Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

guitar amp choice ?????

zen0

hello,

First of all : all the best 4 2002 !!

My question :

I'm playing a Yamaha Pacifica & Ibanez ST55 and planning to purchase a new amp in the near future. Until now i used a line 6 pod but don't really get the sounds I'm looking 4 (rammstein,limbbizkit,pantera,...really good heavy (scooped)sound).

I was considering a (combo)marshall avt 50, peavey bandit or something in the same price range.(+ - $500)

Any suggestions anyone ?

thanks !

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd check out a Marshall AVT...BTW...go over to the main "Musicplayer.com" page...go to the lessons section...there's a nice little online demo of Marshall AVTs there. You might have to dig a bit...I'll see if I can find it...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

For 500.00 I'd look into a used Mesa/Boogie amp.

The great thing about the Boogies is most of the problems they may have (which are few) can be solved by replacing the tubes. And you will be able to get the 'white-noise' sounds mentioned above.

In two days, it won't matter.

I agree with Tedster. In your price range, you would be very well advised to check out the Marshall AVT50 combo, especially if you want to hit the stage as well as practice with it.

I just picked up Marshall's little 20 watter in the AVT series, primarily for use in my small home studio. I am very pleased with the range of sound, and I'd even consider gigging a small room with it (although that wasn't my intention when I bought it). It's that loud.

The 50 watter has the advantage of two independent footswitchable channels (clean & overdrive), so for a regular stage amp, that'd be the one to choose.

You'll find plenty of scooped hi-gain, and will also have a nice palette of other tones at your fingertips, too.

Best of luck to you.

Hey, Tedster...think we could get any kickback goodies from the folks at Marshall for all these testimonials?

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Arjay ]

I tried out an AVT 50-watt head and it SUCKED! Small buzzy distortion sound. For $500, you can get a used Peavy 5150 which will give you that heavy low end. Dimebag uses a Randall and those are also fairly inexpensive. Not real versatile but if you only want heavy, they do it well. Reliable too.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Before you get rid of your POD, try playing with some "custom" designed sounds by other players. My favorite POD tone sculptor is AndyZ who heads up the LA Line6 Users Group. He freely gives us some of the patches he designed for others.

For "Heavy" sounds the library he created for shredder Bobby Ferrara are at least the best sounding heavy tones I found for my POD. If you're going to like the POD at all for heavy tones, these are the sounds you should try.

http://listen.to/andyz

Then go to patches, then pick the ferrara set.

Download and install using SoundDiver or PatchWizard.

I also like some of his ideas for the Eric Johnson set and his own, "what's in AndyZ's Pod set". All good stuff.

Another idea, even if you get a new amp is to keep the POD and mix your live rig with POD sounds. This can be very sweet and takes the best advantage of the POD sounds while still giving you the sound of your true amp.

BTW, I've also demo'd the AVT series amps and came away less than impressed. I really like my Fender HR Deluxe, in the US they are in your price range. Depending on the pedals I use I can go from glassy clean to beautiful overdrive, to raging chuncky metal sounds. Tubes, you still can't beat them.

Have fun trying them all out.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

I tried out an AVT 50-watt head and it SUCKED! Small buzzy distortion sound. For $500, you can get a used Peavy 5150 which will give you that heavy low end. Dimebag uses a Randall and those are also fairly inexpensive. Not real versatile but if you only want heavy, they do it well. Reliable too.

Thanks, Gabriel...some insight..to tell you the truth, I've never tried an AVT. I have a regular tube Marshall combo

HEYYY, but I DID try a Gibson 30 watt Goldtone today...used one of those three pickup Nashville Teles with it...sounded pretty sweet!

Haaaeeey, Tedrocker, what did the Gibson Goldtone sound like? I haven't had the opportunity to check that out yet. It sure looks sharp and innovative in their ads and onstage with Aerosmith recently. Can you describe it for me? Pleeeez?

Well, Timrocker, it had a sooo--weeeet tone...like I said, I used it with a Nashville Tele (I think they're a Mexican three pickup Tele). I only tried one setting, the Mrs. Debster was sitting there looking at me tapping her foot impatiently.

I had it set on just a light bluesy distortion...the response was unbelievable. But, then, I didn't crank it up to hear how it sounded. I want one for my amp farm.

Funny thing, 'cause one of the BEST amps I've ever played through was an old Gibson Skylark...an old tweed thing. It kinda hummed a bit, but boy did it sound great.

Then, while I was playing, one of the guys that worked there was demo'ing a guitar to another guy. This guy had chops like Pat Martino. Turned my head, and then I said "What's the point..."....ah well.

Originally posted by Tedster:

OOoohh yeah, Carvin...forgot...stupid me. I've got a catalog right here. They'll sendja a free catalog. A lot of their stuff is swell!

I'm buying a Nomad (50 watt, 1x12, 4 EL84s, 5 12AX7, tweed) I played it a couple times and I LOVE it. I'm getting it as soon as I get my next paycheck. :D I'm SO EXCITED!!!

Originally posted by Dylan Walters:

The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is right around $535 and is all tube and very nice sounding. You can pick the up used around $350-400. These babies are built like a tank and take quite a beating as well.

Also, they're distortion is thin and brittle, it doesn't have NEAR enough gain for pantera or rammstien and it's strong point is it's clean channel which it doesn't sound like he'll be using.

While I agree that the Hot Rod series amps are great, (I LOVE them clean) they're more designed for blues, jazz and lighter rock, not metal. I play blues and jazz and love the things but I can't stand they're distortion. No matter how the EQ is set the distortion isn't very good.

I've just gotten back into electric after years way from it (another story).

I got myself an AVT50 combo and am VERY pleased with it. I used to own a Marshall valve head and while I admit the years may have dulled my senses I'd find it pretty hard to pick a valve rig from this one..

If my budget had permitted (living in Australia with our dollar at US 50 cents - ugh) I would have taken a listen to the new Vox modelling combos - haven't seen any reviews on them yet but they read pretty interesting...

• 2 weeks later...
I second that (e)motion! The Gibson Goldtone amps are awesome sounding even compared to my blackface Super Reverb and 196X Harvard amp. By far the Goldtones sound awesome especially the regular Goldtone GA-30RVS that Joe Perry and Eric Johnson have used.

The Reverend Hellhound is pretty versatile. You can switch the tones around to go British or American. So it's close to getting Vox and Blackface Fender in one amp.

The "Goblin" is a switchable 5/15 watter 1-10 Reverend with the same stuff due out this summer. If someone tells you 15 watts isn't enough for most stuff they're liars.

The only other amp I'm totally hip on right now is the Vibro King. It costs a lot of money.

What would Jesus buy?

I think Jesus would play an old Bassman

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: Cereal ]

hi,i've got a marshall tsl601 1x12 combo all tube 3channel amp i bought 10 month ago the sound is great for things you talk about.its got clean ,over drive ,lead,i'am going to fender & want to sell this its never left my home i'm still practicing low use i payed 1200.00 list for 1600.00 but i'll do some dealing.if you or anyone is interested e-mail me kevinp@xprs.net its 60 watts thanks

hi,i've got a marshall tsl601 1x12 combo all tube 3channel amp i bought 10 month ago the sound is great for things you talk about.its got clean ,over drive ,lead,i'am going to fender & want to sell this its never left my home i'm still practicing low use i payed 1200.00 list for 1600.00 but i'll do some dealing.if you or anyone is interested e-mail me kevinp@xprs.net its 60 watts thanks

Originally posted by Cereal:

I think Jesus would play an old Bassman

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: Cereal ]

Lee might argue he would play a set of Ludwigs...... :)

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by strat0124:

Lee might argue he would play a set of Ludwigs...... :)

Gretsches, actually. :D

But if Jesus really were a guitar player I would have to agree about the AC30 - either that or an Ampeg VT-40 like mine. :D

--Lee

Archived