Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The BEST guitar effects and why???

MPhipps

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't vouch for what is the best...just what I personally use...

Ibanez Tube Screamer

Danelectro Chorus

Boss Tremelo

Tha-ba tha-ba That's all, folks...

Oh yeah. I need a Cry Baby. I've never been much of an effects guy...and effects are dependant upon what you want to do with them. A thrash dude will want something different than a jazz or blues dude...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I like best just a good class a amp and no effects, other than onboard reverb & overdrive, but for gigging I usually take with me a Boss chorus pedal(the old light blue analog model) and an old Boss analog delay pedal. The older ones seem to have a fatter sound, albeit a tad noiser.
In two days, it won't matter.

I`m still experimenting...I recently saw some boxes from a group called Human Gear-anybody heard of em?

Effects are fun, but most people turn em up too high-I like them to be just there in the mix, but still have the original tone. Here in Japan I`m using a zoom 505-serves okay for now. stateside i have an ART rackmount-lotsa cool sounds.

Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

John Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive.

Off Topic....

Chip, I hit your website the other day, I love your music & you are the master of the geetar. I was suprised you were able to play songs right from the start, what's your secret?

In two days, it won't matter.

My old '70s gigantic orange AC-powered DOD flanger. It's got the SLOWEST sweep ever and the DEEPEST flange imaginable. It just barely edges out my '70's MXR "Van Halen" flanger and my E.H. Electric Mistress. I must love flangers cuz I just went downstairs and counted 10 of 'em spead around on the floor...
None more black.

I'm liking My Voodoo Lab Tremolo pedal and my ZVEX Super Hard-On pedal right now. The tremolo sounds a lot like the trem from a vintage Fender and the Super Hard-On just makes everything sound better. Both have true bypass switching.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Had pedals...lots of them. But there was always problem with changing the batteries and finding power cord on stage. So I switched to multi FX unit. Because I loved Boss pedals I bought Boss Fx-700. I made my own settings and patch it in fx loops. It can be arguable if the sound of stomp box is better than multi FX unit... It worked fine for me in combination with half stack Marshall and now with Flextone II.
If it sounds god, just play the darn thing

Originally posted by Hippie:

Off Topic....

Chip, I hit your website the other day, I love your music & you are the master of the geetar. I was suprised you were able to play songs right from the start, what's your secret?

Love music.

I don't know, I still don't really have an explanation.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Originally posted by coren5555:

heh the big muff's pretty cool to

nothing beats throwing one of those into the middle of an expensive rig :D

sorry for the threadjack, but can anybody point me to a resource for Big Muff info? I wanna get one, but I wanna know the differences between all the iterations. thx!

None more black.

Hi...

My favorite effect is a cable.

It effectively connects my guitar to my amp.

If I can't do it with my Les Paul or my SG and my Marshall, I don't think I wanna do it. Hey, if it's good enough for Angus Young, it's good enough for me.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I'd find it hard to have the strength to continue living without a delay of some kind. Right now, I'm extra-digging the big green Line 6 delay modeller.

As for other effects, I can get most of the flavors and textures I need from overdrive, wah, and tremelo. Everything else is just icing on the cake for me. My favorite overdrive has to be the Fulldrive II, but a modified TS-9 served me well before I got the Fulldrive.

Originally posted by Submersible:

I'd find it hard to have the strength to continue living without a delay of some kind. Right now, I'm extra-digging the big green Line 6 delay modeller.

Man, the L6 Delay Modeler is such a great and well thought out pedal. I'm thinking about getting another one just so I can dedicate one to loops...

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

The best effects are the pure accidents of sound.

A vibrato you pulled off without trying, or a glich in the amp, etc.

I love the chorus, the Electro-Harmonix Small Clone.

Then anything TubeScreamer like.

Psalm 33:3

The best instrument you have, is your heart.

Originally posted by jef5f:

The best effects are the pure accidents of sound.

A vibrato you pulled off without trying, or a glich in the amp, etc.

I love the chorus, the Electro-Harmonix Small Clone.

Then anything TubeScreamer like.

yea man

in most cases but espesially when you have your lead singer signing into an old fender acoustasonic at full volume for half a year; we blew the damn thing and havent fixed it cause it makes the raddest squeaks and pops

we recorded it and used it as ambiant noise in between songs :D

I love stomp boxes, so, for the moment I am using: z-vex super hard on, line-6 delay modeler, mini Dano tremolo, expandora (o.k. but not perfect), ts-10 (same as ts-9 without the vintage look), boss digital chorus. I miss my old Supa tone bender by colorsound (circa 70) and my t.c. chorus that got both stolen.

I love stomp boxes, so, for the moment I am using: z-vex super hard on, line-6 delay modeler, mini Dano tremolo, expandora (o.k. but not perfect), ts-10 (same as ts-9 without the vintage look), boss digital chorus. I miss my old Supa tone bender by colorsound (circa 70) and my t.c. chorus that got both stolen.

Archived