Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which MIDI Controller Do You Recommend?

undo

Hi, this is my debut in Harmony Central User Forums :wave:

I'm about to buy a MIDI Controller for the first time, and I need some experts' orientation during the purchasing process, indeed. First, will I have to buy additional equipment, or is completing my MIDI controller just with some softwares enough? I've used digital pianos and synthesizers up till now, and I'm very new to the MIDI controller market. In short, I've listed these models after my search, and now I would appreciate if you make some recommendations among these ones:

*M-Audio Axiom 61

*M-Audio Oxygen 61

*M-Audio Radium 61

*Edirol PCR-M80

*E-Mu Xboard 61

*Novation ReMOTE 61 LE

*Korg Blem K-61

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In order to get back to HC (Harmony Central), you will have to make a left, go 3 stop lights, pick up the highway.... ;)

I read the first line of your post and thought you were lost. :)

The controllers listed are USB-compatible so no additional equipment should be necessary. You should be able to plug and play.

Of those listed, the E-mu Xboard 61 comes with a 3 GB Proteus X sound library.

Welcome to the forum. Good luck. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Oops! It was simply a poor start. Excuse me for the "wrong window" mistake.

ProfD, thanks for your feedback. I hear pretty good words about Xboard and Novation ReMOTE, and my observation is that most controller users are not ok with M-Audio models. Thank you very much, again.

What exactly are you controlling? I'm just saying this because my best controller is the Casio CDP-100 digital piano (weighted).

I own the Oxygen and the XBoard (semi weighted). These two have a lot of buttons and gadgets but for keyboard feel it doesn't compare to the Casio.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

I just thought that I cannot afford $1000-1500 synthesizers and then I decided to buy a USB/MIDI controller. For real, I do not consider the functionality much; rather, I'll use my PC as a medium and my speakers as output while exercising some classical partitions with mostly the piano tones of the controller.

Nonetheless, I'm not thinking of buying somewhat a minimal stuff. Around $190-290, E-mu Xboard 61 and Novation ReMOTE 61 LE seem pretty attractive and sensible. Now I'm trying to choose one :/

If you're concerned about playing a piano sound, seriously consider what I am saying. A Casio CDP-100 plus an M-Audio Uno MIDI-USB Adapter and you are set. Those controllers, not being fully weighted (spring based really) are very hard to be expressive with. If you're just learning then they are practically unusable. If you are already technically skilled then you can make a go of it but they're really not the best. Those are the choices were portability is an issue.

Also 61 keys maybe a little tight for piano playing.

If you didn't say piano sound, I wouldn't be making these comments...

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

I definitely appreciate your interest, Jazzwee. On the other hand, $400-500 is the amount what I did not think I could dare nowadays.

61 rather than 88 keys are the other part of my concern. You're completely right at this issue, however, I think I'll have some shipping problems with 88-key stuff since it will be shipped to Europe from US. In fact, I'm frightened about shipping even 49 keys miles away from US with no problems :)

Originally posted by undo:

Hi, this is my debut in Harmony Central User Forums :wave:

I'm about to buy a MIDI Controller for the first time, and I need some experts' orientation during the purchasing process, indeed. First, will I have to buy additional equipment, or is completing my MIDI controller just with some softwares enough? I've used digital pianos and synthesizers up till now, and I'm very new to the MIDI controller market. In short, I've listed these models after my search, and now I would appreciate if you make some recommendations among these ones:

*M-Audio Axiom 61

*M-Audio Oxygen 61

*M-Audio Radium 61

*Edirol PCR-M80

*E-Mu Xboard 61

*Novation ReMOTE 61 LE

*Korg Blem K-61

Hi undo - welcome to the *Keyboard* forum :rolleyes:

I recently did a little research on MIDI controllers. They seem to fall into two categories: the $100-200 range, that have little or no memory, so they can't save presets, and the $200-up range that have memory, lots of programmable knobs, buttons, etc. When using with a computer, this programmability/versatility might not matter - depends on whether you are in a situation where you need to make quick program changes, like in live situations, or like to twiddle real buttons and knobs rather than on-screen ones.

Having said all that, I don't think these issues are the most important for your decision. You are not going to be happy with any of those keyboards in terms of feel, *IF* you are trying to do piano imitations. Unfortunately, weighted keys are what you want, and none of your choices (or *ANY* choices for that matter) have true weighted keys. Jazzwee has the right answer - get some sort of weighted instrument - Casio is probably the cheapest, or try eBay - and use it for a controller.

- Bob

Originally posted by undo:

...while exercising some classical partitions...

I second what Jazzwee said, since most of classical piano répertoire involves more than 61 notes. If you don't like 88 keys, there are also 73/76 keys controllers. Just a thought, since you might end up annoyed very fast playing classical with 61 notes. :cool:

Archived