Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Saw Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

Saw them at the Tampa Theater this past thursday. They are truly a class act. This performance they had a sax player and tabla player, in addition to the usual lineup of Bela, Victor Wooten, and Future Man. The sax player is part of the regular lineup now, but the tabla player was only there for this performance. The mic setup was a mix of Shure KSM 27's and 32's. There were two 32's on the saxophone; one low and one high to get full coverage of the sound despite his tendency to move the bell up and down. There was also a clip type mic on the bell; they used the feed from this to run through various effects, including auto wah and harmonization. On the tabla they were using a SM 57 that looked cobbled together from about three different mics, one of them being the unidyne III version. The 27's were used for incedental vocals in a couple of songs and stage banter. There was also another mic on the drum overheads, that I could not identify, as well as some other things that I just couldn't see from my vantage point. They were all excellent musicians- Victor Wooten has to be the best bass player I have ever seen live. Future Man and his "drumitar" is something else as well. It's especially interesting when he plays the drumitar with one hand and the drum kit with the other. Bela Fleck is also smoking! If they come to your town check them out!

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awesome! :thu: I've seen these guys many times over the years and they never fail to perform an amazing show, and they ALWAYS keep things fresh and interesting with special guests, new arrrangements, textures, you name it. I was at a relatively early Flecktones show at the Hilton in Melbourne Florida when Howard Levy was still in the band (for those who don't remember Howard played keys and harmonica, and 'gelled' perfectly with the band. I still consider that their classic lineup) and after the show they all just hung out for like an hour and talked to whoever wanted to chat with them. Brilliantly talented and totally down to earth those guys. I'll be on the lookout to see when they are coming to the area. Last time I saw them was a free show at Stern Grove in San Francisco. They had the sax player and a tabla player as well, and it was a great new sound for them. Thanks for the heads up!

Saw them at Music Midtown in Atlanta last year, and they truly smoked. Did the sax player do what he did at the show I saw: put two saxes in his mouth at once and play a duet with HIMSELF? :thu:

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

[quote]Originally posted by Jode: [b]Saw them at Music Midtown in Atlanta last year, and they truly smoked. Did the sax player do what he did at the show I saw: put two saxes in his mouth at once and play a duet with HIMSELF? :thu: [/b][/quote]Yeah! He did do that- Edgar Winter did it first, but this guy did it better.

[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Jode: [b]Saw them at Music Midtown in Atlanta last ... Did the sax player do what he did at the show I saw: put two saxes in his mouth at once and play a duet with HIMSELF? :thu: [/b][/quote]Yeah! He did do that- Edgar Winter did it first, but this guy did it better.[/b][/quote]wrongum boyo-edgar winter? rahsaan roland kirk was an early sax('60s)player who did that-numerous others since then-dick hecstall smith in england-dave valentin...the list is long. s :cool:
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

I met Howard Levy back in 1992, when he was still with BF&TFT's. He's truly an innovator on harp, and an incredible keyboard player. I was working GC on Belmont Ave. in Chicago. The first time he came in with a briefcase full of harps, all of them tuned to specific keys. I went to our accessory dept. and found a chromatic harp. The next time he visited the store, I asked him why a player of his caliber didn't use a chromatic harp. He proceeded to give me a demonstration of his over-blowing technique. Like other wind driven instrument musicians, he's able to find every note in the chromatic scale on [i]any[/i] tuned harp. As far as I know, he was the first harp player to figure this out. Monster technique and style, he has.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

this is what I don't understand. Every time I have ever seen them they have been phenominal, they have an impact on anyone who sees them and they do get respect , who would disrespect them?, but.. they are still underated and understated. could you imagine the effect on kids if mtv was playing this kind of stuff, kids would want to build talent like that and we would be enriched across the board.

[quote]Originally posted by Nawledge: [b]this is what I don't understand. Every time I have ever seen them they have been phenominal, they have an impact on anyone who sees them and they do get respect , who would disrespect them?, but.. they are still underated and understated. could you imagine the effect on kids if mtv was playing this kind of stuff, kids would want to build talent like that and we would be enriched across the board.[/b][/quote]Yeah, but Dave Matthews is the MTV version of the Flecktones :(

Hey GT, I got two words for you: Clear Channel. In every city, on every station, you hear the SAME music, and it is not limited to hit radio. Right now I'm listening to the same songs in the same order on a local CC classic rock station. It's on at work, and they play the same tired old shit every day. I heard a guy say once that he once heard Aretha Franklin, John Coltrane, Cream, and Ravi Shankar played, in that order, on the same radio station. What radio station these days would play, for example, Tool, Pink, Bela Fleck, and the Chieftains?

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

[quote]Originally posted by Botch.: [b]For those of you who haven't been able to catch them live yet, they do have a DVD of their show out that is, quite simply, the best DVD in my collection. Get it. (no I don't work for them :D ).[/b][/quote]Agreed -
Woof!

Archived