Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Hi myles! Came to this board from your amp blueprinting page. I've read through your amp blueprinting document countless times as well! What I have is a '74 dual showman reverb, which doesn't have a bias adjust trimmer pot, and I intend to keep that way.

Suppose I want output tubes to have a long life, and yet still run hot enough to sound good, I'd want tubes equivalent to a gt rating of 4-7 right? What do I specify to Steve Martin, since I'll be ordering some from AES? My fear is that after getting a nice matched quad winged c sed 6L6GCs, it will run cold and have some crossover distortion (or low ghost notes, or just sound really sterile), or on the other (worse) end of things, red-plate from the get-go!

Hope to hear from you. In the meantime, I'll go through the 160 pages of thread here. Just ignore this post if it has been answered and I'll eventually stumble onto it here. :whistle::D Thanks.

Hey, Myles, would you please weigh-in on this thread:

Egnater Rebel 30 combo-thread

Not so much about that Egnater amp itself, but about some of the posted ideas there about tube-amp circuit design, operational class, and components... and, please, correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks. :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hi myles! Came to this board from your amp blueprinting page. I've read through your amp blueprinting document countless times as well! What I have is a '74 dual showman reverb, which doesn't have a bias adjust trimmer pot, and I intend to keep that way.

Suppose I want output tubes to have a long life, and yet still run hot enough to sound good, I'd want tubes equivalent to a gt rating of 4-7 right? What do I specify to Steve Martin, since I'll be ordering some from AES? My fear is that after getting a nice matched quad winged c sed 6L6GCs, it will run cold and have some crossover distortion (or low ghost notes, or just sound really sterile), or on the other (worse) end of things, red-plate from the get-go!

Hope to hear from you. In the meantime, I'll go through the 160 pages of thread here. Just ignore this post if it has been answered and I'll eventually stumble onto it here. :whistle::D Thanks.

Just tell Steve that you want 6L6's in the middle range of their tester.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Hey, Myles, would you please weigh-in on this thread:

Egnater Rebel 30 combo-thread

Not so much about that Egnater amp itself, but about some of the posted ideas there about tube-amp circuit design, operational class, and components... and, please, correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks. :cool:

Just contact Bruce ... he is a great guy and will be happy to supply info.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

I've been going through tubes pretty quickly in my Rivera Clubster 45. I've been getting good tone from the GT-EL34Ms and the SED Winged C EL34s but they seem to crap out pretty quickly. (6 months of mostly weekend gigs). I'm think of trying the GT-E34LS since they claim to be a more powerful and longer lasting tube.

What is your take on these tubes? Any others you would recommend for this amp?

Thanks,

David

Myles, on another note, you said in your primer document that shuguang tubes are promising (my impression at least). I see a lot of them on ebay, but it appears they aren't matched sets. How would I go about matching them using the bias balance pot on my amp? I'm thinking I should still measure idle dissipation (plate voltage and cathode current), and swing the balance so they're about roughly matched.

How would you proceed to use the bias balance the way cbs fender intended for it to be used?

Myles, on another note, you said in your primer document that shuguang tubes are promising (my impression at least). I see a lot of them on ebay, but it appears they aren't matched sets. How would I go about matching them using the bias balance pot on my amp? I'm thinking I should still measure idle dissipation (plate voltage and cathode current), and swing the balance so they're about roughly matched.

How would you proceed to use the bias balance the way cbs fender intended for it to be used?

BUY MATCHED SETS.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

I'm having basic problems getting the right tone, EQ, etc. from my Fender Starcaster (yes, a Starcaster, bought the guitar from Target, so it's a starter guitar and it stinks).

I'm using D'Addario XL Regular Gauge Strings and a Line 6 Spider III 15 watt combo, and I was wondering how I could get the right tone. Does my guitar just suck? Does my amp suck?

-anderseb

Stick it to the man.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/anderseb/

(Muh homepage of greatness)

Hi Myles,

I'm having basic problems getting the right tone, EQ, etc. from my Fender Starcaster (yes, a Starcaster, bought the guitar from Target, so it's a starter guitar and it stinks).

I'm using D'Addario XL Regular Gauge Strings and a Line 6 Spider III 15 watt combo, and I was wondering how I could get the right tone. Does my guitar just suck? Does my amp suck?

-anderseb

Let me say this .... Spyders are generally way more wattage and if somebody like Carl Verheyen was playing the rig it would sound great. Bad tone is more the player than the rig in a lot of cases.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I've been getting good tone from the GT-EL34Ms and the SED Winged C EL34s but they seem to crap out pretty quickly. (6 months of mostly weekend gigs). I'm think of trying the GT-E34LS or the JJs (are they the same tube?) since they both claim to be a more powerful and longer lasting tube.

What is your take on these tubes? Any others you would recommend for a Rivera Clubster 45??

Thanks,

David

David ... what is your bias set to in millimaps? Six months of only weekend gigs is short life.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

I couldn't say specifically - I always have my amp tech set the bias for me when I re-tube. I totally trust him since he's been working for years on various amps for me. I know he does it "old school" using a scope, checking crossover notch dist etc...

I'll see if I can find out.

Any other tubes you like for this amp?

Thanks,

David

Myles

hello and thanks for all the advise you give.

I am looking at buying an Ampeg R-12 Reverberocket reissue.

the amp i am looking at sound great and everything works on it.

the question i have is there are 2 EL34's for power tubes.

All the info I can find say there should be 2 6L6's. It looks

like i could still put 6L6's in the sockets. has this amp been

modified? Is this ok will it harm the amp? if it was modified

how can i check it to make sure it was done properly? I like the way the amp sounds now so I would like to leave the EL34's in there if it won't harm the amp.

thanks Ben

Why do you lay down? I say that it beats standing up! whats got you feeling so down? I hold up my empty cup!

Ben,

Do not use EL34 tubes in a 6L6 amp unless the screen resistors are 1K ohm 5 watters minimum and the bias can be adjusted properly.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

well i have replaced the EL34's with the 6L6's. I really can't

hear the difference. So I will be using the proper tubes 6L6's.

Out of curiousity what will happen if you do use EL34 in an amp

that requires 6L6's? If it damages the amp i don't know if I want

to buy this one cause it has had EL34's in it and i have no idea

how long!

thanks Ben

Why do you lay down? I say that it beats standing up! whats got you feeling so down? I hold up my empty cup!

You need to bias properly no matter which tube is used. Check the screen resistors to assure you did not burn one up.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Paul,

I generally turn to Mercury Magnetics for transformers. Hit their website and call Patrick over there, he will help you.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

• 2 weeks later...

You steared me towards a haed switcher so that I could use both of my amps through on speaker. I got one and it works great! thanks. Now I would like to isolate the speaker in my combo amp and use it instead of my cabinet.

My question is; do I need to place a resistor in the wires that are coming from the amp if I unplug them. Currently with the rig all hooked up I get output from the combo amps speaker as well as the cabinet. With the speaker wires unplugged would I risk the combo amps health?

TPA ...

You need to have any amp that is turned on have a load of some sort on it when in operation. The speaker in the combo does not need to be plugged into anything but if the combo amp is on there does need to be something plugged into it's speaker jack whether it is a speaker or a load of some sort.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

The clean channel (channel 2) on my Quiana is acting up (unwanted distortion), though channel 1 sounds fine. Would you be able to tell me which pre-amp tube I should replace first to troubleshoot the problem, V1 or V2?

Thanks as always for your help,

Dave

Hi Myles,

The clean channel (channel 2) on my Quiana is acting up (unwanted distortion), though channel 1 sounds fine. Would you be able to tell me which pre-amp tube I should replace first to troubleshoot the problem, V1 or V2?

Thanks as always for your help,

Dave

Most impacted by V1 but it could be something else.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

I have two bass cabinets I would like to use together, but neither of them have more than one amp input on them, and the amp has no parallel outs when it's bridged over to mono, and that's where it has the best sound/most volume.

I think the two cabs would sound good together, but at least one of them will have to have a parallel input/output installed to make it happen. I can do it myself if it's not too complicated. Do you just run jumper wires off the original jack to the second one, or is there more to it than that?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Myles,

I have two bass cabinets I would like to use together, but neither of them have more than one amp input on them, and the amp has no parallel outs when it's bridged over to mono, and that's where it has the best sound/most volume.

I think the two cabs would sound good together, but at least one of them will have to have a parallel input/output installed to make it happen. I can do it myself if it's not too complicated. Do you just run jumper wires off the original jack to the second one, or is there more to it than that?

You can purchase a parallel adaptor at most electronics stores that is 1/4" male to two 1?4" female jacks. Just make sure the impedance of two cabs does not go below the amp's requirements.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

HY!

I have a Marshall 9100 and I'd lke to put new Mesa Boogie 5881 tubes. Can you tell what the proper bias value would be and where I could take the reading, since there are no easy test-points on this thing...? I'm sure it's a stupid question, but I thank you in advance for any enlightment you might cast upon this desperate guitar player... :)

Thank you again!

Luca