Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The laptop rig - help a man out

Clifton

A not-too-shabby laptop just fell into my lap, so now I feel inclined to attempt the treacherous soft-synth path, seeing as I've been planning on doing that from the beginning, ha.

Can I get some advice?

Particularly, which audio interface has proven to be a winner? (PCMCIA, USB or FireWire, that is)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i use Tascam PC122 usb audio interface with my Nord Leads 2 as midi controller, and everything runs smoothly. There's a new PC inteface from Tascam (i think it's PC 144) wich is pretty cheap.
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

A great value/price setup is M-Audio Transit, which is stereo 24-bit interface for $80, with RCA (home stereo) connectors so you generally use a converter cable or adaptors.

I use my built-in, though, with ASIO4ALL driver (free) -- definitely worth a try though the quality is definitely better with an interface. (But not very noticeable difference on stage.)

And the M-Adio Uno MIDI interface, which is a cable with a USB connector on one end, a pair of MIDI connectors on the other end, and a little lump about 25% of the way from one end. Assuming you already have a MIDI keyboard and don't need more than one MIDI connection in your setup.

For software, try the following free or nearly free ones:

MrRay73 and Organized Trio from http://soundfonts.it

Free sfz soundfont player and my free Rhodes soundfont, jRhodes3 (I prefer the stereo version myself.)

Cheers,

Jeff

Cheers fellas, I've decided to go with either the Tascam US-122L or the US-144, it looks a winner. I just hope those supposed driver issues don't get the better of me, but if it works for you yannisD, then I'm pretty confident (are you running Windows or Mac?)

learjeff, I had considered using ASIO4ALL with the internal SoundMax card, but both the cpu power and the poor quality of the sound outputs on this Windows laptop of mine is probably unsuitable for live use. Phantom XLR inputs are cool too!

Thanks lads

i'm running windows Clifton. I think you won't have any problems, as the Tascam is USB powred so it does not depends on electricity's us and downs (my older M Audio Ozone was problematic because of that reason)

+ the freebies Learjeff suggest are vey good IMO, try them :) You can also find many of them at http://www.kvraudio.com/

good luck

i'm running windows Clifton. I think you won't have any problems, as the Tascam is USB powred so it does not depends on electricity's us and downs (my older M Audio Ozone was problematic because of that reason)

+ the freebies Learjeff suggest should be very good , try them :) You can also find many of them at http://www.kvraudio.com/

good luck

Archived