Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

delete

-

My understanding is that Epiphones aren't even made by Gibson... they are made in Korea by Samick. While they may LOOK the same, they aren't even close... completely different materials, and the Epi has a bolt-on neck.

That being said... the Epi's are good guitars if you replace the pickups and tuners. (Notice I said GOOD, not GREAT.) Stick some Duncans in it, and a set of Grovers, and you've got a decent player for under $800.

As far as being "as good as a Gibson for less money"... check out the Tokai Loverock. I checked one out, and I was amazed! Gibson quality for Epi price (the one I saw was $500)!

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want a Gibson Les Paul sound you got to use a Gibson Les Paul. I live them and they have been my main guitar for years. That said I think it sucks that Gibson has overpriced them. It started in '94 when the lumber market shot up. When lumber prices settled down Gibson left theirs prices up.

Buddy

Epiphone would love you to believe their Les Paul copy is "the real thing". It's not.

What's disturbing is that Gibson apparently doesn't care.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Originally posted by trickfall@yahoo.com:

If you want a Gibson copy get a Tokai. They're miles better than the Epiphones.

they (the jap ones) are pretty pricey these days as well but good...remember SRV did a tokai endorsement! i've seen jap "love rocks" for 1000 bucks....however, check out the DILLION les pauls...hard to find (lawsuit problems i.e ibanez in the 70's) but, very nice and you can get them for 300 dollars!

-d. gauss

Originally posted by Scott from MA:

My understanding is that Epiphones aren't even made by Gibson... they are made in Korea by Samick. While they may LOOK the same, they aren't even close... completely different materials, and the Epi has a bolt-on neck.

There are a lot of Epis that don't have bolt on necks...just for the record.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I've played some nice Epiphones...played some questionable ones, too. Some of their guitars are designed to be "entry level" and some are a bit more pro. I'd use one, no problem.

I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard. Wonder where it is? I hope the bastard that stole it at least had the decency to learn to play it.

My main electric is an early 70's Hohner copy of a Les Paul custom.

I went to the local used instrument/skateboard store, and tried out a Paul in decent shape. They wanted $450 for it.

Then I tried out the Hohner with the triple binding, gold hardware, and loads of mother of pearl...really played sweet.

Sooo, I plunked down my $166, cased up the Hohner and booked. I set up the guitar to my liking, replaced the tuners and pickups with Gibson originals, and I have to say I've never played a finer electric.

Steve

The Epiphones are AUTHORIZED by the man himself, and (as Tedster said) most do not have a bolt on neck. The two main differences between Epi and Gibson are: The Gibson Finish (ofter 9 or more hand applied coats of nitrocellulose) makes up the big part of the price difference, American made makes up another big chunk. The woods in Epiphone are not the same quality, but they can play VERY well and can be great guitars. They also sound VERY similar to thier American cousins, but their pickups feedback worse. Bottom line: Good Les Pauls (not copies!), low price.

Matt

No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Neil... They might make SOME of the Epi's in Nashville (I would guess the higher-priced ones), but I was doing repairs on an Epi Les Paul a few weeks ago and it said "Made in Korea" right on it. It was a lower-end one, with a bolt-on neck, extremely weak pickups, and it sure wasn't made of mahogany!

The higher-end Epi's may be made in the USA, but my understanding is that the Korean ones are made by Samick. I'm not 100% sure, but I heard it from a pretty reliable source. Anyone know for sure?

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

I have an 8-year old Epiphone Les Paul that still plays and sounds great. The original pickups were microphonic, so I replaced them with Seymour Duncans (JB in the bridge and a 59' in the neck) and ever since then this axe has sounded fantastic! Until I do music fulltime I can't justify spending $2500 on a real Les Paul, and no one in the audience seems to care either ;-). I agree that the Mexican Strats are also nice for the cash, but the EP LP is a totally different animal all together (it's apples and oranges).

-Dylan

I don't know all the ins and outs of the companies...I'm not a historian or company profiler BUT...in my experience any Epiphone made past 1990 is pretty much a piece of shit...there are exceptions (higher priced) but if you're willing to fork out more money why not just buy the real thing?

It is true that 90% of Epiphones are made in Korea. I don't believe they are made by Samick. Many Epiphones are Set-up in the USA at the "factory". As to Epiphones being piles of dung, Epiphone is aware and they just started a new campaign to bring pride back into their guitars (starting by solving some of their quality issues). Soon Epiphone will be making better guitars again.

Matt

No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Pop,

There is a BIG difference. Aside from the aforementioned, all you have to do is go PLAY one of each. Over the years I've had many, 2 left that haven't been stolen. 1. A beautiful 1960 classic reissue with a flamed maple top to me that rivals original 58's, 59's, and 60's. This is the meat and potato's Paul I bought in 1989. 2. My beloved 1959 Heritage reissue built by the custom shop. (Purists don't read this) I'm so paranoid about it that I only take it out about every 6 months to clean it. Original EVERYTHING including, tags, STRINGS, even the shipping box. You didn't mention if you were in the market to buy, but you can find vintage Gibsons all over the place reasonably priced that smoke-As far as Epi is concerned the Casisno isn't a bad guitar at all.

To me a large part of owning a Les Paul is owning a REAL Les Paul. I've had four original Les Paul's over the years and I now own a custom shop reissue which I love. I might consider an Epi just as a guitar to take out to jams or something but I think having the real thing is worth the price.

------------------

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

My Music: www.javamusic.com/freedomland

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Yeah, definitely gotta have the real thing. The sick thing is that I paid quite a LOT less for my 1952 Les Paul, in 1984, than you could buy a new one for today. The price point definitely keeps a lot of people out of owning a real Les Paul... although you can find used, non-"vintage" ones for a reasonable price I guess.

--Lee

You all are SERIOUSLY PISSING ME OFF.

I WANT MY FUCKING PAUL BACK. RATATATATATATATAT.....BOOM...BIFFF!! SOKKK!!! BLAM BLAM...TAKE THAT, YOU MUTHAFUCKA WHAT STOLE ME PAUL!!! RATATATATATATATAT...!!! KA-BLOOEY!!!!

http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/4heat/RAMBO_II.jpg

You all are SERIOUSLY PISSING ME OFF.

I WANT MY FUCKING PAUL BACK. RATATATATATATATAT.....BOOM...BIFFF!! SOKKK!!! BLAM BLAM...TAKE THAT, YOU MUTHAFUCKA WHAT STOLE ME PAUL!!! RATATATATATATATAT...!!! KA-BLOOEY!!!!

http://thearnoldfan.com/t2/drawings/drawtitle.jpg

'Scuse me...just had to find a pic of the Terminator to get my point across...

I'll be back.

This message has been edited by Tedster on 08-03-2001 at 02:30 AM

Tedster, I feel your pain brotha. I had a '64 Vibrolux Reverb taken and also a custom made Strat and some vintage FX pedals and I'm still wishing I had that stuff. The best advice I can offer is to get another Les Paul to ease the pain.

------------------

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

My Music: www.javamusic.com/freedomland

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Let's not overlook one more difference, resale value. Buy a $1000 Epiphone, sell it in a month, and you'll be lucky to get $500. Now, Gibson, buy for 2k, sell for 2k. Simple. A quick note: Gibson had nearly fallen by the wayside before the new ownership deal. What was their idea to restore the Gibson popularity? RAISE the prices by as much as 50%! Well, it worked. Too bad, too. So Lee, that's probably the reason your 80's LP was more affordable than the 90's on.

Matt

Resell value is always better with the more expensive (and usually American made) instruments, whether it be a Strat, LP, or Tele. However, $1000 for an EP LP is very high, so I doubt that you'd have to spend this. The one's that I've seen are more in the $500-600 range.

-Dylan

I bought an Epi Les Paul a few years ago to use live. It is a decent instrument, plays well, and sounds good. I noticed a few glitches in the finish, and some of the fret edges could be improved. I think it was less than $500 new. I also have a late 68 LP Custom and a 59 LP Special at home. But why should I take these expensive instruments out to play 4 sets at the bar? As Tedster can attest - guitars can grow legs and walk away. And besides, how much critical listening is the audience doing in a crowded, loud club with a loud band onstage?

So like anything else - there are good instruments and bad. But I have been happy with the upper part of the Epi line.

- Calfee Jones

I have two Epis: an SG and a Les Paul. They are excellent guitars for the price. The neck on my SG is far more stable (read--guitar stays in tune much better) than on my actual Gibson SG I owned many years ago. There is simply no justification for the 3x price difference for a "real" current production Gibson. Sure, maybe there are some older used Gibsons that are the balls. Also, I'm a lefty, and everything lefty is more expensive than righty. I think a lot of folks just can't look themselves in the mirror without the Gibson logo on their guitars, and that sort of branding psychology is just what Gibson is counting on. You know, whatever floats your boat, but Epi makes fine instruments.

Originally posted by Calfee Jones:

...But why should I take these expensive instruments out to play 4 sets at the bar? As Tedster can attest - guitars can grow legs and walk away. And besides, how much critical listening is the audience doing in a crowded, loud club with a loud band onstage?...

Well put. Reminds me of a blurb I read about under a guitar mag picture of Craig Chaquico's (? spelling) rig on one of the Jefferson Starship tours. He had a small wall of vintage Fender Bassman amplifiers and amp cabinets. The caption went on to say they were all destroyed in a riot at a gig in Germany. Ouch! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif

Given the varying security I've seen at small and large venues, I'll take a Peavey amp or a Pod to a gig before a piece of vintage gear becomes a fading part of history! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Hey guys and gals, I have an interview over at Gibson HQ on Friday. I'll try and tactfully obtain an informed answer as to the most important differences between the Gibsons and the Epiphones.

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Though I own niether a Ept or Gibson LP or anything like that, I can certainly appreciate wanting own a fine guitar like that for say, $2000. I mean, what a great tone the LP has! It's kinda like a bunch of bees in a brown paper bag. And besides, all of my favorite players ALL played LPs: Hendrix, Stevie Ray, David Gilmore, Ritchie Blackmore ... Um, wait, reverse that. Nevermind, I think I'll just stick with my Strat. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif
I really don't know what to put here.

Archived