Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar brand names i want to know more about

GuitarWolf

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the most part, I'd say PRS is the "creme de la creme". But, all manufacturers now have budget lines, many or most foreign made.

The good news is that "cheapie" guitars are a helluva lot better than they were when I was a youngun, and there was basically hardly anything between a Teisco and a Gibson Les Paul. I mean, nowadays there's something for every taste and every budget, much of it far superior in quality to the budget brands I grew up with.

Most of those brands you mention are well known. Schecter got their start making custom bodies and necks for people building their own instruments.

As always, I'll stick by my advice to "play 'em and see, and take someone with you who knows an order of magnitude more than you do when you want to buy". But, don't take a snob, as a snob could talk you out of the guitar you really want just so you can have the honor of spending a couple hundred more on what he thinks you should have.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Y`know, that brings up a question I`ve been curious about. Jackson used to be Jackson/Charvel, right? then they split up at some point. I have a Charvel (without Jackson), and now all I see in the shops are Jackson (without Charvel). I guess the obvious question is, what happened to Charvel?

Out of all those you mentioned, PRS and Dean are the ones I like best. But that's me. It's not only their looks, but the feel of them when I played them that caught my attention. But I haven't the slightest idea when these came into being. For quite a while, I didn't mess around with my guitar, and at the time I dropped off, there wasn't the saturation of brands there are now. And Skip, I'd like to know what happened to Charvel, too!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I bought three new guitars this Spring. The first was a Brian Moore and is setup with a midi transducer and plays like a dream. But when I went to try this instrument out, they also had the PRS Santana SE which I played. I took the Brian Moore home but a week later I went back to get the PRS too.

It's the instrument I pick up most often. I don't mean to belittle the BM at all, it plays wonderfully, but this little Santana is amazing. If I remember correctly there was about a $300 difference in these two guitars. If ya got a budget that's holding ya down, you should probably check this PRS out. I would now like to look at the higher price PRS guitars. Next year...next tax return!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ME: "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen!"

Unknown Voice: "The Shadow do!"

Originally posted by D-Prime:

Austin (Au series if it helps)

Dean

Jackson

Peavey

PRS

SCHECTER

What have u heard/ think about these brands?

I don`t know anything about Austin but the others are OK, now dependes on your style and budget, and what do you expect ... Try everything ...

Originally posted by skip:

Y`know, that brings up a question I`ve been curious about. Jackson used to be Jackson/Charvel, right? then they split up at some point. I have a Charvel (without Jackson), and now all I see in the shops are Jackson (without Charvel). I guess the obvious question is, what happened to Charvel?

Grover Jackson bought Charvel. Charvels are still being produced but I think the main focus is on Jackson products. You can see what Charvel Models are available at:

www.jacksonguitars.com

My Guitar Playing Kills Small Animals

jreilly37,

Thanks for the reference, mon. I did take a look at the site-it`s kind of randomly divided between Jackson and Charvel. Ya sure can`t get too attatched to brand names these days!

BTW, at last years`s music instrument show I played an all-rosewood electric by PRS that knocked me out. Knowing those guys, I didn`t want to ask the price.

http://www.sweetwater.com/images/products/Paul%20Reed%20Smith/Dragon2002GB.jpg

Seems like I saw a price of about $10,000 on this one.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ME: "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen!"

Unknown Voice: "The Shadow do!"

FWIW, most of those guitars are probably made by Samick - a Korean Company that's the largest guitar manufacturer in the world. They make "budget"/mid-price guitars for PRS, Fender, ESP, Schecter etc.

Jackson has US made guitars that cost $1500+ and Indian built (slave labor) guitars that cost as little as $200. Obviously there is a huge difference in quality even though they all say "Jackson". In the end, the proof is in the pudding: Each guitar must be judged on it's own merits. Brand names don't mean much any more.

BTW, Charvel was basically Jackson's "mid-price" line back in the 80s. In those days, all Jacksons were hand-made custom jobs costing $2000+ wheras the Charvels were mass-produced. There were some VERY nice Charvels though. Not sure what the difference is now though.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

i bought a terry mcinturff polaris pro for 1200 about 5 years ago, and am glad i did, every bit the guitar a PRS is, now this one goes for 2200, terry worked for hamer for many years,,, he makes some real big time guitars, more than i can afford now,,,

The San Dimas made Charvels are the most sought after. Theyy were sort of the "custom shop" of Charvel. Very nice guitars made in early-mid 80's. Charvel and Jackson split up and I think Jackson now owns the Charvel name and makes some import guitars with that name.

Like most manufacturers, there are high end and low end models. High end American Jacksons are nice.

The Peavey Wolfgang is also a very sweet little axe. American made Schecters are also good guitars.

I don't have much experience with PRS, so I can't say. But I guarantee you can get a used San Dimas Charvel for about $1000, which would be as good or better than any sub $2000 PRS.

Depends on your style too. If you're playing old blues or jazz, you wouldn't want a Charvel, Jackson, or old Kramer.

TurboDog-

Ya, I`ve played gigs with the charvel where people start bumming ear protection off each other before I even plug in!

BTW, mine`s a model 6, active humbucker, twin singles, maple neck thru, poplar sides, jet black.

REALLY fast action, clearly made with monster licks, etc. in mind. It`s not handmade but I played four or five before choosing this one. it`s been very reliable both in the studio and live.

The first electric guitar I bought new was a Schecter from a Sam Ash store. I was probably 17, so it was almost twenty years ago. When I was buying it, I asked about the warranty. That's when they said Schecter was out of business but the store would give me their own warranty. It was a nice little Strat-copy and I still have it. It's my next-to-my-bed-so-I-got-something-to-play-when-I-can't-sleep guitar.

Apparently, they're back in business (for a couple of years now). I like the way their new stuff looks, but haven't played them.

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

The deal with PRS and Schecter is that you are mostly paying for the type of wood it is made of, the finish it has, or simply to have the name Schecter or PRS on the headcstock. I can understand wanting a nice looking guitar, but paying so much for that mahogany body? It's an electric guitar!! It would be okay if you just plan on never plugging the thing in, because once it's plugged in, all that matters is the pickups, the strings, and the straightness of the neck. The neck is the only thing I would worry about when looking at what wood the guitar is made of.

Just my $0.02, though.

Y'all come nack now, ya hear?

Originally posted by allthegoodnamesaretaken:

The deal with PRS and Schecter is that you are mostly paying for the type of wood it is made of, the finish it has, or simply to have the name Schecter or PRS on the headcstock. I can understand wanting a nice looking guitar, but paying so much for that mahogany body? It's an electric guitar!! It would be okay if you just plan on never plugging the thing in, because once it's plugged in, all that matters is the pickups, the strings, and the straightness of the neck. The neck is the only thing I would worry about when looking at what wood the guitar is made of.

Just my $0.02, though.

gotta disagree with ya there, mon. ALL guitar bodies resonate.

Archived