Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Replacing battery in K2500

SolipsismX

My good ol' K2500 has finally required a battery replacement, and I just wanted to know if I need to back up my sequences when I take out the batteries or not. The reason I ask is that I'm having trouble backing things up with it (specifically mounting the disk so I can just back things up on floppy discs) and I don't have the money to service it right (and probably won't for a while). I know how to replace the batteries, I just don't know if I should find another way to save the sequences. I mostly use the sequencer to compose pieces, and I'd forget how to play them all if I lost them.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My battery is low as well and I'll be changing it soon. Your best bet is to leave it plugged in while changing the battery so you don't lose power to your keyboard and lose your saved information.

One thing you might want to look into is an exterior hd so you can transfer your user programs, setups, and sequences for the keyboard if you are having troubles with the floppy drive. I've seen several scsi exterior harddrives available on ebay from time to time and at a decent price.

Darkon the Incandescent

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!

My advice : don't delay to back-up. Use another software to receive the complete SYSEX dump from the K2500. You never know when a failure can happen.

I would hara-kiri myself losing all the programs I did for my synths. Probably a few thousands hours of work total. :freak:

Originally posted by Darkon the Incandescent:

Your best bet is to leave it plugged in while changing the battery so you don't lose power to your keyboard and lose your saved information.

:eek:

Let me get this straight... you're advising that someone leave their electronic gear plugged into 120VAC while they open and service it?

Do you also advise playing in traffic and running with scissors? :rolleyes:

This is absolutely horrific advice, and I would advise you to please stop offering it, before someone injures themselves (or worse).

I know I've bemoaned the lack of common sense in some forum posts in the past, but this absolutely takes the cake. :freak:

Fun advice all around :)

But it is correct for me to assume I will lose all of my info when I take the batteries out right?

Like I've said, I'm having a hard time dumping the system because when I go to "DISK" and try to do ANYTHING to the SCSI 6 (where my info is at) it keeps saying it is having trouble mounting disk.

I ended up recording nearly 70 bits of sequences into protools which took me a couple hours. I'm probably going to replace the batteries (unplugged :) ) and lose any of my samples (nothing too important) unless somebody has any other ideas coming within the next day or two.

SCSI 6 is the default ID of the Kurzweil itself. If you have a SCSI disk drive, you need to set the ID of the drive to something other than 6.

You actually don't need to "open" the K2500 to change the batteries. Its a small compartment underneath the keyboard.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Originally posted by SolipsismX:

But it is correct for me to assume I will lose all of my info when I take the batteries out right?

Yes, this will erase the PRAM (sequences/programs). You'll loose any samples when you shut off the power.

To be clear, your floppy drive does not work?

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Originally posted by Mike Martin:

You actually don't need to "open" the K2500 to change the batteries. Its a small compartment underneath the keyboard.

Mike, your first message about the "AA" batteries had me confused, and now I've taken a moment to check the thread, and see that I was mistaken; I thought the O.P. had a K2600, not a K2500. The former uses the ubiquitous CR2032 battery, and requires opening the unit to replace; that is the source of my strongly worded message above.

So, a disclaimer, only for the Kurzweil K2500, which is incredibly unique in this regard, is that yes, it's okay to leave the keyboard plugged in while opening the dedicated battery cover to replace the AA batteries in that unit. No other situation should see a unit opened while connected to AC power.

To that extent, this also serves as an apology to Darkon for my harsh reply. Hower, having witnessed a person lose a finger in a bizarre accident (getting a jolt of 120VAC while 'servicing' an opened and powered stereo receiver, which caused an involuntary muscle contraction of this person's arm, which flew upwards and struck the sharpened metal edge of the shelf above his workbench, almost completely severing his index finger), I'm not going to back down much from the intent of my reply.

Of course, had the O.P. checked the Reference Manual for their keyboard (which is available online from the Kurzweil website), this entire discussion could have been avoided entirely. :rolleyes: Pertinent section of said manual is cited below.

The K2500 uses batteries to preserve its internal memory when the power is turned off. The

original batteries should last up to two years before they need replacing. Replacement is necessary when the LCD says BATTERY VOLTAGE IS LOW during power-up, or when you notice that the LEDs flash three times instead of once during power-up. Once these warnings begin to occur, the batteries should be replaced within a couple of weeks to ensure continued safety of your RAM objects.

To replace the batteries, youll need access to the rear panel. Remove the battery compartment

cover, which is located at the lower right corner of the rear panel as you face it. You may wish to use a small screwdriver. Replace the batteries with three high quality AA size heavy duty or alkaline batteries. A capacitor will keep the memory alive for about 30 seconds while changing the batteries, so dont remove the old ones until the new ones are available.

Alternatively, it is permissible to have the power cable plugged in and the power on while changing the batteries, in which case memory will be retained as long as power is on. Be sure to insert the new batteries in the proper direction (the positive terminals should be pointing out). Incorrect insertion wont damage anything but the memory wont receive any power from the batteries.

Most quality brand-name batteries now have sell by dates printed on their package. Carbonzinc

batteries will last for at least a year after installation while alkaline batteries should last for at least 2 years provided they are installed before the date on the package.

Rechargeable batteries should not be used; the K2500 will not recharge them and their life after charging on

an external charger will be only a few months. Battery life is not significantly increased by

leaving your K2500 on all the time; batteries may even suffer heat degradation if the K2500 is

left on continuously.

Thanks Sven for that info... and for the record, I DID check my manual. When I looked up "replacing batteries" it directed me to the 2-2 section of the guide which only describes HOW to change the batteries (which is why I said I knew how). It doesn't mention anything about leaving the power on and retaining memory. Keep in mind the keyboard came with a LOT of literature so maybe the info was in another one of the books other than the Performance Guide.

Originally posted by Darkon the Incandescent:

No problem Sven...looking back, if I didn't own a K2500XS I would have thought the same thing you did :)

Thanks for understanding, Darkon. :thu:

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, A Joyous Festivus, or a similarly wonderful holiday celebration that applies to you. ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Sven Golly:

:eek:

Let me get this straight... you're advising that someone leave their electronic gear plugged into 120VAC while they open and service it?

Do you also advise playing in traffic and running with scissors? :rolleyes:

This is absolutely horrific advice, and I would advise you to please stop offering it, before someone injures themselves (or worse).

I know I've bemoaned the lack of common sense in some forum posts in the past, but this absolutely takes the cake. :wave: thnx for the cake...

"style is determined not by what you can play but what you cant...." dave brubeck

Archived