Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Roland FP4 digital piano ?

Jazz+

Anybody played the new Roland FP4 digital piano?

It has a new PHA II (Progrssive Hammer Action II), "with each and every key of a full concert grand painstakingly reproduced."

FP4

http://www.roland.com/products/en/FP-4/index.html

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did play this for 5 min. ROLAND land is always way noisy. I dug the sound though. I don't remember too much about the action, but I do remember it felt pretty good. I definitely preferred it to the previous offerings in the FP series, but I think I'd buy a CP33 before I bought one of these.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

J+, I played it and the FP7. I really didn't think the action was that much different the RD300SX. I think the piano might be the same as the RD300SX, i.e. the Fantom X piano. The other sounds sounded all the same. No improvement in the Rhodes. The FP7 has the heavier action but the sounds seem to be pretty much the same as the FP4.

The FP7's display is very nice. Both have a session player function which gives you bass and drum accompaniment--a little better than a drum machine I suppose.

For me, the FP4 offers no real advantage over the RD300SX. Same weight. I think the same sounds. The RD has a basic MIDI controller functionality that I need. I don't believe the FP4 has that.

The buttons on the new Rolands are lighted and color, but kind of feel like a home organ.

Busch.

One Roland action that DID knock me out was the PHA II "Ivory Feel" with escapement. Designed to reproduce the feel of real ivory and ebony. This is on the RG-3 Digital Grand and the HP-207 Home Piano. Sensuous. My favorite digital piano action, and that includes the Kawai.

Busch.

Busch said:

" I really didn't think the action was that much different the RD300SX. I think the piano might be the same as the RD300SX..."

Thanks Busch, that's what I was expecting.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Archived