first power ballad ever.

Kick ass tune too.

Well... you beat me to it! :D

I like the Scorpions' popular tunes, but there was a lot of chaff inbetween. Still, I'd definitely put them in the "Like 'em" category.

No One Like You

Rock Me Like A Hurricaine

Big City Nights

Still Loving You

The Zoo

All great tunes.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I was a big fan of the Animal Magnetism album. My band in high school used to do "Falling in Love", and I always loved "Don't Make No Promises (Your Body Can't Keep)".

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by bluestrat:

(nananananananana)

I WANT YOU (RIFF)

I ... WANT ...YOU (RIFF)

I think it's Paul on the intro and Gene through the rest of the song.

Unless they are doing it differently these days, it's all Paul.

:)

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

I was big into the Scorps back in my Middle and High school daze. I mean days.

I liked their older stuff, and though I also liked that Blackout album, it was sort of a turning point for them. The last album with the kind of stuff that I liked the most on their earlier ones, and the beginning of where they started to lose my interest. Plus, I began to discover other music- "classical" (and I do mean the real thing, orchestral, not bespandexed primadonnas with Pre Minstral Sindrome), punk, prog, alternative before that was a corporate buzz-word, blues, bluegrass, jazz, etc. etc. etc. etc. ... and a lot of the "hair metal" began to leave me cold. (And stuff like Quiet Riot made me grit my teeth!)

Their earliest stuff is unusual and pretty cool, stuff like Dark Lady and Lonesome Crow and all that.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

Geenard,

Has anyone seen the tour/studio video Scorpions put out a few years back?
Where/how can I get a copy of it?

Dave

I rented a VHS at Hollywood Video of Scorps doing some dates in the then-Soviet Union and so on. It was pretty good. Don't recall the title of the vid, it was in the music/specialty section.

Dave, a good hits compilation is "Best Of Rockers And Ballads". It has a few unusual things, like a cover of "Can't Explain" and a neat little song called "Hey You" that, if I'm not mistaken has Rudolph Schenker on lead vox. In your search for more Scorps tunes, you may turn up many different things, including the above-mentioned chaff between the wheat, but please don't give up until you've heard "Make It Real", "Send Me An Angel", "Leaving You", and "Hey You". If you get that far, and you're still not hooked, hey at least you tried. :D Obviously, I'm a fan.

I think they're one of the best hairbands. I like 80s rock and metal though. I know many of you might have the "music sucked after Zeppelin" attitude, but I don't care. I listen to what I want, and I'll hate what I want too.

Anyway, I like "No One Like You Best", also a fan of "Send Me An Angel".

Hairbands! :thu:

Shut up and play.

(nananananananana)

I WANT YOU (RIFF)

I ... WANT ...YOU (RIFF)

That is Paul all the way through. Though on the harmony "...I want you..." you can distinctively hear both Gene and Paul on backups. You got Kiss questions? You've come to the right place.

Pertaining to the Scorpions, I like their stuff after Michael Schenker left. I think that would be the "Lovedrive" album (though I think he played on that one along with Rudolph Schenker and Matthias Jabs). "Love at First Sting" is their crowning glory and as Ian Faith would say, "Every track is a hit!".

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

Oh yeah, the Scorps ROCK!!! I loved that band back in the day. Still do!

Still Loving You - great metal ballad

Send me an Angel - ditto

Big City Nights - a rockin tune

I could go on and on.

Back in those days, many (of MY friends, anyways) kind of snubbed them in and leaned towards more popular bands. Though I really enjoyed the Scorps. I don't think they were technical (technique) wizards of the Yngwie's (?) of that era, but they play with some raw power, mixed with great sense of melody and sweet simple solo's.

Call me simple, but I love it.

Check out some handcrafted guitars:

http://home.mindspring.com/~grus/guitars.htm

Actually, in the last few years, I've been listening to some more of the "hair metal" stuff. Back when I started listening to any metal, I preferred the thrashier stuff, like D.R.I., Slayer, pre-black album Metallica, Voivod, and the classic death metal groups like Morbid Angel and Obituary.

The Scorpions are okay. I remember them more for their ballads, like "wind of change". I wouldn't mind playing some of this type of metal live, as long as you don't ask me to wear any spandex, or the crazy colored outfits. Ugh!

Actually, I'd love to play some Judas Priest. Now there's an 80's metal band that rocked hard in their day, and still does today.

http://www.judaspriest.com/disc/images/j12.jpg

I LOVE this album!!! :thu:

The Scorps can ROCK.

Saw 'em in a bill with Dio, Scorpions, Deep Purple...

You never SAW so many 40+ year old chicks in too tight leather mini-skirts and fishnet stockings...

But the Scorps kicked butt...

Then Deep Purple came out... I would NEVER want to follow THAT!

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Archived