Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Newbie Here Needs a Keyboard

Insomnia

I've been playing guitar for a while, around 2 years now, and I'm finally looking to expand my musical arsenal. My problem is that I am not sure what I should be looking for. Before I started looking, I thought there was just one type of keyboard, but now I've found that there are portal arrangers, digital pianos, synthesizers, midi controllers and probably some I don't even know about quite yet.

So, I need some help from the experts, it seems. I know immediately, I can knock out midi controllers. I want to be able to be able to knock out tunes without carrying around a laptop and some speakers. Other than that, I'm not sure what else exactly does what.

I'd like to be able to play some classical pieces, so I assume I'm looking for at least 76 keys, I'd like to be able to play other stuff like Cat Stevens etc, and I'm sure that goes along the same lines. Where I get a little more confused about what to look for, is I'd like to play some really synthy kind of music, stuff like Muse's newest album had some great riffs that I just can't simulate on guitar.

I'm not looking to spend several hundred dollars on a keyboard/synth/whatever, but I don't want to buy bottom rung either, because I'll just learn it so quickly I'll grow out of it.

Can anyone help me with some suggestions?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Insomnia, and welcome to the forum.

I'm too lazy to give you a good explanation, but clonk here for a great explanation.

Sounds to me like you're leaning toward a piano sound and you probably want weighted keys with that. Your budget sounds a bit lean. The cheapest you can do is a Casio Privia, and they're about $500 new. Use the search function and you'll find a lot of discussion about them.

That won't give you your synth sounds, though. Folks often prefer a shorter, unweighted keyboard for that. I'm a piano organ guy, so I can't help you much here.

If you're more specific about the sounds you're interested in and your budget, folks can offer more specific suggestions.

--wmp

Originally posted by Insomnia:

I'm not looking to spend several hundred dollars on a keyboard/synth/whatever, but I don't want to buy bottom rung either, because I'll just learn it so quickly I'll grow out of it.

Several hundred dollars IS the bottom rung my friend.

If you want synth sounds, I'd go with something like Korg's MicroKORG. If you want piano, go with the privia or even a PSR portable keyboard. That might be all you need. For anything more professional you're looking at something 2 to 3 times your budget.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I concur with wmp--there is NO digital piano under $1000 that sounds better or plays better than the Casio Privia, and I've tried 'em all. Anyone who tells you differently either isn't being honest, or simply hasn't tried out a Privia.

There are now 3 models out--a $500, a $600, and $800, if I remember correctly (I have the $600 Privia PX-310).

Alcuin

Archived