Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

yeah, speaking of the GAB website.........i love that site! ive been poking around in there for years now, and always find neat stuff and info.

those tube primers should be udated though with some current tubes that are on the market, such as the GT el34M, JJ803, tungsol re-isuues, etc............

but i know you are a busy man myles.........and only have two hands.

Originally posted by bryan k:

yeah, speaking of the GAB website.........i love that site! ive been poking around in there for years now, and always find neat stuff and info.

those tube primers should be udated though with some current tubes that are on the market, such as the GT el34M, JJ803, tungsol re-isuues, etc............

but i know you are a busy man myles.........and only have two hands.

Bryan,

Most of the tubes in the primer are still the most popular. I do need to get some of the new stuff up there though, and will try to get to it at some point. That will be something of a major undertaking as there are a few amps that would be changed in my favorite amps area .... mostly the stuff from Ludovic Pierson at www.pierson-amps.com ... Nick Greer's amps at www.nickgreerexpdesigns.8m.com ... and Rick Gessner's stuff at www.valvetrainamps.com

Ludo Pierson built this ....

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/images/pierson-rose.jpg%5B/imghttp://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/images/PICT0284.JPG' alt='PICT0284.JPG'>

Both these amps will be at the May 13th 2006 ampshow.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

yup, that ecc83 NOC phillips miniwatt....is awesome! some much clarity and transparency! and it has a nice sustaining quality to it!

this one was made in holland with long grey ribbed plates, and a 'D" getter.

good god, this thing is gonna stay in the V1 spot!

hey myles111 ive been playing guitar for a while now but my tunning stability isnt great and i think im not putting the strings on correctly,should i wind the strings around a few times after i put them throuch the machine heads?i usually just hold them tight while i turn the heads,im using a stagg electro/acoustic any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks
"The Bridge Above The River Is Only The Begining Of Your Fall"

Originally posted by scatterbrain:

hey myles111 ive been playing guitar for a while now but my tunning stability isnt great and i think im not putting the strings on correctly,should i wind the strings around a few times after i put them throuch the machine heads?i usually just hold them tight while i turn the heads,im using a stagg electro/acoustic any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

I like about 2 and a half wraps

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Mike Gug:

In my Peavey Classic 30 (2 channel amp), I'd like to install a footswitch for channel switching. Would this footswitch work by simply plugging it in, or is there soldering and work involved?

Right now it has a reverb footswitch which works properly.

A standard footswitch works on most amps that already have capability for footswitching. The link you supplied does not work.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

You may remember me from a few months ago (think my last post was in November 2005) regarding a sick Nomad 45 that had a gloomy prognosis! Well...

I picked up the amp a couple of days ago and its good news. First off - the technician who repaired the amp is THE most respected MESA authorised engineer in the country - certainly in respect with MESA USA. All UK forum members who own a MESA amp take note: DO NOT entrust you amp to anyone else. Go to www.surreyamps.co.uk and contact Stan Lawrence. With the assistance of MESA USA (in particular a technician called Phet [silent h]), the amp has been returned to it's former glory and has been 100% certified. If you must go to another engineer, make sure that they are MESA authorised.

Please dont make the same mistake I made I contacted someone who had an advert in UKs Guitarist magazine. He claimed he was qualified to repair MESA amps and had in fact restored a Nomad 45 for another client who was very satisfied. Fact he is not recognised by MESA and does not own the sophisticated equipment with which to undertake testing. Fact he charged me a lot of money for a botch-up, which only added to the ultimate cost and hassle of repairs. Fact he installed a fan and by law is required to ensure it conforms to regulations and supply a PAT certificate, which he did not without this certificate, the equipment cannot be played in public and all the associated legal liabilities.

The total cost of repairs now stands at £400. It would have cost less than half that had I contacted MESA UK in the first place!!

Stan Lawrence of www.surreyamps.co.uk determined that the amp had probably had a faulty capacitor since new (the original owner lied to me and I made the mistake of thinking it just needed new valves). The unauthorised engineer attempted to replace the capacitor but ended up damaging the main PCB with CU tracks pulled from the fibre-glass.

Now to the good stuff. I have had a chance to play with this amp and here are my observations - Channel 1 is superb! Great clean and rock sounds abound. Channel 2 is my favourite in the normal power amp mode. But here is the interesting part switch the power amp voicing to extreme and channels 2 and 3 really opened up. I got some truly amazing low end grind with channel 3 in this mode. I havent had the chance to play it through an extension cab but I would imagine its awesome.

Anyway, thank you Myles for your advice and support in the past. Truly appreciated!

Best, Mike.

Originally posted by Mike1959:

Hi Myles,

You may remember me from a few months ago (think my last post was in November 2005) regarding a sick Nomad 45 that had a gloomy prognosis! Well...

I picked up the amp a couple of days ago and its good news. First off - the technician who repaired the amp is THE most respected MESA authorised engineer in the country - certainly in respect with MESA USA. All UK forum members who own a MESA amp take note: DO NOT entrust you amp to anyone else. Go to www.surreyamps.co.uk and contact Stan Lawrence. With the assistance of MESA USA (in particular a technician called Phet [silent h]), the amp has been returned to it's former glory and has been 100% certified. If you must go to another engineer, make sure that they are MESA authorised.

Please dont make the same mistake I made I contacted someone who had an advert in UKs Guitarist magazine. He claimed he was qualified to repair MESA amps and had in fact restored a Nomad 45 for another client who was very satisfied. Fact he is not recognised by MESA and does not own the sophisticated equipment with which to undertake testing. Fact he charged me a lot of money for a botch-up, which only added to the ultimate cost and hassle of repairs. Fact he installed a fan and by law is required to ensure it conforms to regulations and supply a PAT certificate, which he did not without this certificate, the equipment cannot be played in public and all the associated legal liabilities.

The total cost of repairs now stands at £400. It would have cost less than half that had I contacted MESA UK in the first place!!

Stan Lawrence of www.surreyamps.co.uk determined that the amp had probably had a faulty capacitor since new (the original owner lied to me and I made the mistake of thinking it just needed new valves). The unauthorised engineer attempted to replace the capacitor but ended up damaging the main PCB with CU tracks pulled from the fibre-glass.

Now to the good stuff. I have had a chance to play with this amp and here are my observations - Channel 1 is superb! Great clean and rock sounds abound. Channel 2 is my favourite in the normal power amp mode. But here is the interesting part switch the power amp voicing to extreme and channels 2 and 3 really opened up. I got some truly amazing low end grind with channel 3 in this mode. I havent had the chance to play it through an extension cab but I would imagine its awesome.

Anyway, thank you Myles for your advice and support in the past. Truly appreciated!

Best, Mike.

Mike,

You are quite welcome.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles,

I unfeatured the April Sales...thread to make way for the May one, but the April thread seems to be GONE! Where could it have gone?

Reif

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Hey Myles,

I unfeatured the April Sales...thread to make way for the May one, but the April thread seems to be GONE! Where could it have gone?

Reif

I do not know.... maybe it dropped all the way back to when it was last posted if the sticky had not been there.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Jim,

I see you are in Chicago. I have to hook you up with a fellow there named Terry Guder. Great player ... lots of stuff. He comes out here to L.A. a lot and I send him back home with a "care package". Next time he is out here (he will be here for the Amp Show) I will give him a little package for you.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

I just scored a used Peavey Classic 30 in great shape but sorely lacking in the tube dept. (the originals) I've ordered a GT-EL84S quartet for the power section and I have some 12AX7's here and was wondering where I should install these in V1, V2 & V3.

I have these tubes available:

1 - GT12AX7C

1 - GT-7025

1 - GTECC83S

2 - JJ-ECC83S

Could you suggest the best positioning using these preamp tubes?

Thanks in advance for your sage advice,

David

Originally posted by hechtdavid:

Hi Myles,

I just scored a used Peavey Classic 30 in great shape but sorely lacking in the tube dept. (the originals) I've ordered a GT-EL84S quartet for the power section and I have some 12AX7's here and was wondering where I should install these in V1, V2 & V3.

I have these tubes available:

1 - GT12AX7C

1 - GT-7025

1 - GTECC83S

2 - JJ-ECC83S

Could you suggest the best positioning using these preamp tubes?

Thanks in advance for your sage advice,

David

It is really personal taste but if it was my amp and I wanted more of a Brit flair I'd use the ECC83S's in V1 and V2 and the long plate 7025 in V3.

On the EL84S get a 5 or 6 rating only.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles- alot of great info here...thanks

I have a Laney AOR 50 series II with a cascading preamp lineup...

it's a very high gain amp with tons of crunch...how could I get a smoother, creamier tone without sacrificing crunch?...I know most of it is coming from the preamp, Is there a tube line-up that will get that tone?

Originally posted by shooto:

Hi Myles- alot of great info here...thanks

I have a Laney AOR 50 series II with a cascading preamp lineup...

it's a very high gain amp with tons of crunch...how could I get a smoother, creamier tone without sacrificing crunch?...I know most of it is coming from the preamp, Is there a tube line-up that will get that tone?

For a start, try a 5751 in V1. If you like what that does and want to go even more in that direction try a 12AY7.

That is a fast and easy start and if that does not get you where you want to go then you need to consider an additional amp in your lineup.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles....

Kind of a complex question here but...I play a Strat through a '73 Pro Reverb, I use a number of stomp boxes including a Line 6 DL4 delay modeler, Vox wah, ts-808, MXR Super Comp, Boss Od-3 Overdrive, and a Tu-2 tuner pedal. Now here's where it gets complex. I recently added an Ibanez UE 400 Circa @ 1978 that has Comp, Overdrive, Phaser, and Chorus, the Phaser and Chorus are really sweet! Basically, I run the strat into that first, then I run that into an Intersound IVP pre-amp that has a parametric eq onboard. I run the effects loop out of there into my pedal board, and then run the main out of the IVP into my Pro-Reverb. I'm having trouble really dialing in the pre-amp and gettin a good clean sound out of the amp, I'm also getting a lot of hum when the amp goes up around 5 or 6 which is about stage volume and its consequently getting lost in the mix. At lower volumes the thing sounds great and the pre-amp seems to add a lot of texture to the tone and helps shape the overall sound. I'm wondering what I need to do as far as the parametric eq goes as well as getting more power out of the amp...or is the pre-amp just redundant? Again, I think it flavors the tone and don't nessessarily want to lose it. Or is it more of a problem with the Pro and maybe I should be playing through a blackface twin?

Thanks much,

Nate

www.alabasterbrown.com

www.myspace.com/alabasterbrown

Originally posted by slateball:

Hey Myles....

Kind of a complex question here but...I play a Strat through a '73 Pro Reverb, I use a number of stomp boxes including a Line 6 DL4 delay modeler, Vox wah, ts-808, MXR Super Comp, Boss Od-3 Overdrive, and a Tu-2 tuner pedal. Now here's where it gets complex. I recently added an Ibanez UE 400 Circa @ 1978 that has Comp, Overdrive, Phaser, and Chorus, the Phaser and Chorus are really sweet! Basically, I run the strat into that first, then I run that into an Intersound IVP pre-amp that has a parametric eq onboard. I run the effects loop out of there into my pedal board, and then run the main out of the IVP into my Pro-Reverb. I'm having trouble really dialing in the pre-amp and gettin a good clean sound out of the amp, I'm also getting a lot of hum when the amp goes up around 5 or 6 which is about stage volume and its consequently getting lost in the mix. At lower volumes the thing sounds great and the pre-amp seems to add a lot of texture to the tone and helps shape the overall sound. I'm wondering what I need to do as far as the parametric eq goes as well as getting more power out of the amp...or is the pre-amp just redundant? Again, I think it flavors the tone and don't nessessarily want to lose it. Or is it more of a problem with the Pro and maybe I should be playing through a blackface twin?

Thanks much,

Nate

www.alabasterbrown.com

www.myspace.com/alabasterbrown

Your Pro and a BF Twin have essentially the same front end. You are going to have to play with the order and levels of your effects chain.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by ellwood:

Myles, why would my normal channel have more volume available than my Vibrato channel on my 1962 Fender Pro Amp? the Vibrato channel has pleanty of volume but just wonder why there would be a difference? Thanks....LEE

Two reasons....

1. V1 has about 10 more plate volts than V2 by design. You also do not have the loss of the vibrato circuitry.

2. Your V2 tube is also possibly much weaker than V1. If this is not the case the levels are much more similar. This is resolved by the GT FHG and FST kits.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles, My tube amp (point to point) is making this low end "stomach growling" sound. It's weird, because the notes will sound fine but, there is this bassy growling sound in the background even when you stop playing, too. I hit the standby and it stops. The thing that's weird is that it is intermittent and doesn't happen all of the time.

TIA,

Geoff J

Originally posted by yZeCounsel:

Myles, My tube amp (point to point) is making this low end "stomach growling" sound. It's weird, because the notes will sound fine but, there is this bassy growling sound in the background even when you stop playing, too. I hit the standby and it stops. The thing that's weird is that it is intermittent and doesn't happen all of the time.

TIA,

Geoff J

For a start, replace the tubes one and a time for the preamp tubes and if that is not the issue, replace the output set.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by myles111:

Download my 200+ page tube primer and you will pick up quite a bit.

Myles,

Could you provide a link on this please? I've been looking through the sites you have in your signature but don't see anything like this. Thanks.

Thanks for the great stuff you provided. It'll take me awhile to figure this all out but it is helping me out.

If anything, I think I fully understand the major difference between an amp that's 50W and one that's 100W.

Originally posted by rsf1977:

hey Myles i was wondering what you thought of a VHT Deliverance paired with a Dual Rectifier or maybe a VHT CL any thoughts. I haven't heard to much about the Deliverance can it do Chugga Chuga metal Hardcore stuff?

This kind of choice is really personal choice.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr