Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do you keep an electric guitar tuned?

Imagine

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you find out, let me know...

No, seriously, a challenging subject. Many variables exist, but you can minimize your problems by keeping your strings in good shape...now, new strings go through a stretching period, where tuning sucks big time, but...

Make sure the strings are on correctly. Many folks don't know how to put a string on to minimize slippage. A way that works for me is...

Align the machine head post so the hole is parallel with the neck, other strings, etc. Put the string straight through, allowing about a hand's width of play between the string and the fretboard (for winding). Bend the protruding end of the string (right at the post) in towards the center of the headstock, under the part of the string between the nut and the post (pulling taut), and then back over, making sure it's tight. Maintain good tension on the string as you wind. As you wind the peg, you'll see the taut part of the string bite down on the loose end. This minimizes slippage. DON'T TIE THE STRING ON, whatever you do. I've had people bring their guitars to me to be restrung, and I always want to kill the people that do that, because they're a pain in the ass to get off.

After that, it'll take awhile to stretch all of the play out of the string. Bend a lot, (sort of wildly, but not enough to break the string), to force the string to go out of tune. Each time it should be less and less, until you hit kind of a spot where it more or less stays in tune.

Other considerations include machine head slippage (a new set of Grovers or Schallers will alleviate a lot of that)...whammy bar spring stuff...etc. Neck problems, too...make sure your truss rod is adjusted properly. Make sure your intonation is adjusted.

This message has been edited by Tedster on 09-28-2001 at 07:02 AM

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Get someone to show you how to wrap the strings on the tuning pegs correctly. This makes a difference. If the guitar still doesn't stay in tune it might need repair or adjustment. All this assumes that it is a functional instrument. Guitars with vibrato arms are a whole other can of worms. They really need to be set up by someone who has experience with them. Often the nut slots need to be cut for the specific string gauge for instance.

Here's a good setup list for a Strat. It tells you how to wrap the strings on several types of tuners.

http://www.fender.com//customshop/stratsetup.html

This message has been edited by gtrmac@hotmail.com on 09-28-2001 at 07:08 AM

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

The last time I check Grover tuners they had got really cheap. Schallers will really help staying in tune (just love most metal stuff made in Germany).

And yes, putting strings on properly makes a huge difference. It's like tying a swivel on a fishing line, you just gotta make sure the string is wound on top of itself and can't slip.

Wangy bars are a drag for tuning. If you've got a cheapo like a standard strat trem, you're best off just hammering wood in there to immobilize the bridge.

Originally posted by Tedster:

...Make sure the strings are on correctly. Many folks don't know how to put a string on to minimize slippage...

...After that, it'll take awhile to stretch all of the play out of the string

...Neck problems, too...make sure your truss rod is adjusted properly. Make sure your intonation is adjusted.

Ted covered the 3 most important issues for a solidly tuned instrument. (Outside of vibrato bar issues, which can be frustrating as well.)

The first point is undeniable.

The second could use an addition. When I put new strings on, I always stretch the strings by firmly, but smoothly, pulling the string several times from bridge to nut. It usually takes 2 - 3 times through to stabilize each string. This works wonders to keep your strings in tune, and it doesn't kill the timbre of the strings. Don't pull too hard or you will break the string.

The third point is one that is lost on beginners, because they usually haven't a clue how intonation and setup works. That's ok. Let a pro set the instrument up. Make sure they understand what you want out of the instrument, though.

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Tedster:

When you find out, let me know...

Good one Ted, I totally agree. I've tried everything and used everything with the exception of locking trems...which I despise. I like Sperzels, and I have these cool locking top posts on my Martin (screw down jobbies). My older guitars really flex under the lights and/or outdoor conditions, so they really go in and out. I'm just in the habit of tuning up occasionally onstage. Get a stage tuner that cuts out the signal while tuning. Good luck.

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

it works for bass...

i read a recommendation in bass player that you tune the string and then pull it up firmly from the end of the neck. next hold the string down at the twelfth fret and pull it up firmly from between the neck and the bridge. retune the string.

have your guitar intonated, because otherwise tuning by harmonics doesn't put the instrument in tune. i prefer to tune by harmonics, at the fifth and seventh frets. for the B string, i play the 12th harmonic of the D string and the third fret of the B string. then i double check it with the fourth fret of the G string with the open B. that is the best way i've found to tune a guitar.

The big thing: make sure you don't wind the string over/on top of itself.

Also make sure there's at least few winds on the post. It doesn't matter if you have a Floyd Rose, but it's amazing how many people I run into that says "my guitar won't stay in tune" and they only have half a wrap...

.. if you really want to do it right, Ed VanHalen's trick of counter-winding the string (with plyers, from behind) really does work. Very big hassle, though.

Hmm. "I now apply for public patent of a tuner that tightens a string longitudinally without twisting the string." I'll figure the mechanics out later. Hmm. Clasping device using a cam mechanism to tug the string. Yeah...

It doesn't matter if you play super aggressive, you're still going to go out of tune. I'm *trying* to wean myself from locking systems, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Originally posted by Imagine:

I'm a keyboard player, trying to learn how to play guitar, and I'm having a difficult time keeping it in tune. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks

WITH YOUR FINGER'S,

THE FROG.

Originally posted by Imagine:

I'm a keyboard player, trying to learn how to play guitar, and I'm having a difficult time keeping it in tune. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks

Okay guys, let's let him in on the truth. Imagine, we're all guitarists and have to pull keyboardist's legs now and then.

What you want to do is get your guitar in tune and IMMEDIATELY have the tuners welded in place. That's how we all really do it.

All tuners should line up nicely. It looks great on photo.

Get some factory-tuned strings.

That should work for a keyboardplayer! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Many times the strings can "catch" in the nut. This sucks when tuning because you crank and crank and the string suddenly goes up a few pitches. I have found an old trick to help this. Use a small amount of graphite paste (I use some #2 pencil shavings and 3-in-1 oil) in the nut when restringing. Don't use a big 'ole glop of this stuff, a very small amount will do.

Of course don't leave out all the other factors that have already been mentioned. And remember that keeping a guitar in tune in an exersise in futility. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Guitars need to be tuned?

I always just play however it comes out off the stand, and make the rest of the band match ME!!! I never hear anyone complain... although at the volume I play, I can't hear much anyway! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

I agree with what every body else says about proper stringing and tuners.

The important things is that everything that is supposed to be fixed stays fixed perfectly (Tuners). Everywhere that it should slip it slips freely (thru the string tree, nut and saddles. Otherwise they'll hang up and drip back thru.

Change strings one at a time. 1st then 6th, 2nd then 5th, 3rd then 4th. Use pencil (regular #2) lead; just twirl the pencil lead in the slots in the nut and the grooves in the saddles for each string. Also in the windings of the wound strings where they will go thru the nut or over the bridge saddles. Tune strings opposite of each other ; ie. 1st strings then 6th string etc. Tune each string as you put it on up to it's pitch. After all strings are on stretch and bend strings. Don't use the whammy bar until you've played and bent on strings and it stays in tune. Watch that string trees pull down no more then necessary to keep the string from jumping out of the slot in the nut. If they do remove them or go to hardware and get very small piping to make the right height spacer with screw for the string tree. If you're using a strat make sure the trem block is adjusted to be perfectly perpendicular to the strings. Size of strings will determine the number of springs you use for the trem block. Play the hell out of it before it rusts.

Archived