Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ovation - Crap?

Frunobulax

I wanted to buy an Ovation guitar for live gigs. I figured it sounded pretty sweet amplified, hung nicely from a strap, and would suit my purposes nicely. To be fair it sounds a bit thin unplugged, but that's not what I wanted it for. So, I toddled down to my local music store. The guy there told me they were the worst guitars ever made, and overpriced for a Korean guitar made of plywood and plastic. He told me they were popular in the 80's, and generally did all he could to make me feel like an idiot for even considering one.

I tried some all-wood guitars in roughly the same price range, about $600cdn (Norman, Takamine, Yamaha. I thought about it, listened some more and bought the Ovation anyway.

I really like this thing. Now I'm just wondering if this attitude is widely held or whether I just ran into an anti-Ovation bigot?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a lot of anti-Ovation bigots out there. I'll admit to not being a great fan of Ovations, but in my case mainly 'cause they roll off my lap.

But, play whatever you want! If you like 'em, play 'em! Melissa Etheridge uses one. What the hey...she could probably afford any guitar she wanted.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I dunno. I personally think they suck, and so do most players I know. Of course I can't know whether they're just saying that to appear cool. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif I know I just plain don't like 'em - and part of the reason is, like Ted said, you can't sit down and play them on your lap without them falling off. The shape just feels really weird to me. Yeah some people can get 'em to sound OK but I just don't relate to them.

But if you like it, whatever, just ignore everybody's opinion. The company is still in business so somebody must like them!

--Lee

Rolls off your lap... I can see that. But again, I bought it for performing, standing up, plugged in. I've got other guitars for sitting down.

Oh well, it's a personal thing I guess.

Dave

ps Lee - How's the part time programming/part time music thing going? I wish I could do that. I'm a design manager though, so they expect me to be in the office 5 days. Plus, my music/recording has so far produced zero revenue.

They sound thin to my ears, but so do some of the new Gibsons and Martins.....peizo pickups just don't do it for me. And the Ovation's unamplified tone is horrendous. I had a Balladeer years ago and sold it to a country singer in New Mexico.....Armando Villalobos. They're probably great guitars for singers who just strum....though Glen Campbell is sold on them, and he's no slouch on the guitar. To me for the same money to buy an acoustic-electric to play on stage, with a band, it'd be a Takamine. They seem to sound the best out of the guitars in that price range. This might start another debate altogether...like "Do tonewoods really matter in an acoustic-electric?".
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

I have an '83 Ovation Commemorative that I've thoroughly enjoyed for 18 years. It was their first super-shallow bowl design which makes it incredibly comfortable to play. Nice transparent gray-to-opaque black sunburst finish. There's a slip resistant knee pad finish so "rolling off your lap" shouldn't be an issue. I bought it at a time when Ovation was the leader in acoustic-electric guitars, a field that's now very crowded. I go for a "jangly" acoustic sound so, for my ears, Ovations have a desirably treble-heavy character. No feedback issues when amplified. The shallowness of my guitar's bowl design doesn't make it a loud acoustic guitar, but it's fine for me. The deep bowl models are plenty loud. I've long considered getting a Country Artist nylon-string for playing jazz/bossa nova.

As with Melissa Etheridge, the Ovation tone really favors their 12-strings. Her's has the Adamas-style multiple sound holes. The few Ovation's I've tried with this design have a more balanced tone.

A bonus: my 2 oldest kids have expressed interest in playing, and I worry less about them handling my Ovation than I would a wood back/sides guitar. You'll never get belt buckling or other routine nicks on an Ovation.

As with so many things in life: to each his/her own.

While they are certainly not for everybody, I wouldn't go so far as to call them crap. I happily plunked down $1200 for my Elite 1868 and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

You see, I play mine "plugged in" and that's where it really shines. I agree that without being plugged in, they sound thin...mine has no bottom end. No projection either since it has no large sound hole. It certainly can't keep up with a dreadnought or jumbo. "Plugged in" however, I haven't found a guitar that sounds much better. I get many favorable reviews of the sound and looks when I play out with it.

As far as the quality, I've not found a flaw on the guitar...except the little dent I put in the back of the neck 3 years ago...doh!

My Ovation has been wonderful to this point and I suspect it will give me many more years of satisfaction.

Originally posted by vopt:

ps Lee - How's the part time programming/part time music thing going?

Well, in theory, it would be going great. That is, if I'd stuck to the original plan I'd set for myself of programming about 25 hours a week plus doing the recording thang.

However, something unforeseen happened which has kinda turned all my plans upside down for the time being. Namely, I have a new band, which happened totally out of the blue. I am WAY excited about it because these are like my favorite musicians in town and the best I've ever worked with. However, it also means that most of my time right now is taken up with writing, practicing, rehearsing, gigging, and soon we will be recording. Again, this is a good problem to have. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif BUT... 1) I've been so taken over by the whole thing that I'm currently not even programming 25 hours a week, and 2) most of the other income sources I was pursuing, such as doing live remote recordings, studio sessions, and writing magazine articles, have totally fallen by the wayside. Yeah we've had some gigs, and those pay, but not much and not too many gigs yet since we're just getting started. And of course, I will be engineering our recordings but we won't pay ourselves for those. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Bottom line, I've been coldly reminded that I'm really a musician first and if I'm in a great band everything else falls by the wayside. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif So I'm pretty broke these days, but happy. I'm just going with it for awhile and I guess I'll get my shit together and scrounge up a little more programming, at least get up to the 25 hours a week I said I was gonna do!

--Lee

Funny that Takamine and Ovation are distributed by Kaman...

I've had a Tak EN10C and an Elite and guess which one I still have? the OVATION!!! Both guitars are superior in a live setting with a band than any other acoustic I've played or heard played live. Stay away from the Korean Celebrity line as the tops aren't solid and the finish/lacquer tends top crack. But if you're talking about an Adamas with that carbon fiber top--those things even sound good unplugged! Huge bottom end. And rugged guitars that can take a beating too...You really don't need that much notch filtering or a feedback buster with the Ovations (or for the Tak's for that matter). As for live, the Ovations simply cut through and feedback is practically non-existant and with the blend of the other instruments, the Ovations sound the most natural. And the new electronics (check out some of the Collector's editions) are much improved and some include a blend with a little mic attached through the sound hole.

Originally posted by vopt:

generally did all he could to make me feel like an idiot for even considering one.

Yet you still gave him your money?!?! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

I had an Ovation Balladier for a few years. Played great. Sounded bland unplugged.

However, it worked great live, which is why I bought it. That blandness is because it didn't have any crazy peaks anywhere, and that made it easy to deal with live. I kind of miss it, because it *did* play great, and it was a good thing to have to beat around at gigs (like the acoustic ones I seem to be doing a lot of recently), instead of my favorite Gibson. Oh well.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

I have an Ovation, and a Taylor. (Which is almost like saying I have a Baby Grand, and a Fender Rhoades--that's how different they are in both tone and application.)

First off, to say "Ovations suck" simply because one has difficulty getting used to the shape, is neither helpful nor a valid criticism. (Wouldn't that be like saying "Les Pauls suck" because they're heavy and cause me shoulder pain?) If you don't like how they sound when SOMEONE ELSE is playing it, then you can say "they suck." After a week, you get used to the bowl shape. Mine NEVER slides, whether I'm standing or sitting, once I got used to it.

Now, having said all that, here are the pros and cons I've found.

PROS:

It's the loudest unplugged I've heard (mine's a deep back), and it's pretty indestructible. I've taken it to Folk Festivals, mountains, the beach, etc. If there are a bunch of people sitting around jamming on acoustics, I don't get lost in the crowd. The biggest plus, of course, is that when I'm playing with an electric band, I can cut through without feedback. That's the whole reason everyone played them in the 70's. Since then other makers have come a long way with their active pick up designs, and have greatly closed the gap.

CONS:

Played unplugged, they don't have the same good tone as an all-wood guitar.

It all comes down to your primary use. What's the point of dissing its unplugged tone when that's not why you got it? My Taylor blows away my Ovation, BUT, not if I'm just strumming out hard along with a bunch of electric players. Also, I don't want to take my Taylor to certain places, whereas the Ovation can handle anything.

p.s. A word about salespeople. It doesn't matter what they're selling--musical instruments, cars, TVs, insurance, whatever--NEVER take their advice. They have such a potential conflict of interest, and they're not your "buddy." Maybe some are good people, and maybe some truly want to steer you to what's best for you, but get a grip: they work on commission, which means they don't necessarily make the same rate for all manufacturer's products. And they don't necessarily know a goddamn thing about the products they're selling. Maybe a salesperson, for instance, truly has had bad experiences with Ovation, but maybe they simply don't make the same commission, or maybe Gibson is having a big promotional push that month. The bottom line is, you'll never know. One of the dumbest questions in life a person can ask is, "Hey, salesperson, what do YOU think I should buy?"

Originally posted by kudyba:

Funny that Takamine and Ovation are distributed by Kaman...

I've had a Tak EN10C and an Elite and guess which one I still have? the OVATION!!! Both guitars are superior in a live setting with a band than any other acoustic I've played or heard played live. Stay away from the Korean Celebrity line as the tops aren't solid and the finish/lacquer tends top crack. But if you're talking about an Adamas with that carbon fiber top--those things even sound good unplugged! Huge bottom end. And rugged guitars that can take a beating too...You really don't need that much notch filtering or a feedback buster with the Ovations (or for the Tak's for that matter). As for live, the Ovations simply cut through and feedback is practically non-existant and with the blend of the other instruments, the Ovations sound the most natural. And the new electronics (check out some of the Collector's editions) are much improved and some include a blend with a little mic attached through the sound hole.

They also make Helicopter blades........

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

They also make Helicopter blades.....

And the actual helicoptors! Ever hear of a Kaman helicopter like the K-MAX (counter-rotating main rotors and no tail rotor)? It's used in anything to fight forest fires to logging to rescue missions!

Actually Charlie Kaman got the idea for the roundback from seeing some of the raw materials that were used in the helicopter blades. He just started playing around and voila, out came a Balladeer!

OK so I worked there for 11 months...

The only Ovations that "sound good" are the Legdend models, the elite, the ballareer stink! Oh yea the adamas suck too! Shallow bowels sound tinney!! Only the deep bowels sound good, plugged in or not!!I know I own 2, 1- classical,1- steel stringed. Bought both at pawn shops for $300 apeice!!!!

I like the sound, but know many don't. I have worked in MI, and have played for 25 years. And yes Taylors do blow away an O', if you can afford one!!! Just my 2 cents!!!!!! alleecat :]

The problem I have with ovations, aside from the thin unplugged sound, is that the top changes with the weather and the body doesn't. Probably 80% of the over 1 year old ovations I've come across have a warped top.

Jason

Originally posted by Jason Poff:

Probably 80% of the over 1 year old ovations I've come across have a warped top.

? I *think* I've seen one with a warped top. I've seen plenty without. In fact, right now in the closet next to me sits a Celebrity that belongs to a drummer friend of mine I'm renting a room from. Hold on, don't go anywhere....

Nope, not warped; probably been sitting in there for a couple of years, no case.... not exactly babied. Sounds quite bad, but that's another thing...

Most warped tops I've seen (on all acoustic guitars) occur behind the bridge, from the tension of the strings. That, and cracks around the rosette, down the center towards the bridge (again due probably to tension on the bridge). I would think the bowl on an Ovation would expand and contract evenly, and if there was a problem from this it would manifest itself in the top delaminating from the edge.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Well have owned two ovations....both tops warped and cracked...

sold em both...yes they sound good plugged in but they don't sound

like a true acoustic...they have their own sound..as do wood guitars..

I now play a Taylor...and am very happy .. but it doesn't go to the fun

places the ovations did..so yes they are tough...but you give up the

tone of a real acoustic when you play an ovation...

laters

life is too short to play crappy guitars!!

Eric Worthington covered most of the pros and cons of Ovations very thoroughly.

Jason Poff pointed out the inherent problem of the wood top, carbon bowl design. There are a LOT of warped Ovation tops, although a year is pretty quick for the change unless you're constantly putting it through major temp./humidity changes.

The ones to get, therefore, are the Adamas instruments, as they have entirely carbon fiber construction. To go one better (one MUCH better!) buy a Rainsong carbon fiber guitar. If you like the tone, it will NEVER change. Only strings and YOUR ability to handle temp./humidity changes matter! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

And yes, Ovations have there own acoustic and electric sound, by and large. Unique, not natural, but it works for many live performers.

Please don't talk to me about Takamine's. Overpriced garbage! When I bought my FP-360SC in 1991, they had a huge jump on the market as far as good pickup/preamp combinations onboard from the factory. But now most every manufacturer of decent acoustics offer Fishman, L.R. Baggs, or their own pickup/preamp of a reputable grade, from the factory. Meanwhile, lets look at what's always been wrong with Takamines.

They use epoxy instead of glue to attach the neck and bridge to the body. So what you say? My headstock snapped off completely. With any other manufacturer, you could order a new neck, steam the old neck off, and replace the broken part. Not so with epoxy! You'd have to ruin the finish (and probably alter the sound) with some kind of thinner to break down the epoxy.

The luthier who worked on the guitar had RECENTLY SET UP KAMAN'S OWN QC AREA IN THEIR (then brand new) DISTRIBUTION CENTER in Goodlettsville, TN, just north of Nashville. He was an established repairman who'd moved to Nashville, and had been given official warranty service status by Takamine, including a piece of paper to hang on the wall stating as such. He works for a lot of industry heavy's. Takamine never mentioned to him that you can't remove their necks!

The worst surprise.. THIS IS BY DESIGN! They don't want anyone hijacking their guitar necks, bodies, or electronics and placing them in someone elses guitar. So what, you say? They WOULDN'T SELL A NEW NECK TO AN AUTHORIZED TAKAMINE REPAIRMAN! After begging them for something, they sold him a damaged neck/body with the electronics and tuners raped from it, for him to get the new neck. That's when he discovered, on his own, the epoxy problem.

Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that their pickup system requires they drill relatively large holes in the bridge and top under each string. This is why most of them sound thin acoustically. They've extracted major mass out of the most important transmission of sound waves from string to your ears! (I can't say for sure this is the way new Tak electronics work. Remember, the guitar is a 10 year old model.)

After that, he fixed the split top, added L.R.Baggs electronics and new tuners, and sold their guitar. As for my Takamine, we scrapped it. The repair would have been far more expensive than a new instrument. I was on a tight budget at the time.

He got me a Blueridge acoustic (Chinese made, which would have frightened me away, in a store.) and installed an L.R.Baggs ribbon pickup and preamp. It sounds infinately better than the Tak ever did, acoustic or electric.

When I worked at MARS Nashville, the in house luthier cut me a sweet deal on fixing the Tak, but it pales in comparison to the Blueridge. Before he worked on it, I attempted to get an answer as to how I could extract the neck without damage to the body from the Tak reps. They dropped the ball 3 times and I never did get an answer.

One last point: Price.

I bought the Tak at cost while working for GC in 1991, and it cost close to $675 including a generic soft bag. (Retail was $1300, I believe) I knew it sounded weak, acoustically, but nothing at the time could touch it plugged in.

All told, including labor to install the Baggs came to $475 for the Blueridge in 1998. Not a bad "trade up." And it came in a standard hardshell case.

Ask questions at the stores, play 'em, and make your own conclusions. I for one will never purchace another Tak.

rant over.

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived