Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

1st rehearsal with Casio Privia PX-310

Jeff_D_in_MD

I played a Casio Privia PX-310 for an extended period today for the first time and found it quite satisfactory. Our band's founder very kindly bought one of these for his practice space so that I would not need to lug my Yamaha P-120 to rehearsals. I played it for three hours and found the action very pleasant. The Casio's piano voices are not perfect, but were fine for rehearsing with a rock band (mainly Grateful Dead covers). I did not like the electric piano and jazz organ patches as much as the P-120's, but did not have a chance to explore all the options without loud musicians playing at the same time. I'd use the Casio as backup on a gig if my P-120 conked out.

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's cool. Do you or anyone know if the PX-310 has the same or different piano sound as the CDP-100? I found the piano in the 100 a bit problematic with certain styles/techniques, esp. in the midrange where the notes sounded blurred together. The action is good though, and is even better when you use a killer piano sound, such as Ivory! :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I don't know if the PX-310 and CDP-100 have the same piano sound. The PX-310 seemed more useful for our rehearsal room because it had more sounds and the standard complement of outputs.

I will not be using a virtual piano such as Ivory because I would prefer not to deal with a computer while playing music (having spent every business day for the past 20 years either in front of a computer or in meetings about computers), and also because the piano sound is good enough when it is mixed with electric guitars, bass and drums. I would have no problems with plugging the PX-310 into a hardware module, however.

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

I was under the impression they used the same 3 layer piano? ??

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 800 of Harry's solo piano arrangements and tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas These arrangements are for teaching solo piano chording using Harry's 2+2 harmony method.

Archived