Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Out of tune P 250

Leberwurst

I guess this is one for Dave Horne:

Half an hour ago, I sat down at my Yamaha P250 and played some scales. It sounded really crappy because of a very subtle detuning of the keyboard. As I found out, the lower and upper two octaves are not or very slightly hearable detuned, while the three middle octaves are a real pain in the earse...

I've done the factory reset two times, I've switched it on and off again, I've turned the pitch-wheel while playing, while not playing, but there's no difference. I also checked if the tuning is correct, I checked with headphones, no solution.

My ears can't be that damaged, because even my sister, who is not that musically, says to hear the detuned sound.

The Dromb Bopper

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first place I would look is Other Settings (or whatever it's called). On the right side of the keyboard there are two buttons - one for Midi settings and one for Other settings.

I'd make sure the Tuning is set to Equal.

If that's not the cause of the problem, turn the piano on while holding a Db, F, Ab (Db major root position triad) in either the middle octave or the octave below. There's a built in diagnostic that you can run through. I forget the specifics, but several buttons on the left of the screen or several of the Song/Sequencer buttons run the test and move from one sub test to another. It's not intuitive but you'll figure it out.

My money's on the Equal setting somehow being changed. Report back.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Of course, if the Voice chosen is Honky Tonk Piano, you'll just have to live with it. :D

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I've done the factory reset two times, I've switched it on and off again, I've turned the pitch-wheel while playing, while not playing, but there's no difference. I also checked if the tuning is correct, I checked with headphones, no solution.
Just to be 100% certain - do you mean the pitch wheel does not work or that it does not solve your problem. If the wheel doesn't work, that's the source of the problem I would think.

I would open up the keyboard (real easy) and take a look. Be sure that the top part of the keyboard is resting against the wall so it doesn't fall too far down. Those cables and wires are only so long.

It might just be a ribbon cable that's not correctly in place or something else that you can visually notice and correct.

woa...my problem seems to be pretty inspiring, huh? :D

seriously, thank you very much for the input.

1.) To begin with your last post: it's no mechanical error, I just had the experience that if you overuse the pitch wheel (you know, these people who have never seen a keyboard before :) and those synth players :D ) it might uh..corrupt the sound, some notes just sound pitched. You'd have to restart the piano once or twice so the sound was normal again. I noticed this also on a Kurzweil.

2.)Yes, the tune was Equal...eventhough I love to rock off with Pythagoreon tuning ;)

3.) solution of the problem My sister just switched it on, it works without problem, no tune issues anymore :freak:

What do we learn?

The caring hands of a woman solve even the worst problems in a man's man's man's world. :D:D:D

The Dromb Bopper

3.) solution of the problem My sister just switched it on, it works without problem, no tune issues anymore

What do we learn?

The caring hands of a woman solve even the worst problems in a man's man's man's world.

----------------------------------------------------------------

With your sister? You are one sick puppy. Please excuse this comment if you are of the notion "well if she ain't good enough for her own family she ain't good enough for me."

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Originally posted by BluesKeys:

Please excuse this comment if you are of the notion "well if she ain't good enough for her own family she ain't good enough for me."

Ummmmmm, you're from North Carolina, aren't you? :rolleyes:;)

(Wait. I can say that because I'm from North Carolina too.) :D:wave:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by leber_wurst:

why do you guys discriminate against your sisters? I don't think that's fair

right, e.g. Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus also known as Caligula didn't have problem with that at all...
♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Originally posted by leber_wurst:

why should he? they are just as much a human being as I am. It's time for america to accept that

are you telling me that hitting on your own sister is OK? :freak:
♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Archived