Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

R.I.P. John Lee Hooker

djarrett

I know I am a drummer, but recognize the importance of great landmark musicians. I also know the influence John Lee Hooker has had on many guitarists.

Sadly, John Lee Hooker died today.

You can read about his death in the L.A. Times at:

http://www.latimes.com/obituary/ap_hooker010621.htm

He was just shy of his 84th birthday.

Thought the guitarist should know.

Sincerely,

Dendy (DJ)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i knew something was wrong when i got up today.....damn. between john lee and lightning hopkins, the most incredible blues was released straight the heart...damn the progression.."if i wanna make it 13 and 1/2 bars i will damn it!" those two made the most raw, heartfelt music i've ever heard. they say these deaths come in threes...if we're lucky, maybe george w. isn't feeling too well.....

-d. gauss

My earliest experiences with improv playing was playing piano for an incredible harp and National Steel player by the name of Jack Dudeck who died in a fishing accident sveral years ago. I played just about everything song Hooker ever wrote with Jack. I was too young to understand what Hooker was all about back then. But I got a lot of playing experience that most 13 to 15 year olds never get and that time was foundational for everything I was to become musically.

Today, I understand the man, John Lee Hooker and his music. To those who never really gave his music a serious listen, he might have seemed a simple player. But, Hooker had emotion and authority to every note he played or sang that few of us will ever come close to.

There are very few of us who have not come under his influence whether we realize it or not. Hooker is a legend and he epitomized the Blues. Thank you, John Lee. May God rest your soul.

This message has been edited by b3wiz on 06-22-2001 at 01:00 AM

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM...

Gonna shoot ya right down...

I can't be sad over a life that ends after being lived doing what they loved to do! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif John Lee Hooker didn't die...he graduated!

(RAISES GLASS!!! ALL AROUND!)

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Yeah, all the greats are moving on to that juke joint in the sky. Gonna miss him, but he was in very poor health the last time I saw him on TV. The last time I saw BB, he didn't look much better......

Rest in Peace John.

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

John Lee Hooker didn't die, he graduated! Right you are Tedster! I was driving home last night (4.5 hrs post midnight) and caught NPR doing a JLH tribute all the way home....... Grinin' all the way.One of the acts this weekend was a Contemporary Christian band, Crosscut, out of Gainseville. 5 guys, all either brothers or brother in laws. Pretty good stuff

rick

I humbly propose a toast to the memory of John Lee Hooker...

"...one bourbon, one scotch, one beer..."

------------------

KJ

-------------------

bari man low

KJ

-------------------

"50 million Elvis Presley fans can't be all wrong" - John Prine

well,just for me even tho i dont play blues, john lee was *the*man-when i first moved to sf,cali back in the 70s i ran into him up in north beach @ the coffee gallery-he wasnt playin-just hangin 'round-i told him how important his early records were to me as a musician,especially his ~footstomp~still an integral part of my stuff-and i noticed he was wearin a button and i was just gettin into that wonderful album by well, he gave me the button! he said "jus a little sumpin sumpin" and i thanked him as he wandered out into that foggy night...
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

well,just for me even tho i dont play blues, john lee was *the*man-when i first moved to sf,cali back in the 70s i ran into him up in north beach @ the coffee gallery-he wasnt playin-just hangin 'round-i told him how important his early records were to me as a musician,especially his ~footstomp~still an integral part of my stuff-and i noticed he was wearin a button and i was just gettin into that wonderful album by well, he gave me the button! he said "jus a little sumpin sumpin" and i thanked him as he wandered out into that foggy night...
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Archived