Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

Myles, can you give me some feedback on the Trace Elliot speedtwin c100 amp. i am looking at one of the pregibson combos and it seems real nice. are there some pros and cons you can share with me?

Guitarzan .........

I have not been inside any of these so I can not really say anything.

Sorry.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Myles,

I don't think i ever thanked you for your recommendations and advice for cleaning scratchy potentiometers on my amp (last uhhh.. summer?). I did as you advised and it worked like a charm! :thu:

If you're ever in the SE Wisconsin area, dinner and suds are on me :D

-jared

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by myles111:

Myles, can you give me some feedback on the Trace Elliot speedtwin c100 amp. i am looking at one of the pregibson combos and it seems real nice. are there some pros and cons you can share with me?

Guitarzan .........

Sorry.

thanks anyhow Myles.

Question number one:

Do you think you could scrape up the proper schematics (and maybe even a layout diagram, etc.) for my discontinued Carvin Vintage 33 amp? The closest I've been able to get- and this was right from Carvin- was their schematic and manual for the similar 112 Nomad. Obviously, if one is nominally rated at 33-watts, and the other 50-watts, respectively, they're not 100% identical...

~And~

Question number two:

Say, Myles...

...wadya think of this type of an "attenuator" set-up? In general, and as opposed to other "commercially available units"?

"...1 resistor in series and 1 in parallel to maintain the proper impedance load to your amp. The difference is that instead of multiple sets of switchable high power resistors, and other circuitry, cooling fan, etc., all of which necessitate a fancy metal housing, this unit uses 2 variable wirewound high power resistance elements - similar to a rheostat. It is mounted on a simple bracket, and open-air ventilation in the back of your open-back amp is sufficient for cooling."
_______________________ http://i14.ebayimg.com/03/i/01/b6/99/9e_2.JPG

Thanks again, Myles!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hello Myles

I have a old Fender Bassman 20 combo http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/ (18 watts and 15" speaker) that is made for playing bass, but i use it for guitar. It sounds so good, but i have problems getting it to break up and overdrive... it stays clean all the way up to 10.

details:

2 preamp tubes named 7025,

2 output tubes named 6V6 GTA,

1 weird metalthing next to the the 6V6´s called Mallory? i dont know if that is a tube.

ampwares site says that it has fixed bias.

Should i change all or just the preamp tubes to get natural overdrive?

Presently i use a tubescreamer but i would like to get natural tube overdrive.

Can you recommend any specific tubes for this amp? do i need to rebias it, or can i just put new tubes in it? i play Texas blues ala Stevie ray vaughan.

i would prefer to do it myself, since repairwork is expensive here (i live in Denmark).

Best regards from

Michael

playing the blues

Originally posted by phaeton:

Myles,

I don't think i ever thanked you for your recommendations and advice for cleaning scratchy potentiometers on my amp (last uhhh.. summer?). I did as you advised and it worked like a charm! :thu:

If you're ever in the SE Wisconsin area, dinner and suds are on me :D

-jared

phaeton........

You are more than welcome and thanks for the dinner offer.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Guitarzan .........

Sorry.

thanks anyhow Myles.
Sorry I could not help on this one.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Question number one:

Do you think you could scrape up the proper schematics (and maybe even a layout diagram, etc.) for my discontinued Carvin Vintage 33 amp? The closest I've been able to get- and this was right from Carvin- was their schematic and manual for the similar 112 Nomad. Obviously, if one is nominally rated at 33-watts, and the other 50-watts, respectively, they're not 100% identical...

~And~

Question number two:

Say, Myles...

...wadya think of this type of an "attenuator" set-up? In general, and as opposed to other "commercially available units"?

"...1 resistor in series and 1 in parallel to maintain the proper impedance load to your amp. The difference is that instead of multiple sets of switchable high power resistors, and other circuitry, cooling fan, etc., all of which necessitate a fancy metal housing, this unit uses 2 variable wirewound high power resistance elements - similar to a rheostat. It is mounted on a simple bracket, and open-air ventilation in the back of your open-back amp is sufficient for cooling."
_______________________ http://i14.ebayimg.com/03/i/01/b6/99/9e_2.JPG

Thanks again, Myles!

Caevan O'Shite .......

I prefer attenuators that can be used on multiple amps. I like to personally keep amp's innards as clean as possible.

On the Carvin, I am looking for prints.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Lund:

Hello Myles

I have a old Fender Bassman 20 combo http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/ (18 watts and 15" speaker) that is made for playing bass, but i use it for guitar. It sounds so good, but i have problems getting it to break up and overdrive... it stays clean all the way up to 10.

details:

1 weird metalthing next to the the 6V6´s called Mallory? i dont know if that is a tube.

Can you recommend any specific tubes for this amp? do i need to rebias it, or can i just put new tubes in it? i play Texas blues ala Stevie ray vaughan.

i would prefer to do it myself, since repairwork is expensive here (i live in Denmark).

Best regards from

Michael

Lund...

First try an ECC83S in V1 for the first gain stage.

For the 6V6, try a #1-3 rating of:

http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1743

The "metal thing" is a filter capacitor.

If this does not get you close enough you will need to look into a different amp as this amp was designed to stay clean for bass.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Thank you, Myles!

You're O.K., I don't care what Mr. Rogers said about you!

(It was all Captain Kangaroo's and Big Bird's fault, anyways... ) ;):D

Originally posted by Lund:

Hello Myles

details:

Best regards from

Michael

Lund...

First try an ECC83S in V1 for the first gain stage.

For the 6V6, try a #1-3 rating of:

http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1743

The "metal thing" is a filter capacitor.

If this does not get you close enough you will need to look into a different amp as this amp was designed to stay clean for bass.

Thanks for the fast reply Myles!

I will try what you said.

This means that i dont need thinking about rebias?

The rating you mentioned... 1-3 what does that mean? is that like the most sensitive tube (overdriven very easily) or what?

When you say V1 is that the preamp tube furthest away from the powertubes... sorry i am a novice here.

I presume that what you suggest is that i start with this, and keep my V2 preamptube stock+ Is the main difference in the overdrive in this area, or shold i go for the entire switch?

Your link shows a GT-6V6-R Single... what is the difference between this and a 6V6 GTA? am i safe with ANY 6V6 tube?

I presume that i should buy a matched pair? (since my amp has 2 of these tubes).

In my country i can get these: Groove Tubes GT-6V6R Duet (Matchet pair)

I found the EC883S tube at watford valves, so i will probably order that there.

regards

Michael

playing the blues

Hi Myles! Just wondering if you could point me towards a good mic for my amp and perhaps occassional vocals? I've been looking at the AKG C 3000... http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/d2/shop_image/product/6aba0e7b27c498bf8dea226b1dd85cbb.jpg

It's £150 with cable and boom, which is around $300 at the current exchange rate. Could I perhaps get a better deal on a mic in the States? If so, what would you recommend?

I currently own an AKG SM58 "clone" and I'm thinking of a condenser mic to use along with the "SM58" to allow me to try and better my recorded tone. Thanks for listening! I appreciate your advice.

Tea. :thu:

Originally posted by Teahead:

Hi Myles! Just wondering if you could point me towards a good mic for my amp and perhaps occassional vocals? I've been looking at the AKG C 3000... http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/d2/shop_image/product/6aba0e7b27c498bf8dea226b1dd85cbb.jpg

It's £150 with cable and boom, which is around $300 at the current exchange rate. Could I perhaps get a better deal on a mic in the States? If so, what would you recommend?

I currently own an AKG SM58 "clone" and I'm thinking of a condenser mic to use along with the "SM58" to allow me to try and better my recorded tone. Thanks for listening! I appreciate your advice.

Tea. :thu:

Tea,

Choosing mics is even more difficult than picking amps and guitars!

Start by downloading this book:

http://www.groovetubes.com/assets/1595_Record_Now_Mic.pdf

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles :wave: Gotta question... Tonight I'm leaving to spend the weekend in Pensacola with some friends. The purpose of this pilgrimage is to go shopping. I'm buying my first electric guitar and amp. :D I've been doing some research and getting some opinions from the other forumites and I have some ideas of what I'm looking for, now I think it's just going to be a matter of trying them out and seeing what works for me. I don't know much about amps at all except for the kind of tone I'm looking for and the brands and models i should check out. I know I want a tube amp and I know that most of the models I'd be interested in are out of my price range (new), so I want to try to find a good used amp. I was hoping you could give me some advice on what to look/look out for when shopping for used amps. :confused: Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. :D

Originally posted by Shannon:

Hey Myles :wave: Gotta question... Tonight I'm leaving to spend the weekend in Pensacola with some friends. The purpose of this pilgrimage is to go shopping. I'm buying my first electric guitar and amp. :D I've been doing some research and getting some opinions from the other forumites and I have some ideas of what I'm looking for, now I think it's just going to be a matter of trying them out and seeing what works for me. I don't know much about amps at all except for the kind of tone I'm looking for and the brands and models i should check out. I know I want a tube amp and I know that most of the models I'd be interested in are out of my price range (new), so I want to try to find a good used amp. I was hoping you could give me some advice on what to look/look out for when shopping for used amps. :confused: Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. :D

If I can butt in here...

Look for an amp that's dead quiet when it's on and you're not plugged in. Noise is a symptom of dead or dying tubes, capacitors, and resistors. Also, look for an amp with easily replacable tubes, like 5Y3, GZ34, 5U4, 6L6, 5881, EL-34, 6V6, EL-84, 12AX7, 12AU7, 12AT7, or 6SL7. Avoid amps with odd-ball tubes unless you're willing to take up the search for obscure tubes when the ones in the amp finally give up the ghost. Gibson, Fender, Magnatone, Silvertone, Marshall, Ampeg, Supro, National, and Harmony all made decent amps. Maybe you'll find a deal on a great old amp from the 60's. :thu:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Choosing mics is even more difficult than picking amps and guitars!

Start by downloading this book:

http://www.groovetubes.com/assets/1595_Record_Now_Mic.pdf

Thanks Myles! I have it downed. I understand your reluctance to recommend something that comes down to personal tasete. Thanks for the pdf.

Tea.

Myles,

Is it possible that amps sound better when using a grounded receptacle vs. non-grounded? I have a an older house that had non-grounded outlets in my music room. I finally put in a dedicated, grounded 20-amp circut and I swear my amps sound better. Am I just imagining things to justify spending the $$$ for an electrician, or is there an actual phenomenon that explains this?

Myles:

I haven't seen much (any?) info on these Smicz Amplification TADs devices -- 6AK6 tube adaptors that claim to lower output by a 10:1 ratio (50 watt amp goes to 5 watt) without damage. These would seem to be a reasonable alternative to lugging around an attenuator, or for multiple amps.

Do you have any experience with these things?

Thanks, as always.

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

Shannon,

There are so many great tube amps that are used and nicely priced that I would not know where to begin. I would just start hitting the stores and ebay, look around, keep asking questions, but most of all, try some out.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by bluestrat:

If I can butt in here...

Look for an amp that's dead quiet when it's on and you're not plugged in. Noise is a symptom of dead or dying tubes, capacitors, and resistors. Also, look for an amp with easily replacable tubes, like 5Y3, GZ34, 5U4, 6L6, 5881, EL-34, 6V6, EL-84, 12AX7, 12AU7, 12AT7, or 6SL7. Avoid amps with odd-ball tubes unless you're willing to take up the search for obscure tubes when the ones in the amp finally give up the ghost. Gibson, Fender, Magnatone, Silvertone, Marshall, Ampeg, Supro, National, and Harmony all made decent amps. Maybe you'll find a deal on a great old amp from the 60's. :thu:

bluestrat........

Super advice ... thanks.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by WaterMan:

Myles,

Is it possible that amps sound better when using a grounded receptacle vs. non-grounded? I have a an older house that had non-grounded outlets in my music room. I finally put in a dedicated, grounded 20-amp circut and I swear my amps sound better. Am I just imagining things to justify spending the $$$ for an electrician, or is there an actual phenomenon that explains this?

The amp will not sound better or worse, it may be less noisy with a ground, but this is not always the case. In fact, it can pick up noise with a ground more easily in some cases. Many folks actually use "ground lifts", those three prong to two prong adaptors, to get rid of the ground and some ground loop noise problems.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by daddyelmis:

Myles:

I haven't seen much (any?) info on these Smicz Amplification TADs devices -- 6AK6 tube adaptors that claim to lower output by a 10:1 ratio (50 watt amp goes to 5 watt) without damage. These would seem to be a reasonable alternative to lugging around an attenuator, or for multiple amps.

Do you have any experience with these things?

Thanks, as always.

These things work pretty darn well and lots of folks love them.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by WaterMan:

Myles,

The amp will not sound better or worse, it may be less noisy with a ground, but this is not always the case. In fact, it can pick up noise with a ground more easily in some cases. Many folks actually use "ground lifts", those three prong to two prong adaptors, to get rid of the ground and some ground loop noise problems.
Thanks, Myles. Maybe it's the dedicated circut, but so far it does seem less noisy.

Hi Myles,

I am in the process of restoring an old Lowrey Holiday organ from the early 60s that uses 7591 tubes. These tubes are rare and expensive. I've heard bad things about the new Sovtek 7591 tubes (plus they won't fit without poking through the back panel).

THD makes a set of conversion Yellowjackets but they will cause the EL-84s to stick WAY out the back panel. And they cost $$.

I have received a lot of mixed messages regarding whether I can sub 6L6 tubes if I rewire the sockets (easy to do on this unit). Can the 6L6s handle the voltage? Looking at the specs, it looks like KT66s are closer. Can I rewire and use 6V6s?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gabriel

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

Hi Myles,

I am in the process of restoring an old Lowrey Holiday organ from the early 60s that uses 7591 tubes. These tubes are rare and expensive. I've heard bad things about the new Sovtek 7591 tubes (plus they won't fit without poking through the back panel).

THD makes a set of conversion Yellowjackets but they will cause the EL-84s to stick WAY out the back panel. And they cost $$.

I have received a lot of mixed messages regarding whether I can sub 6L6 tubes if I rewire the sockets (easy to do on this unit). Can the 6L6s handle the voltage? Looking at the specs, it looks like KT66s are closer. Can I rewire and use 6V6s?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gabriel

Gabriel,

The conversion to 6L6's is pretty easy and the 6L6GEs or 6L6S tubes will easily handle the voltages.

We have had great results with the 7591 too by the way.

The 6L6's will give you more power though as the 7591 is sort of midway in output between a 6V6 and 6L6. The voltage max of a 6V6 is too low for a 7591 application circuit.

The 6L6's are also less pricy than the 7591s.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey, Myles-

I'm afraid I may have pestered you unnecessarily; it turns out, there must have been two schematics folded up in my package, I also have a schematic page marked "Vintage 33/3rd production of 1C/Rev C-1CB/9-26-94". I swear I didn't see it there before! Weird.

I'll have to open up the chassis, I guess, and compare to see if it's a match (mine is from whenever they still shipped with stitched-leather handles, before the change to the steel-strap 'n' plastic, anyways). I don't see any additional markings or indicators on the outside, other than the model name and serial number (148140).

Thanks! Sorry if I wasted your time!

Originally posted by ''Hot'' Caevan O'Shite:

Hey, Myles-

I'm afraid I may have pestered you unnecessarily; it turns out, there must have been two schematics folded up in my package, I also have a schematic page marked "Vintage 33/3rd production of 1C/Rev C-1CB/9-26-94". I swear I didn't see it there before! Weird.

I'll have to open up the chassis, I guess, and compare to see if it's a match (mine is from whenever they still shipped with stitched-leather handles, before the change to the steel-strap 'n' plastic, anyways). I don't see any additional markings or indicators on the outside, other than the model name and serial number (148140).

Thanks! Sorry if I wasted your time!

''Hot'' Caevan O'Shite ....

Don't fret .... you did not pester me at all and if you do that is fine too!

You answer a lot of questions for folks here and have saved me many hours over any time I have spent trying to help you.

Thank you.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr