Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Paul Simon and Brian Wilson

Gator Wing

Saw both last night. They had teleprompters for Brian. He signed autographs after his portion of the show. Played bass for one or two songs. Sat behind a keyboard the rest of the time.

Paul Simon was great. Still as good as ever.

There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a copy of my post on this topic from the Anderton/SSS board:

So, I saw BW live last night as the opener for Paul Simon, an experience that was both joyous and sad at the same time.

Sad because Brian looks completely lost as a live performer. He appeared to be using teleprompters, and seemed to be looking at them very intently. Behind his keyboard most of the night, he played it very little, instead trying to do something rhythmic with his hands. For "Barbara Ann", he "played" a Precision Bass, but I don't the sound of it was in the mix. At least he was more animated.

Joyous, because as stiff as Brian may appear, he seems to be having a great time playing great music with a great band. I can't remember having heard a better backing band than The Wondermints. On the show closer, "Love and Mercy", there were 10 strong vocalists! And what could be better on a clear summer night than to hear Wilson's music played so damn well. Big surprise: Brian and his band were available to sign merchandise after their set. It was rewarding just to be the presence of his greatness and hear all that amazing music from the wellspring.

It was all good with Paul Simon's set. I'd pay $10 just to hear Baghiti Khumalo (sp?) play the bass break in "You Can Call Me Al". Nice touch: sounded and looked like a real Rhodes for "50 Ways" and "Still Crazy". It's amazing how fresh all his material stays, particularly the '70s hits and the Graceland tunes.

• 2 weeks later...

I threw up the day after the show... when I found out Brian was signing autographs after his set... Instead of kickin' it with Brian I was watching a friend eat a pretzel...I feel sick again...

My mother had some choice words about Brian's performance..."He appears to have no sense of rythm, but sings in time..."

I wish Paul Simon would have played more songs from YOU'RE THE ONE! What a great disc! I haven't stopped listening to that all summer!

Did you see Simon's bass player doing that wacky dancing? That was great except it caused my friend (the pretzel dude) to be screaming RERUN ! during the CALL ME AL bass solo...

Beach Boy Flush

I threw up the day after the show... when I found out Brian was signing autographs after his set... Instead of kickin' it with Brian I was watching a friend eat a pretzel...I feel sick again...

My mother had some choice words about Brian's performance..."He appears to have no sense of rythm, but sings in time..."

I wish Paul Simon would have played more songs from YOU'RE THE ONE! What a great disc! I haven't stopped listening to that all summer!

Did you see Simon's bass player doing that wacky dancing? That was great except it caused my friend (the pretzel dude) to be screaming RERUN ! during the CALL ME AL bass solo...

Beach Boy Flush

Archived