Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Traffic...totally under apreciated?

Pretzel logic

When people talk about thier favorite bands,you almost never hear Traffic brought up.I think Steve Winwood is right up there with the alltime great singer/songwriters.He might not have been as good a guitar player as other english players,but Dear mr fantasy shows he was no slouch.I sometimes forget what a huge influence they were on me.Low spark and the traffic album are as good as anything of the same period."Can i get a witness" :thu::thu:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely... Traffic is one of my all-time favorite bands. So many great tunes, and the playing is great, too. Sometimes it seems that

late 60's/early 70's British rock is more or less

forgotten, there were a lot of great bands

that today's younger musicians don't know anything about. Mott The Hoople? Humble Pie? Jeff Beck Group? Spooky Tooth? Faces?

Remember any of these?

Originally posted by Petethebassman:

Absolutely... Traffic is one of my all-time favorite bands. So many great tunes, and the playing is great, too. Sometimes it seems that

late 60's/early 70's British rock is more or less

forgotten, there were a lot of great bands

that today's younger musicians don't know anything about. Mott The Hoople? Humble Pie? Jeff Beck Group? Spooky Tooth? Faces?

Remember any of these?

I remember all of them. :thu:

I'm not sure that there are a whole lot of non-musicians who will remember a few of those, however. Pity.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Well, I've liked everything that's come my way by Traffic. Can't say that I know an awful lot about'em, though, other than the few songs that I've heard on radio, etc. over the years...

I've always liked "Low Spark" in particular, though the first time I heard it, it was covered on an album by someone whos name escapes me; I believe that Van Morrison was their "guest vocalist" singing on that one.

Once in a while, recently, I've heard a couple of songs that I was unfamiliar with on the music service- whatever it is- in a local pub that I thought sounded like Traffic. Good stuff.

I think I might have to add them to my "further investigation is merited" list...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Teahead:

I know Hendrix worshipped him! Is there any more credible witness? Ok, maybe there are more alive candidates...Seriously though, I have been tempted to buy them once or twice, where would you recommend starting?

In my opinion, a good place to start might be Welcome to the Canteen or The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys . Both albums show excellent songwriting, groove & playing ability.

I love this band! :thu:

Very good indeed!!! Early stuff is really forgotten mostely...I thought Windwood wrote his best stuff when he collaborated with Dave Mason. Doesn't he play keyboards too...didn't he play the great B3 with the Spencer Davis Band..."I'm a man yes I am and I can help but love her so."

Nice board by the way.

Originally posted by brainyc:

Doesn't he play keyboards too...didn't he play the great B3 with the Spencer Davis Band..."I'm a man yes I am and I can help but love her so."

Nice board by the way.

He sure did. In fact, I believe he is primarily a keybaord player.

BTW, welcome aboard! :wave:

This is a pretty cool place. Stick around for a while and get to know us. Tell us a little about yourself too.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Guy's.....Traffic is totally appreciated.....I think that there is alot of folks who didn't hear them the first time around wondering why not now.....back in the day they were appreciated....big time. Too bad recordings don't sound as good anymore. That note perfect stuff coming out of Nashville and LA bore me to tears....and its tedious to listen to, maybe because of the artificial extended frequency of the digital realm.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Well, I recently got a Traffic compilation, and it is great, and in heavy rotation on my CD player. (Referencing two other bands mentioned.... Jeff Beck Group "Truth" is on my KEY006 MP3 player and Spooky Tooth's "Spooky Two" is in the CD player....)

Don't buy the Traffic double CD from a couple of years ago... the remixing/mastering was not done well, and a lot of stuff that would have been mixed out originally is left in the mix.... coughs, background noises... if it is not a mixdown problem, then my appologies to the re-mixers, but I sure don't remember hearing all that stuff way back when.

Andy Pratt comes to mind as an artist from that day who is kinda lost today. Roger Daltry covered "Avenging Anne" on his first solo album. I found Andy's website and purchased his compilation. Good stuff, but he's a keyboardist, not a guitar player.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I have a video of a concert they did in california that is very good.Winwood really shines on this tape.He plays a firebird with a wha on Mr fantasy.His keyboard playing is first class.The best part for me is Chriss Wood's flute and sax playing.The guy blows like a madman.His solo on Rainmaker gives me the chills.He runs his sax thru a wha for Freedom rider.Traffic is one of the best JAM bands ever,amazing group...Also i once saw pictures of jimi and johnny winter playing with the band.How would that be. :cool::thu:

Well, I recently got a Traffic compilation, and it is great, and in heavy rotation on my CD player. (Referencing two other bands mentioned.... Jeff Beck Group "Truth" is on my KEY006 MP3 player and Spooky Tooth's "Spooky Two" is in the CD player....)

Don't buy the Traffic double CD from a couple of years ago... the remixing/mastering was not done well, and a lot of stuff that would have been mixed out originally is left in the mix.... coughs, background noises... if it is not a mixdown problem, then my appologies to the re-mixers, but I sure don't remember hearing all that stuff way back when.

Andy Pratt comes to mind as an artist from that day who is kinda lost today. Roger Daltry covered "Avenging Anne" on his first solo album. I found Andy's website and purchased his compilation. Good stuff, but he's a keyboardist, not a guitar player.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I saw them in NYC in 1972 or so, probably the first tour after they re-formed and recorded John Barleycorn Must Die. It was a great show but Chris Wood was absolutely whacked. I gather he had a bad case of Keith Moon-ness and died not too many years later. Sad.

Winwood was always an underappreciated guitar player. Listen to his fantastic solo on "Let Me Make Something In Your Life" from his first solo album (1977).

Originally posted by Teahead:

I know Hendrix worshipped him! Is there any more credible witness? Ok, maybe there are more alive candidates...Seriously though, I have been tempted to buy them once or twice, where would you recommend starting?

I take your word for it ...but "worshipped" might be overstating the case a little.Dave Mason played guitar on All along the Watchtower - think he played 12- string...or was that Jimi? Anyway he's there in the mix somewhere. I'm certain he was at least standing in the room at the time! . Winwood of course played organ on Voodoo Chile. I looked up Dave Mason's website just to see what he's been up too - nice site, worth checking out. I'm a Man (Spencer davis group) must be one of the most exciting records ever made - still sounds great, and Winwood was about 17 years old wasn't he?Dave Mason left after the first 2 albums but came back for the live Welcome to the Canteen, which is a great album.

While we're on the topic of British Invasion bands...I saw the weirdest music video the other night. It very cleverly toyed with the concept of a REVERSE Brit invasion ie. a US black beat group with Ike Turner haircuts appearing on a British television equivalent of the Ed Sullivan Show in the 60's before hordes of screaming teenage girls.The boy back-up singers were dressed as jockeys....dunno who this was but it's fantastic. :eek:

Archived