Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gibson Pickup in a Fender Strat???

mstreck

I was thinking about replacing the bridge humbucker with a Gibson HB that I have. Has anyone tried this? What did the resulting tone sound like?

Mike

Petting Hendrix

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head by an iron boot? Of course you don't--no one does--that never happens.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by mstreck:

I was thinking about replacing the bridge humbucker with a Gibson HB that I have. Has anyone tried this? What did the resulting tone sound like?

Mike

Puttinh a 'bucker in Strat is exactly what EVH did. It's the essential ingredient in all superstrats.

Assuming your Strat is of the variety that is already sized for a standard sized humbucking pup in the bridge location (i.e. pickguard hole about twice that of a single coil slot) then it should be fairly easy to substitute other brands of humbuckers.

You may want to check out some of the after market brand pup models (e.g. Bill Lawrence, Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, etc.) before settling on Gibson's which are probably very pricy and not necessarily any better. Some of these companies have pups made to the same specs as Gibson humbuckers at a much more reasonable price. You can search the websites of these companies and learn a lot about the various model pups, what type of sound they'll give you, etc.

The thing is that I already have the Gibson HB and I'm not using it for anything. I just wondered if anyone had tried this before I went to the trouble of swapping it for the humbucker that is already in the Strat.

I had someone warn me that the tone would be disappointing and the Strat would lose its "brightness".

Originally posted by Lancer:

Assuming your Strat is of the variety that is already sized for a standard sized humbucking pup in the bridge location (i.e. pickguard hole about twice that of a single coil slot) then it should be fairly easy to substitute other brands of humbuckers.

You may want to check out some of the after market brand pup models (e.g. Bill Lawrence, Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, etc.) before settling on Gibson's which are probably very pricy and not necessarily any better. Some of these companies have pups made to the same specs as Gibson humbuckers at a much more reasonable price. You can search the websites of these companies and learn a lot about the various model pups, what type of sound they'll give you, etc.

Petting Hendrix

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head by an iron boot? Of course you don't--no one does--that never happens.

"Strat" brige spacing and "Gibson" bridge spacings are different.

Taken from www.seymourduncan.com:

Humbuckers and Trembuckers are very similar to each other, and most humbucker models also come in Trembucker versions. The Trembucker-spaced JB, for example, is a TB-4 and the humbucker-spaced version in an SH-4. The only difference is the wider spacing of the pole pieces on the Trembucker versions. This spacing issue only applies to the bridge position pickup, which is why Trembuckers are recommended for the bridge position. Trembuckers are designed for wider string most commonly associated with Floyd Rose or vintage vibrato bridges (often called Tremolos) with a string spacing of 2.070" or 52.6mm, measured center of high string to center of low string over the bridge pickup. Humbuckers are designed for bridges with traditional Gibson humbucker string spacing of 1.925" or 48.9mm, measured center of high string to center of low string over the bridge pickup. Humbucker spaced pickups work in both bridge and neck positions, even with a Trembucker-spaced bridge pickup. A quick and easy way to tell which you need is to measure from the middle of the high string to the middle of the low string, directly over the pickup. If the distance is greater than two inches or 50mm, go for a Trembucker. If it's less than two inches or 50mm, go for a humbucker.

I put a dimarzio humbucker into a strat I had, and then found out the difference in the spacing of the pole pieces. I wasn't impressed with the effect and just as soon as I get off my ass, I'm going to put the old pickup in.

Yeah, the main problem is the string and polepiece spacing. The tone would probably be good, as long as the poles line up directly under the strings... which is unlikely, but check first as per that Seymour Duncan page quoted above. If the spacing will match, then go for it!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived