Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jimmy Page and The Black Crowes

I heard Stairway To Heaven on the radio this morning which made me think about the CD that Jimmy Page put out with The Black Crowes, covering a lot of the old Zeppelin hits. Ever heard it? I thought it was great. I've never been a big fan of Robert Plant's voice and the stuff Page did with the Black Crowes is vantastic(sic), but I wonder how Robert Plant felt about that. Here's his partner for many, many, years redoing their classic material. Did he see that as a slight from Page? Did Page talk to Plant before that came out? Seems weird to me, like he was deliberately saying to Plant "IN YOUR FACE".

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah... I heard it. I got about four promo copies when I worked at my old music mag. I thought it was cool -- the drummer does a great Bonzo impression, the guitars are on point and the bass is sweet. Then there's Chris Robinson. To him I say this: I know Robert Plant. You, sir, are no Robert Plant. He's the weakest part of the whole thing, if you ask me. Don't get me wrong. I think he's a good singer in his own right, but he makes the band sound like an average Led Zeppelin tribute band. That's just me. Overall, it's a nice record, and I like hearing Jimmy Page playing with that talented band. I'm not sure I needed it on a CD, though.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Yeah... I see your point. Plant DOES have a kinda whiney thing happening sometimes. I have a little trouble getting all the way through "The Song Remains The Same" sometimes. Robinson is OK. I generally don't enjoy the way he covers Zep, though. Go blow a moose, Wewus.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Dude... You haven't LIVED until you've had moose. Or so I've heard. You may wanna ask someone from The Archies about those bi-sexual beastiality sites. I've heard things. Is it possible that we're the only two people alove this morning?

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Whoops... Nobody was supposed to know about that. Dammit. Lennon said we have to hide our love away.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]Just personal preference I guess. [/b][/quote]I guess,I liked Page in the latter part of the Yardbirds and the 1st Zepplin album and 1 or 2 songs on Zepplin 2,nothing else.The Black Crows?,don't even register.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

I thought it was great; there's a lot of two guitar parts that Zeppelin couldn't have done live that Rich Robinson obviously worked out in detail with Plant. Very, very well done IMO. Actually, I thought Chris Robinson was the best part. He hit all the notes really well, plenty of headroom to his voice while singing some really hard bits - and pulled it off with panache, which is where soooo many people fail when they "cover" Zeppelin. BUT the coolest thing was that Chris Robinson *sounded like Chris Robinson*. He didn't try to sound like Plant. He did his own take on the tunes, and did it very well I think. I wish they could talk Page into writing something with them...

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

I have to admit, it sounded pretty good. When I was doing a survey at McDonald`s some years ago, the crowes walked in and took a break-I guess they were on their way back to Atlanta. When they left, the only one to give me any notice was rich robinson, who saw my white shirt and tie and practically sneered out loud. buncha jerks, as far as I`m concerned.

[quote]Originally posted by skip: [b]I have to admit, it sounded pretty good. When I was doing a survey at McDonald`s some years ago, the crowes walked in and took a break-I guess they were on their way back to Atlanta. When they left, the only one to give me any notice was rich robinson, who saw my white shirt and tie and practically sneered out loud. buncha jerks, as far as I`m concerned.[/b][/quote]I'd love a sneer from that POSER! That episode would have gotten ugly over here. Disco.

Archived