Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is there some way to do this? MIDI help...

vlad335

Greetings!

Not even sure of how to ask this...

Ok, here is the problem. I am using a Roland PK-5 to trigger chords on a Roland E-68 keyboard thru MIDI. This can only be triggered via MIDI channel 14 and the PK-5 can only be set to transmit one MIDI channel at a time. I also have a Roland GW-7 that I was using to control the main keyboard sound but this is received on channel 4 only.

I would like to use both KB's to generate sound but since the PK-5 only transmits one channel at a time this is impossible. Is their such a thing that I could plug into that would route one midi signal into two and also be able to select TX channels as well?

Also, the PK-5 has a MIDI thru jack... Would this help somehow?

I have googled repeated searches and can find nothing.

Oh BTW... (For the readers of my previous thread.) Triggering chords using the E-68 works swimmingly. :D I picked it up used on Ebay for 185.00 and this is the ticket!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

vlad335,

I am not an expert on MIDI, but I do have a PK-5 (Roland MIDI footpedal controller). Since no one else has responded, I'll take a stab at this. Let me start by asking some questions about your setup.

Question 1: when you say that you are using the PK-5 to trigger chords on the E-68, are you using the "sound module" which is built into to E-68 to generate the actual sounds? Or, are you sending the MIDI output from the E-68 to something else (the GW-7?) to use its "sound module" to generate the actual sounds?

Question 2: when you are using the PK-5 to trigger chords on the E-68, is that the only thing you are using the E-68 for (during that song)? Meaning, do you also press keys on the E-68's keyboard, during the same song as when you press pedals on the PK-5 to trigger chords on the E-68?

I don't fully understand what you are doing, and my setup seems different: I have an M-Audio 88es (very basic MIDI keyboard controller) which sends its MIDI output via MIDI channel 1 into the PK-5, and then my PK-5 sends its MIDI output on MIDI channel 2, with both of these signals reaching my Roland XV-5050 (sound module) via a single cable. I have set up Performances in my sound module to allow me to cause multiple notes to trigger when I press a single pedal on the PK-5. Usually I have to set up a separate Performance for each different song for which I do this (and hope the song has no modulations).

A quick Google search on the E-68 seems to show it supports Performances, so I am wondering if you can do the same thing. I'm not sure if this helps, but at least you'll get a bump!

The MIDI solutions merger will merge two incoming midi signals into one. The MIDI solutions thru will split one midi signal into two:

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodthr.htm

There are larger versions of these products that will split/merge larger combinations of signals. And there are even processors that re-channlize, etc.

I think that is what you need at a basic level. Alternatively, if you see my post about midi interfaces, you could get a Midi interface and use it to split the midi signal from the PK5. This may give you the flexibility to change your midi routings on the fly.

Jerry

THanks for the replies!

I have been noodling with this setup for a couple days and figured out a couple things. The biggie is that the E-68 MIDI Rxtx channels can be set. I am using the "Note To Arranger" function on the E-68 and set this to receive on channel 4. I take a midi cable out of the PK-5 into the E-68 then out to the GW-7. Problem now is that the GW-7 is being triggered to play Drums and bass which I have removed from the E-68 for my purposes. Its also changing my programs on the GW-7. To top it all off... Its playing the notes on the GW-7 out of tune since I transpose down a half step to fit my band. If I go into the GW-7 first, the NTA doesn't work! ARGGGHHHH!

Neither KB has a midi thru jack, which I have learned would solve my problems. (Thanks Tusker!)

Hoeever, I just purchased this... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MIDI-Solutions-2Output-Active-MIDI-Thru-Box?sku=702507

I can go out of my PK-5 and split the signal there.

I think this will work... Maybe.

Originally posted by harmonizer:

vlad335,

Question 1: when you say that you are using the PK-5 to trigger chords on the E-68, are you using the "sound module" which is built into to E-68 to generate the actual sounds? Or, are you sending the MIDI output from the E-68 to something else (the GW-7?) to use its "sound module" to generate the actual sounds?

I am using the E-68's Note to Arranger function which is norally transmit/received on channel 14. I am taking out the bass and drums on the arranger and playing Bass guitar myself.

Question 2: when you are using the PK-5 to trigger chords on the E-68, is that the only thing you are using the E-68 for (during that song)? Meaning, do you also press keys on the E-68's keyboard, during the same song as when you press pedals on the PK-5 to trigger chords on the E-68?

Not pressing any keys... Just using the NTA function. Problem is which I stated above, feeding the MIDI out to the GW-7 is causing all kind of bizarre events.

I don't fully understand what you are doing, and my setup seems different: I have an M-Audio 88es (very basic MIDI keyboard controller) which sends its MIDI output via MIDI channel 1 into the PK-5, and then my PK-5 sends its MIDI output on MIDI channel 2, with both of these signals reaching my Roland XV-5050 (sound module) via a single cable. I have set up Performances in my sound module to allow me to cause multiple notes to trigger when I press a single pedal on the PK-5. Usually I have to set up a separate Performance for each different song for which I do this (and hope the song has no modulations).

A quick Google search on the E-68 seems to show it supports Performances, so I am wondering if you can do the same thing. I'm not sure if this helps, but at least you'll get a bump!

Very interesting. I found the manual on line last night and printed it out at work. It does support Performances and I will have to delve into this section and see what I can accomplish. Thanks for the idea!

I got the E-68 at a helluva price on Ebay. The guy selling it had zero feedback and I think this was scaring other bidders away. Roland support confirmed that this KB would work for what I wanted to do so thats why I went with it.

Thanks for your post. Your bump got the suggestion for the MIDI thru box which may just solve everything. I spoke with a KB player that I used to play with years ago and he recommended a MIDI patchbay. Very hard to find and cost a couple hundred dollars if you can find one.

Archived