Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Info for building a vintage amp

Robert OReilly

Hello, I am building a vintage style tube amp for a college project. I am looking for helpful information on building them.

Can anybody tell me the link to some good web pages. Also if anybody could recomend some good books for this and where on the internet i can buy them. Thank's.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check this out:

www.18watt.com

A Forum member built a sweet little vintage-Marshall stylee clone, and referred to that 'site. I can't remember who it was- perhaps he'll pop in on this thread!

If I remember any more, I'll be back with'em.

Bluestrat should be along here any minute, as well! He's very knowledgable and has built a few amps, and then some, in his time.

By the way, welcome to the Forum, Robert O'Reilly! Are you anywhere near Teashoulders? "Teahead", a forumite seen around here from time to time, hangs his hat thereabouts, as does "Cup McMali". Good folks!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

What kind of amp?

For Fender stuff:

Fender Amp Field Guide

For schematics:

Schematic Heaven

Personally, I'd want either a Fender 5E3 Deluxe or an Ampeg Jet. Both are 2 x 6V6GT amps, about 10 to 20 watts. Easy enough for a first project, better tone than a Champ, and more power too. :thu:

Are you going all out with tweed, chicken-head knobs, and a chrome chassis? :D (unless it's an Ampeg, then you'd want blue diamond Tolex!) I've built a few amps, and if you have any questions or just want to talk, send me a PM or a e-mail. :)

Oh, and check out my work: My projects page

Had to show-off a little. :rolleyes: There's a brief tutorial on cabinet construction on my projects page too. ;)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Originally posted by Dances With Werewolves:

Check this out:

www.18watt.com

A Forum member built a sweet little vintage-Marshall stylee clone, and referred to that 'site. I can't remember who it was- perhaps he'll pop in on this thread!

If I remember any more, I'll be back with'em.

Bluestrat should be along here any minute, as well! He's very knowledgable and has built a few amps, and then some, in his time.

By the way, welcome to the Forum, Robert O'Reilly! Are you anywhere near Teashoulders? "Teahead", a forumite seen around here from time to time, hangs his hat thereabouts, as does "Cup McMali". Good folks!

Krazy K!

The dude that built the 18 watt Marshall was GtrMac, was it not? I'm torn between going for the 5E3 Deluxe, the Ampeg Jet, or the 18 watt Marshall when I get the green. I've got a power and output transformer for a small single end amp sitting here too. I need a chassis now, and I'll have everything I need to get my AC-5 (the AC-30 pre w/ single ended EL-84) going again.

Everything is about the money... :( (or about not having the money).

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Archived