Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A new V-Synth at NAMM

Tusker

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised but this looks great.

New

AP synthesis. Looks like it can be used in addition to standard V-Synth sound generation.

Five structures instead of three on the original. Structure 5 shows AP synthesis with Vocal Designer so it's possible VC is built-in and always available.

Upper and lower tone. That's a very, very nice improvement. They probably upped the power of the synth.

Eight soft knobs.

Of course that color display. Colors everywhere.

--------------

The V-Synth remains, for me at least, the only interesting digital synth out there. It can do things you can't do in software. The VAs are just a rehash. Want subtractive synthesis, get an analog.

Busch.

Busch, Thanks for your nice observations.

Originally posted by burningbusch:

Five structures instead of three on the original.

I am glad they ditched some the vestigial XV/JV/JD stuff like the ring modulator. Hopefully the sonics got cleaned up in the process.

Structure 5 shows AP synthesis with Vocal Designer so it's possible VC is built-in and always available.

The reboot requirement killed the original V-synth for many live performers. This is aimed more squarely at them. Roland was listening. :thu:

Upper and lower tone. That's a very, very nice improvement. They probably upped the power of the synth.

Yup. Hopefully things like load time have improved with the additional processing capability. I am bracing for sticker shock. It's the Oasys effect right?

The V-Synth remains, for me at least, the only interesting digital synth out there.

For me it seems to promise controllable, unique timbre without being a huge time sink like Reaktor and G2.

Jerry

Man, so this year, I have get a pair of ADAMs (or 5), something to replace my Triton Pro X, upgrade my V-Synth, and get a new Mac right after the next speed bump. AND I have to upgrade Live and probably Logic.

I thought this was the year I wan't going to buy anything! :(

"For instance" is not proof.

For me its going to be an expensive year too, but I already have been saving for two years. Also I bought a lot of gear that I can sell and make a profit on (e.g. rhodes, bass pedals, Access rack, CX3).

At the moment I'm looking at:

MOTIF XS-7

VSYNTH 2

iMAC 24

and I'll also hopefully get my Promega 3 repaired!!

damn. My gas list had been wittled down to a dual phaser which I will have the cash for soon enough. I had the original v-synth on the list for a while but there were a few things that put me off, at least until the second hand market brings prices down further I thought. Then I thought I might pick up the new Kaoss pad for very basic live sample mangling. However. Looks like Roland've responded to the few shortcomings of the original so I think this will be my major purchase this year. Those folks who keep bagging out the big 3 for not producing much new in the way of synths in the last 10 years will have to leave Roland off their hitlist now. Unexpected and very very welcome.

Keys: Hammond SK2, Hammond SK1, Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Waldorf STVC

Amplification: Line6 L3T, Yamaha DBR-10, Presonus Air 10, Leslie 122V

Archived