Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lucky Bastids!

Paul McCartney played an impromptu gig in at the Truckee Hotel in Truckee, CA on Thurs. night. [url=http://www.canoe.ca/JamMusic/mar1_paul-ap.html]Here\'s the report.[/url] Damn I wish I just happened to be there :( I know he hasn't been "all that" for some time now, but common - who'd pass the chance to see him play at a little dive like that - and improvise at that? damn damn damn damn damn damn damn [i]ad infinitum [/i]
meh

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aw heck, I think he's still "all that". I mean, it depends on who you talk to. I'm with ya, I would have loved to have been at that place. I saw him in concert last year. Okay, so I'm a Beatle fan, but I've never been to anything like that. The guy's 60 years old and could pass almost for his mid 40s. Fit as a fiddle...and what a show! All ages, from six to sixty, all in this huge chorus of "We know all these songs and we're singing along"...it was a completely unreal experience. Most bands have the ability to touch, really touch, a relatively limited age group, but not Macca. Okay, so there weren't any mosh pits there. But the show rocked and, to quote his late colleague, "A splendid time was guaranteed for all." BTW...Truckee California sets a lot of both the nation's highs and lows...it's close to Donner Pass, I believe. Quite an extreme place climate wise.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Truckee is about 30 miles west of Reno, about 100 miles east of Sacramento on I-80. It is a beautiful town, and yes,it is situated at the East end of Donner Lake, just below Donner Pass. Played a ski resort there a couple weeks ago. I've never played the gig in question, but you can bet your ass there is curiosity about it now!
Woof!

Wow - far out! I know Truckee - used to stop there for gas, running gear between San Francisco & Reno for S.I.R. If you like snow, you'll like Truckee. That's the only time in my life I have found myself in shorts & a T-shirt in the middle of a snowstorm - it was hella warm everywhere else!.

"Aw heck, I think he's still "all that". I mean, it depends on who you talk to. " I still love his music, and I know no matter how much I practise, I'll NEVER be as good a musician, songwriter or singer as he is. The "he hasn't been all that" statement is more of a relative-to-himself thing than anything - I'm sure he was a much better performer in his younger years, but I can definitely say he is still one of the very best musicians and songwriters this world has ever known. Just to have had the opportunity to see him in such an intimate setting - and *improvising* at that..damn damn damn damn da-amn! :cry: "BTW...Truckee California sets a lot of both the nation's highs and lows.." I wonder why that is..I used to be a bit of a weather buff (guest-taught an introductory class on clouds in Groundschool 13 years ago), but how one area can have such extremes completely eludes me ..is it the elevation? Proximity to the pacific? I think it's time to hit the books again :D
meh

Actually, 'Rold...I'm sorry...I stand corrected...Truckee is known for national low temps...Death Valley is known for highs. And the Truckee lows are due to the elevation. Actually, same with Death Valley, at below sea level, in the summer, greater pressure than what would normally be around at sea level leads to a higher temperature. It's the same with the Qattara depression in the Sahara. Kinda funny though, because a lot of low areas are known in cooler seasons as cold pools. It's all relative.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Tedster, no, no - no need to be sorry - I was just curious.. I have no idea what the elevation is there or what other factors may have contributed to the area's extremes. Things like these always interest me, mostly because I'm still slowly learning the things I need to know for when I (finally) train for my private power pilot's license. The class I guest-taught on clouds was in Groundschool for gliders; weather conditions, turbulence, thermals, cloud formations, etc. have much more serious effects on non-powered light aircraft but I'd like to treat these with equal respect when flying powered. I take whatever chance I get to learn from people-in-the-know, and I appreciate your input - thanks for the time and the response. :) Peace, Harold
meh

Archived