Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

drove to a guitar store today...

GuitarWolf

Originally posted by Nollykin:

Prime.

Assuming you're a student, like me, and dont have loads of cash to buy a guitar with - dont get a gibson, fender, or epi. Theyre too expensive - simple as that.

Dont listen to these guys who say things like "dont get anything under the ibanez 400 series - theyre crap"... I mean, fair enough - and thats true if you have the cash - if you have the cash for a 400+, then go for it - but generally, you wont have the cash. In which case, check out cheaper, decent quality guitars.

For cheaper guitars that sound alright I'd reccoment ibanez and yamaha - as I always do. Theyre korean / taiwanese etc, but hell, you arent gonna get anything better for the price. As far as cheap guitars go, I think it was ted nightshade or tedster or turbodog who originally said to me "Ibanez and yamaha are the best for that price range"... and In my experience, theyre right.

you arent going to get your dream guitar straight away. you simply arent. so settle. get something of decent quality, nice price, which hits you. if you play it, and it says "BUY ME!" and you fall in love with it, then do a little research and buy it.

I mean - its all well and good to get other peoples opinions, but have a look at this post - you get the point - everyone has an opinion, even me. but keep in mind its up to you in the end.

Nolly

yea i am a Univ Undergrad... but Nolly u have to remember, they said the quality control isnt as great that doesnt mean there bad guitars (like u said) it just means that of a sample of lets say 100 Ibanez guitars you might get 20 pieces of crap out of the 100 guitars of the below 300 series rather than a possible 10 pieces of crap out of the mid to high range pro models
YtseJam your Majesty!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a point - my point was that a lot of people here - myself included - tend to suggest guitars WAY out of your budget. like les pauls, and sgs. So uhh, go for your budget.

=)

Nolly

"Money, Bitchez and Cheese!"

http://www.playspoon.com/nollykin/files/voxline.gif

"I never thought about it, and I never stopped to feel -

But I didn't want you telling me just what to think was real.

And as simple as it comes, I only wanted to express-

...But with expression comes regret - and I don't want you hating me."

Nolly. I agree with you completely.

D-Prime, sorry for participating in this mess. Again, I strongly recommend you get "the Guitar Handbook" (available from your local Chapters) and read it. Also get a few copies of Guitar Player magazine just to get an idea of what gear people use.

You should have an idea of what you want BEFORE you go to the store. Ignore the salesman, his interests are not the same as yours.

Guitars made in the US or Japan are GENERALLY better than 3rd world imports. You will save yourself a lot of $$ over the years if you buy something good the first time around (and have a clear conscience knowing that your guitar wasn't made by what amounts to slave labour). If you buy a used guitar, you'll get a much better deal - guitars don't wear out.

My first guitar was an old, beat-up Fender Telecaster that I saved up for. 15 years later, it's still my main guitar.

A year or so after I bought the Tele, I bought a new cheapo Yamaha RGX to play metal on. It quickly became apparent that it wasn't very good and I outgrew it. Problem was, when I tried to sell it, all I could get was $100 CDN. I think it cost new what my tele cost used. Budget guitars have virtually no resale value.

You should get something that's inspiring to play. If you can't afford what you want now, save up some more until you can.

Good luck.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

:thu: GabrielE was right about ignoring the salesman.

If I said it once, I've said it a thousand times;

if there is a better guitar at a cheaper price, HE won't tell you about it!

Now, there ARE exceptions to that rule, and if you buy at a store you hang out in a lot, and they know you pretty well, the salesman might give you an honest break.

But otherwise, BEWARE!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived