Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

12 String Electrics...

profesrgeo

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you guys like about the Rick? (Is there more than one model?) Is the purported crankiness in keeping it tuned worth it?)

My first guitar was a 12-string acoustic, believe it or not (child of the sixties... and The Byrds)... and I have considered getting an electric someday.

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Well, back in the day, there were two Rick 12-string models: the 360-12 (hollow body) and the 420-12 (solid body). I have one of the latter, a '65 model. The 360 is considered the creme de la creme although I love my 420 just fine, and I dare say it stays in tune better than a 360.

If you're into the Byrds you've just "gotta" have one, there is no other electric 12-string that sounds like a Rick, although the Danelectro is pretty darned nice for $400 or whatever it is. You'd just have to compare it for yourself, no other brands sound the same. Ricks are strung differently from most others and you might get the sound closer if you replaced the nut on a different guitar and restrung it like a Rick (low string on the bottom, high string on the top instead of the other way around like other brands). Still... the pickups won't be the same either.

As for keeping them in tune, well, no 12-string is going to be as easy to keep in tune as a 6-string, but it's like anything else, you get used to it and if it's set up well and you wind the strings properly, it's not too big a problem. As I mentioned, mine really doesn't go out of tune badly. In fact at our last gig I hauled it to the club and took it out and it was still perfectly in tune - and I hadn't even retuned it after our last rehearsal a few days earlier.

--Lee

Originally posted by LiveMusic:

What do you guys like about the Rick? (Is there more than one model?)

What's not to like about a Rick? Classic sound, timeless styling.

I'm no Rick historian, but there's basically 3 body shapes, the 325 (like Lennon), the 330/360 (like Harrison and McGuinn, 330 is basic, 360 is deluxe) and the 620 (like Tom Petty/Damn the Torpedos). I've always wanted a Mapleglo 360-12.

Here in Rochester, there's an outstanding, very authentic, 60's flavored band called The Chesterfield Kings. The guitarist owns a very rare 6 string Rick with a 330 body and translucent plastic top. Inside - a color organ with lights triggered by the audio signal. Way cool.

This message has been edited by mzeger on 10-02-2001 at 01:26 PM

Carvin makes several versions of 12 string electrics.

They range from the 12 string version of the AE-185, which is an Acoustic Electric semi hollow hybrid with an acoustic type bridge and a couple of humbuckers, to a solid body 12 string based on the DC-200 I think.

Both are pretty reasonably priced, (if you ignore the flamed maple top options), and play great with the same neck through designs as their 6 string cousins.

I found the AE-185 12 to be a little neck heavy, (because the body is so light weight), but not so much that I wouldn't suggest it. I really like the electric / acoustic vibe, especially blending the two sound sources.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Originally posted by LiveMusic:

What do you guys like about the Rick? (Is there more than one model?) Is the purported crankiness in keeping it tuned worth it?)

The sound can't be beat, and the tuning is no real problem with my 360V64/12. I also have a Vox Phanthom 12 string that stays in tune very well, especially to be 35 years old, and a new Mando (mini 12 that looks like a painters palette-19 frets) that stays in tune as well as any 6 string. The sounds are similar of both guitars, but the Rick is just soooo sweet. Plugged into an AC30 it's like angels singing.

One thing to keep in mind with Rickenbacker 12-strings is that the necks tend to be no wider than the 6-stringers of the same model, which can make the 300-series 12-strings very difficult to play for those with large fingers (I have skinny little violinist's fingers, so my 360/12 plays very comfortably). I believe that the 620/12 and/or 660/12 have wider necks that will be more comfortable for those with normal fingers. Play before you buy!

There aren't too many new options for 12-strings (in addition to Danelectro, Ric and Carvin, I believe Hamer has a 12-string in the latest MF catalog), but since they were so popular in the 60's, there are lots of weird old semi-hollow or solid-body 12-string electrics out there. For a while, I was playing a Kapa Continental, which was quite nice (blew away new Danos). But I haven't touched it since I got the 360/12 ($700 used, which is near-obscenely inexpensive for one).

Ooh- I love all that stuff George Harrison did with the Rickenbacker 12. Always wanted one and hope to have one someday. I wouldn't settle for anything else unless it was a bargain. The Fender 12 string could be a second choice.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

One thing no one mentioned about Rickenbacker is that they are strung with the primary strings on the bass side and the octave strings on the treble side. So when you're strumming, you hit the primary notes first. On a standard 12-string, it's strung the other way, so you hit the octave strings first.

The very best 12-string electric I ever played was built by Roger Giffin. His stuff is AWESOME! Check out his website for more info - www.giffinguitars.com

Originally posted by Lisa:

One thing no one mentioned about Rickenbacker is that they are strung with the primary strings on the bass side and the octave strings on the treble side. So when you're strumming, you hit the primary notes first. On a standard 12-string, it's strung the other way, so you hit the octave strings first.

This is true. I emailed McGuinn about this, as I'd carved the nut on my 360-12 up so I could string it the other way a lo-ooong time ago. McGuinn said..."They ring longer that way"...and I said "crap, what have I done" and he replied, "Well, Tom Petty has his strung the way you do" and I felt vindicated. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Lisa:

Actually I did mention that above, but you phrased it better than I did!

--Lee

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Actually I did mention that above, but you phrased it better than I did!

--Lee

Sorry about that, Lee! I guess it was still a bit early in the morning for me when I posted! Leave it to the women to notice this kind of stuff....

It's not that the other manufacturers disagree. It's that Rickenbacker disagrees. The traditional way to string a twelve is the other way around. Rickenbacker chooses the other way...and, as I mentioned, according to McGuinn, "They ring longer that way". I don't know. I like hearing the high octave first during a downstroke, which is why I strung my Rick the traditional twelve string way. Tom Petty apparently likes his strung that way (the way I string mine) whilst McGuinn uses the Rickenbacker way.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I made a 12 string telecaster out of a Warmoth neck and Chandler tele body. There is a great bridge that I used with 6 strings coming through the body the traditional tele style and 6 on top which allows precise intonation. I don't use it regularly, but have always been really pleased with the guitar.

Do you 12 string players tune your electrics down a step?

Archived