Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking To Buy A 1985 Jap Strat...

BiC

I'm looking to replace my Strat which was stolen.

Looking for a:

- 1985 MIJ Contemporary Standard 22

- 22 Frets

- 3 single coils

- System 1 Tremolo

- Malple Neck / Fretboard

- 5 way pickup selector switch

Prefer black w/ white pickguard, but black is not a necessity. If you come across one, would you please let me know?

Thanx! :)

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by BiC:

I'm looking to replace my Strat which was stolen.

- 1985 Jap Strat

- 1 Humbucker, 2 Singles

- Malple Neck

Prefer black w/ white pickguard, but not a necessity. If you come across one, would you please let me know?

Thanx! :)

You didn't mention a price range, but this is a fender squire black (NO pickguard) with 1 humbucker and 2 single coils. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2566953589&category=38082 here is another, this has a WHITE body with a BLACK pickguard (the reverse of what you asked for) but it also has 1 humbucker and 2 single coils. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2566404466&category=38082 Stannge thing though....could not find ANY japanese squire guitars on ebay that had the maple neck and also had the 1 humbucker, 2 single coil configuration! Most squires have a rosewood neck anyway.

Thanx for the reply. I'm not too concerned about price. I did come across those on Ebay, and was not interested since I'm trying to get an almost exact "clone" of the one I owned without having to make any mods myself.

I really want the maple neck. The neck was just super-slick! :cool:

Thanx! :thu:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Why not go with a newer Fender with similar appointments? There's no shortage of various models with the features you like. Leaf through a Musician's Friend catalog, or go to their 'Site, just for starters.

Or, maybe you should try building a Carvin kit, or for a seriously sweet axe, build from Warmoth parts. And Stewart MacDonald's catalog and 'Site would also be worth looking into.

If you want links to these last, for building parts, materials, supplies, instructional books and vids, etc., just ask, and I'll post'em for ya here, Bro'. :thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Thanx Wolfie! :thu:

Hey, I just found a "Contemporary Standard" site. Check out these links, the specs are an exact to the ones I'm looking for, besides the pickups:

http://freespace.virgin.net/john.blackman4/st22.htm

http://freespace.virgin.net/john.blackman4/images/st22.jpg

http://freespace.virgin.net/john.blackman4/images/st22nut.jpg

http://freespace.virgin.net/john.blackman4/images/st22tre.jpg

I guess my Strat was a "Contemporary"? But it didn't say "Contemporary" on it? Do they??? :confused:

Peace

BiC, if you can't find the Strat shown on those pages you pointed out, would you be willing to go for a Fender Prodigy II? It's the dark blue one on the right. I scanned that from the book lynng mentioned in this thread .

Unlike the Contemporary strat, this uses a Licensed Floyd Rose made by Kahler, which means better tuning stability. Note how the nut is set up in there. The bridge is locking, of course, so no ball ends on the strings are used.

I bet these guitars have a fairly good value on the used market.

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

BiC, if you can't find the Strat shown on those pages you pointed out, would you be willing to go for a Fender Prodigy II? It's the dark blue one on the right. I scanned that from the book lynng mentioned in this thread .

Unlike the Contemporary strat, this uses a Licensed Floyd Rose made by Kahler, which means better tuning stability. Note how the nut is set up in there. The bridge is locking, of course, so no ball ends on the strings are used.

I bet these guitars have a fairly good value on the used market.

Thanx Taz, but I'm pretty set on finding what I'm looking for. I'll find it too. I have a pretty good track record for producing results when I place my best foot forward. :thu:

Thanx again! :)

Those are some pretty nice axes guys! Thanx! :thu:

BTW, here's a picture I dug up of my stolen Strat to give a better idea of what I'm looking for. I believe it was originally 3 single coils, then modified to a humbucker. Almost positve it was a 1985 MIJ Contemporary Strat:

http://wwwofwx.tripod.com/xetraordinaryguitars/

Thanx again!

Originally posted by lynng - Lord of Dorkness:

Slightly OTT BiC, but if you run across a STRAT PLUS Thanks Dr Taz

(at a steal) Sure would like one! Kinda unique cause the decal says STRAT - not stratocaster......

BTW - how did you like that metal string tree thingamajiggie above the nut? Just wondering.

Good luck

I liked it. :thu: It helped that much more to keep the Strat in tune.

Peace

Sorry to hear about your Strat. I too have a 1985 Squier Strat that is black with white pick guard and I love the way it plays. I would check ebay.com or gbase.com for similar models...they will probably be your best bet. Let us know if you find a replacement. Good luck.

Originally posted by BiC:

I guess my Strat was a "Contemporary"? But it didn't say "Contemporary" on it? Do they??? :confused:

Peace[/QB]

No, they don't say "Contemporary" on them. I have an 85 contemporary Strat. It's a metallic pearl color with rosewood fingerboard and a black headstock. It's a great guitar, but I haven't played it much since I got my PRS.

The one thing I don't like about the strat anymore is the finish on the back of the neck. Compared to the PRS, it's very sticky. I might have to sand that off and just leave the back of the neck "naked".

In an effort to improve the responsiveness of e-mail for everyone, the e-mail servers will be out of service.

We are hopeful that this change will improve the performance of e-mail.

Archived