Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

biggest gear mistake

D. Gauss

in a world of "it's obsolete before you get it home" what's the biggest gear purchase mistake you have made? either it turned out to be a turd and or you spent way too much on it, or just got plain ripped off.

for me, there have been many, but the one that hurts the most was many years ago trading a plexi-marshall half stack for a gibson L6S guitar. at the time, the amp was too big for my VW bug, and i needed a backup guitar. ooops! we all know what the amp is now worth. and by book value, the guitar is pretty much worthless and i never play it!

years ago, i also bought one of those "all-in-one" zoom fx boxes when they first came out, stupidly thinking it would replace things like analog delay, tubescreamer etc. i replaced 'em all right...with a transistor radio! Yikes. thank god i was able to sell it without losing too much money...

-d. gauss

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sold my analog 8-track reel-to-reel in favor of Cakewalk and a digital board. Man, do I HATE trying to record with Cakewalk! I get all sort of latency problems. The board sounds good, but it's useless without a decent recording device.

My other stupid mistake was selling my Acoustic 370 head and Fender 2x15 cab. There's never been a better sounding bass setup.

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Mine was selling an Acoustic Bass combo and an early 60's ShoBud steel. Also into this category would be leaving an apartment full of gear over a weekend, Houston 1976. Talk about dispair. Only thing that didn't get ripped was a 65 SG with P90's that I still use today.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

As a young idiot in the early 80's who wanted to sound like EVH. I traded my late 70's Black Beauty for an odd shaped Kramer Voyager that had a whammy bar on it. The store that allowed me to do the trade actually gave me a hard time and made me sweat before they agreed.

Boy, if I only had a time machine.

------------------

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/144/oscar_jordan.html

I used some student loan money in college to buy a 5150 half stack I didn't need. I was in college for cryin' out loud, and I wasn't in a band! The hell did I need a 100 watt 5150 for? I don't think I ever turned that thing up past 1&1/2. I could have gotten by with a twenty watt tube combo and saved myself some student loan debt.

I also sold a classical guitar (not great, but a classical guitar nonetheless) at a garage sale for $15. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/redface.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/redface.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/redface.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/redface.gif

but that's a stupid SALES thread.....

~clockwirk~

One time I drank warm Colt 45 malt liquor out of a can....Oh hell, you said big 'gear' mistake...Sorry!

Fortunately, I research like crazy before I buy anything, so I don't have any horror stories, although I'm getting a real kick out of these posts.

Besides, I usually only buy the used, extra cheesy stuff. Other than that I buy Carvin.

O.K., so that $49 for the Radio Shack reverb might be classified as a boo boo. I felt so bad I gave it away.

Steve

Selling my Fender Champion amp. Man, that small thing was loud and small enough to fit on a bike... I hate myself for that one!
If it sounds god, just play the darn thing

I sold an absolutely mint Fender Princeton Reverb Silverface for dirt cheap cause I was broke at the time. That amp had the best clean, lush sound that I've ever heard. Looking back, I wish that I would of found another way to keep that amp. Hindsight is always the best sight.

-Dylan

Yo Mile!!! I here ya.

I borrowed one of those things fo a couple of weeks while my own amp was down, and MAN did I love that sound!!!

Forgot all about it 'till you mentioned it. Gotta get me one o'them bad boys.

Steve

I'm afraid I'm with stanner on this one. Maybe a generational thing, but I have a real hard time dredgin' up stuff that can't be measured on the dumb-o-tronic scale.......or was thyat dumb-a-holic?

rick

Well, I kinda took a hit on this one, because it was something that I kinda engineered, or had a part in engineering, having someone else make a stupid purchase.

I have the good fortune to have pretty cool in-laws, relatively young folks (my mother-in-law was 16 when she had my wife-to-be)...well, my mother-in-law is a pretty proficient keyboardist. Pianist about town, church pipe organist...well, about 15 years ago (or thereabouts) my father-in-law and a bunch of us decided it would be great to bring mom-in-law into the then current 1980s...and we all put our collective heads together, as he wanted to get her a cool keyboard. A synth (his bucks, we were broke musicians). Well, we sauntered down to Detroit, and played around with the (then) state-of-the-art synths. Well, if you remember, the state-of-the-art lasted about 15 minutes in the 80s. With my keyboard playing buddy's advice (and mine) we got her a Korg DSS-1. That seemed pretty cutting edge in 1985 or whenever.

Well, when she got the thing, she gave this look that told us we'd helped my father-in-law blow a couple grand on something she wouldn't use. She didn't. HATED synths...(technology was a scary thing for her, I guess). The thing sat in the basement. My burn-out brother in law used it in his band for a bit...abused it, lost all the diskettes. I "rescued it" and now it sits here in Missouri in our jam room, quite outdated. The disks have been replaced by downloading the sounds off the net.

At least my father-in-law didn't seem too pissed about it. It was kinda his idea, too...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

d gauss,

Hey man, I have a Gibson L6-S, I bought it in 1975, I've had it ever since... it plays like a dream, sounds great, stays nicely in tune...

give it a chance! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

-AlChuck

Ok, here's mine:

My 1st synth was a korg poly 800 (back in 85). Didn't have it long and managed to upgrade it soon. (smart move)

Last year I got a nice bonus at work, was searching at ebay for some used gear and figured, 'hey wouldn't be cool to get back to the beginning and getting that synth again?' Right.

What a piece of shit.

I forgot how bad it sounded. Granted, upgrading it from a casio home keyboard in 85 was definitely cool. But certain things should stay back in history.

I'm planning to keep the damn thing just to remind me of thinking about where I spend my money next time.

-Rod

(BTW changed my nickame.. used to be rsaboiasilva@hotmail.com)

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Sold to help finance a totally useless college education:

1961 Strat originally bought for $175

1954 Les Paul Custom with "Byrdland" P/U

1961 Fender Deluxe Brown tolex

1964 Twin Reverb

2- 1961 SG Standards with Les Paul truss rod covers

1963 Telecaster bought new by my dad when I was in junior high school

I have very few regrets in life but the 1961 Strat is among them. I have a custom made Strat which is an attempt to duplicate this guitar and it is very good but there's nothing like the real thing. I also had a 1964 Vibrolux Reverb stolen from a rehearsal space and I miss that too. The Tele and the Vibrolux was the sound for me. I will probably have a Fender Custom Shop Strat made one of these days in another attempt to reclaim the lost strat.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

I majored in math. I will admit that I did enjoy it believe it or not! I worked as a studio technician for a number of years and I guess the math background may have helped a bit with the electronics, but all in all it was a sidetrack from the music which was my true passion. I don't regret going to school, I only regret selling that Strat and the other great stuff I had just to pay a few month's rent. I actually thought I could walk away from music. Just to put things in perspective I did play music for many years after the school period and have been around the world with my guitar. It brought me to Japan where I now live and I am happily married with two beautiful sons and a bunch of very nice guitars.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Take a look at http://www.users.bigpond.com/apertout/Home.htm

One of the few people left that you can still get DSS-1 and DSM-1 sounds from.

I still have a Korg DSM-1...

Originally posted by Tedster:

Well, I kinda took a hit on this one, because it was something that I kinda engineered, or had a part in engineering, having someone else make a stupid purchase.

I have the good fortune to have pretty cool in-laws, relatively young folks (my mother-in-law was 16 when she had my wife-to-be)...well, my mother-in-law is a pretty proficient keyboardist. Pianist about town, church pipe organist...well, about 15 years ago (or thereabouts) my father-in-law and a bunch of us decided it would be great to bring mom-in-law into the then current 1980s...and we all put our collective heads together, as he wanted to get her a cool keyboard. A synth (his bucks, we were broke musicians). Well, we sauntered down to Detroit, and played around with the (then) state-of-the-art synths. Well, if you remember, the state-of-the-art lasted about 15 minutes in the 80s. With my keyboard playing buddy's advice (and mine) we got her a Korg DSS-1. That seemed pretty cutting edge in 1985 or whenever.

Well, when she got the thing, she gave this look that told us we'd helped my father-in-law blow a couple grand on something she wouldn't use. She didn't. HATED synths...(technology was a scary thing for her, I guess). The thing sat in the basement. My burn-out brother in law used it in his band for a bit...abused it, lost all the diskettes. I "rescued it" and now it sits here in Missouri in our jam room, quite outdated. The disks have been replaced by downloading the sounds off the net.

At least my father-in-law didn't seem too pissed about it. It was kinda his idea, too...

Archived