Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

drove to a guitar store today...

GuitarWolf

and i got confused out of my mind, i went up to the salesman and i asked him what some of the better mid-ranged guitars in the store, he showed me them and started to tell me about the upgraded tremilo's and a whole bunch of other good parts and features on it... guess what! i have no clue what all these parts are! whats a tremilo? could some one explain the parts of an electric guitar to me!?!
YtseJam your Majesty!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey D-prime, The tremelo is the bridge,it has springs(accessible from back side of guitar).It has a bar on the front side.Push the bar down and it drops the note.On Floyd Rose trems you can pull up on the bar to bring the note up.Also on Floyd Rose units there is a locking nut which is at the top of the neck.It locks the strings down to prevent it from going out of tune.Where as the old knife edge tremelos a la Fender go out of tune very quickly. The main thing I look for when I but a guitar is the frets. I buy mostly used so a good neck with no warpage and with good frets (not worn down to much.Some folks buy guitars based on the pickups. I play Fenders and perfer single coils.Pickups are magnets wrapped with wire this is what picks up the sound from the strings.Some folks prefer humbuckers Which looks like two single coils put together these are meatier sounding and don't put out as much noise. Single coils tend to be noiseier but I like em anyway.Also there are active pickups,these pickups require batteries.They sound awesome.But having a battery go dead in the middle of a gig is a nightmare.Coil tap switchs are very handy if you go the humbucker route.A coil tap splits a humbucker thus making it a single coil.Tuners are also important.They need to be tight.Well not tight but not a lot of slop in them.Locking tuners work well with Fenders.They lock the strings at the tuner itself as opposed to a lock on the nut.I hope this helps some.Later James
jgc2002 is not responsible for damages ,injuries and or death as result of above post.Side effects include nasuea,dizziness,dry mouth,vomiting,blurred vision,nervousness,loss of memory and in extreme cases sexual side effects. www.mp3.com/salt_creek

D-Prime

Guitar Player magazine has a file which explains the parts of an electric guitar, from top to bottom. Can`t remember the name offhand-I`ll see if I can locate it. Meanwhile, try going to the site and check around, you may be able to find it yourself.

I just wanted to clarify a few things jgc2002 said about the tremolos.

Almost all tremolos can be adjusted to go up and down, not just the Floyd Roses. Most Strats seem to be setup with the bridge "locked down", where it is resting against the body of the guitar. This prevents you from being able to pull up on the bar. You can change this (you usually need to remove a spring or two from the unit). There's a couple of reasons people lock their trems down. First, if you break a string, the loss of tension on the bridge will cause it to fall back (the bar will go up). This will put the guitar horribly out of tune (sucks if you're in the middle of a gig). If the bridge is already resting on the body, then it can't fall back, and the guitar stays in tune. Second, some people feel that the tone of the guitar is improved when the bridge is in full contact with the body.

Also, Floyd Rose units are a love 'em or hate 'em kind of thing. They do a good job a staying in tune. But, they're larger than many other tremolos and many people feel that they "get in the way". Changing strings on a Floyd Rose is more involved then many other bridges.

Hope this helps.

Jim

In an effort to improve the responsiveness of e-mail for everyone, the e-mail servers will be out of service.

We are hopeful that this change will improve the performance of e-mail.

Changing strings on a Floyd Rose sucks. Also, if you plan to detune (Drop tune or anything) a Rose sucks. About the only thing Roses are good for is if you're gonna spandex out, grow your golden locks, and learn to shred.

But, that's just my opinion...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

D-Prime.

A book you should read before you spend any money on a guitar is THE GUITAR HANDBOOK by Ralph Denyer.

The Guitar Handbook

It will tell you everything about electric (and acoustic) guitars, how they're built and what the parts are.

It also has a lot of music theory, technique info and a full chord dictionary as well as wiring tips, effects info, and general maintenance. Probably one of the most useful books ever written. Very well-written.

Buy it and read it BEFORE you go buy a guitar.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Gee the only thing I knew when I picked out my first electric guitar was that Jeff Beck played the same model. It was a Telecaster. Actually you might consider getting one of those. They have the least number of confusing parts. Only 2 pickups (unless you get an Esquire which has just 1), no tremolo and just a volume and a tone control. Less is more, less to worry about and more time to concentrate on learning how to play guitar.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

I'll second that! The Tele is the electric guitar in it's purest (and best IMHO) form. That being said, Fender now makes at least 20 different teles, some of which suck, so buying one can be confusing.

Yeah, but even a bad Mexi Tele is better than an Ibanez with a Floyd(or even worse, a floyd lisensed trem.)

Hmmm....not so sure I agree with that. Before we all drive D-Prime away from Floyd Roses (or Ibanezes), maybe we should find out what kind of music he's planning on playing. If his goal is to be the next Satriani, then a Tele probably isn't what he wants.

But I do agree, stay away from the Floyd licensed stuff.

In an effort to improve the responsiveness of e-mail for everyone, the e-mail servers will be out of service.

Yeah, but even a bad Mexi Tele is better than an Ibanez with a Floyd(or even worse, a floyd lisensed trem.)

I sense a nasty bias. While I love my tele, I have made room in my collection for a couple of Ibanez guitars. Excellent, modern, hi-tech guitars. Some really innovative designs. The Floyd-licensed Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge tremolo system is considered by many to be the best locking trem made.

Ibanez make some really fine axes.

Originally posted by JimK:

Hmmm....not so sure I agree with that. Before we all drive D-Prime away from Floyd Roses (or Ibanezes), maybe we should find out what kind of music he's planning on playing. If his goal is to be the next Satriani, then a Tele probably isn't what he wants.

But I do agree, stay away from the Floyd licensed stuff.

im gonna play Punk Rock, Hard Rock, Rock, Punk, Metal- Ive never seen any of these played with a tele (well maybe just the vocalist in Goldfigner, but the lead guitarist plays a les paul)... so i pretty much have my mind set on getting a strat or a les paul with humbuckers
YtseJam your Majesty!

Originally posted by Sylver:

I dont agree! Each to his ow. Opinions, sylver. Opinions! Personall, I cannot STAND the look of the telecaster... theyre so... UGLY. Sure, the sound might be good - but again, thats depending on what you play. MYself, I wouldnt buy one for the world :)

heh. sorry :P

Like I said. opinions.

Nolly

"Money, Bitchez and Cheese!"

http://www.playspoon.com/nollykin/files/voxline.gif

"I never thought about it, and I never stopped to feel -

But I didn't want you telling me just what to think was real.

And as simple as it comes, I only wanted to express-

...But with expression comes regret - and I don't want you hating me."

Master prime.

If you're playing what you say you're playing... I wouldnt look at strats... unless theyre fat strats. I'd suggest you go for a guitar with a humbuckler... and I would DEFINATELY, DEFINATELY reccoment epis and ibanez's.

This isnt always the case, but in my mind, it goes like this: Fender is for blues, funk, country, western, non distorted stuff, or rock... maybe slightly distorted. Gibson, Epi, Ibanez, are all good for "metal" and other distorted or heavy sounds. THeyre heavy. In my head, gibson and fender are the two giants, and two very opposites. Hence why theyre both giant, and both in business. They dont compete so hard.

OF COURSE! This is always subject to variations. I know, many country, blues players play gibson, and yes, a lot of metal players play fenders (Devin Townsend for one)... but generally, I think, fender = white. Gibson = black. :P

Dont slate me.

Nolly

I think we're talking Les Paul (type) for metal or punk. I was just bringing up the Tele in response to the original post describing confusion about the many different features of different guitars. The Tele doesn't really have "features", unless simplicity is considered a feature in itself. One tried and true approach to buying a guitar is to just buy the same guitar that your favorite guitarist has. I guess this could be tough if you favorite guitarist is Wes Montgomery since a guitar like his costs $5,000 but in general you will at least be close to sounding like what you want to sound like. In any case if you don't sound at all like that guy you will know that you are the reason and not the guitar. Keep in mind that you will have to buy the same amp too! Epihones are reasonable substitutes for Gibsons I've heard.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

prime:

Can't go wrong with a Les Paul :)

One final suggestion: as Nolly said, consider a fat strat. A mexi fat strat is a good guitar. You'll have the humbucker you need, but you'll also have some single coils if the mood should ever strike. I've had a fat strat with a split-coil humbucker for 17 years. It's the only electric I ever play, it's that versatile.

Jim

One thing to keep in mind is that Les Pauls are HEAVY. They weigh anywhere from 10-13lbs. which can be hard on your neck and shoulders.

If you're a big guy, this is not a problem but if you're a shorty like me, a lighter guitar (7lbs. and under) is a must.

Note that the Ibanez S-series guitars are great for the kind of music you want to play. Avoid anything with a 3 in the model number (i.e. Ibanez S320). The S470 is a good one.

I agree Gabriel, LP's are HEAVY. And I'm not a small guy. 6'0. However, I think the quality of the guitar, their playability and awesome tone is worth it. Been playing one for many years. If you go with a LP use a wide strap. And if you're playing alot of long sets...make sure you are on good terms with your chiropracter. I've always thought someone should come up with a strap/rig gizmo that distributes the weight better than a strap. Or maybe Gibson should experiment with a lightweight LP?? (course then you'd lose much of that great LP tone) SEHpicker

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

When discussions like this get watered down to the lowest common denominator it always seems like it's GIBSON LES PAUL vs FENDER STRAT. Too bad all the other brands and models don't get respect. How about some poi-sonality like the Telly guys are putting over? Or a similar move in the Gibson direction: the SG? Or getting bold and checking out the Paul Reed Smith affordable jobbie with the 25" scale. Scale and construction methods have about as much to do with the sound as pickups anyway...

And hey, Ibanez is being played by some guys who can play anything. And Carvin. Etc.

Almost any guitar can be played in ANY style if you have the 'nads (pardon the slant, ladies) and the musicianship. Look at what the Nuge was playing. Or check out some of the jazz guys playing Telecasters (Ed Bickert ferinstance), etc.

<-- greenboy ---<<<<     in bass land it's often P vs J. yawnsies.

I think some of you are really selling LP's & strats short when you say Lp's are for this and strats are for that. In the right hands a Les Paul can produce some of the sweetest clean sounds you'll ever hear and a strat is used by tons of great guitarists with a heavy distortion.

Listen to Les Paul himself play. Pure sweetness and clean as a whistle. And Jimi played a strat with plenty of distortion. SEHpicker

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

OY VEY!!

Just pick out a guitar, already!

All this nonsense over what guitar handles what music sounds more like brainstorming for the marketing directors. Les Paul proved YEARS ago that the "hollow-body for jazz, solid-body for rock" ethic was pure HORSESHIT! Adjust your amp,

twiddle your guitars knobs, and you're good to go with whatever you play. Sure, the bridge and tremelo package can matter when it comes to endurance for metal folly. But there is TOO MUCH

sound-shaping product out there to warrant such needless debate. It finally comes down to liking what you see. If you like strats, go out and BUY one! Same with any other guitar.

Country artists use Gibsons? So why is Brad Paisley kickin' ass with that Tele? Wasn't that a Gretsch Chet Atkins used all them years before he switched? Like George Harrison used? And Brian Setzer? What's up with that?

And, by the way, all that hairy solo work Ted Nugent did way-back with The Amboy Dukes was played on an old Gibson Byrdland!

HO-LLOW-BO-DY!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

One thing to keep in mind is that Les Pauls are HEAVY. They weigh anywhere from 10-13lbs. which can be hard on your neck and shoulders.

If you're a big guy, this is not a problem but if you're a shorty like me, a lighter guitar (7lbs. and under) is a must.

Note that the Ibanez S-series guitars are great for the kind of music you want to play. Avoid anything with a 3 in the model number (i.e. Ibanez S320). The S470 is a good one.

why should i avoid 3?
YtseJam your Majesty!

Anything lower than a 400 series is either Korean or Taiwanese and should be avoided - the quality control isn't as good.

If you get in an Ibanez, make sure it's Japanese.

Sorry if I'm offending anyone,but for the kind of music you play,you don't need a good guitar. You'll have so much distortion you can't tell what it even sounds like. But,being the Fender endorser I am,go for a Fender Fat Strat or Double Fat Strat(Two Humbuckers instead of one). Or you could save money and get a Squier Fat Strat cause,like I said,for the music your gonna play a good guitar doesn't matter.

Allen

I love my Ibanez+FloydRose (licensed). I'm no shredder either. It stays in tune for weeks ... hell, it's ALWAYS in tune. Yep, break a string and you're toast. I use .10's and they don't break so that's not a deal. I tried the blocked trems and couldn't relate ... I *have* to pull up a little. I use the trem to sound like finger trem, which is always pulling the pitch UP. So, don't lump us Floyd users into the dive bomb/shredder camp.

Prime.

Assuming you're a student, like me, and dont have loads of cash to buy a guitar with - dont get a gibson, fender, or epi. Theyre too expensive - simple as that.

Dont listen to these guys who say things like "dont get anything under the ibanez 400 series - theyre crap"... I mean, fair enough - and thats true if you have the cash - if you have the cash for a 400+, then go for it - but generally, you wont have the cash. In which case, check out cheaper, decent quality guitars.

For cheaper guitars that sound alright I'd reccoment ibanez and yamaha - as I always do. Theyre korean / taiwanese etc, but hell, you arent gonna get anything better for the price. As far as cheap guitars go, I think it was ted nightshade or tedster or turbodog who originally said to me "Ibanez and yamaha are the best for that price range"... and In my experience, theyre right.

you arent going to get your dream guitar straight away. you simply arent. so settle. get something of decent quality, nice price, which hits you. if you play it, and it says "BUY ME!" and you fall in love with it, then do a little research and buy it.

I mean - its all well and good to get other peoples opinions, but have a look at this post - you get the point - everyone has an opinion, even me. but keep in mind its up to you in the end.

Nolly

Archived