Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A new V-Synth at NAMM

Tusker

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised but this looks great.

New

AP synthesis. Looks like it can be used in addition to standard V-Synth sound generation.

Five structures instead of three on the original. Structure 5 shows AP synthesis with Vocal Designer so it's possible VC is built-in and always available.

Upper and lower tone. That's a very, very nice improvement. They probably upped the power of the synth.

Eight soft knobs.

Of course that color display. Colors everywhere.

--------------

The V-Synth remains, for me at least, the only interesting digital synth out there. It can do things you can't do in software. The VAs are just a rehash. Want subtractive synthesis, get an analog.

Busch.

Well Roland has had color displays (non touch) on their workstations for a few years now. The original V-Synth is a B/W touch screen. The V-Synth XT is a color touch screen. Also, the OASYS is color touch. I would bet the new V-Synth keyboard is color touch.

Busch.

Busch, Thanks for your nice observations.

Originally posted by burningbusch:

Five structures instead of three on the original.

I am glad they ditched some the vestigial XV/JV/JD stuff like the ring modulator. Hopefully the sonics got cleaned up in the process.

Structure 5 shows AP synthesis with Vocal Designer so it's possible VC is built-in and always available.

The reboot requirement killed the original V-synth for many live performers. This is aimed more squarely at them. Roland was listening. :thu:

Upper and lower tone. That's a very, very nice improvement. They probably upped the power of the synth.

Yup. Hopefully things like load time have improved with the additional processing capability. I am bracing for sticker shock. It's the Oasys effect right?

The V-Synth remains, for me at least, the only interesting digital synth out there.

For me it seems to promise controllable, unique timbre without being a huge time sink like Reaktor and G2.

Jerry

Man, so this year, I have get a pair of ADAMs (or 5), something to replace my Triton Pro X, upgrade my V-Synth, and get a new Mac right after the next speed bump. AND I have to upgrade Live and probably Logic.

I thought this was the year I wan't going to buy anything! :(

"For instance" is not proof.

For me its going to be an expensive year too, but I already have been saving for two years. Also I bought a lot of gear that I can sell and make a profit on (e.g. rhodes, bass pedals, Access rack, CX3).

At the moment I'm looking at:

MOTIF XS-7

VSYNTH 2

iMAC 24

and I'll also hopefully get my Promega 3 repaired!!

damn. My gas list had been wittled down to a dual phaser which I will have the cash for soon enough. I had the original v-synth on the list for a while but there were a few things that put me off, at least until the second hand market brings prices down further I thought. Then I thought I might pick up the new Kaoss pad for very basic live sample mangling. However. Looks like Roland've responded to the few shortcomings of the original so I think this will be my major purchase this year. Those folks who keep bagging out the big 3 for not producing much new in the way of synths in the last 10 years will have to leave Roland off their hitlist now. Unexpected and very very welcome.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Archived