Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steinberg / Cubase Users - Help!!!!

raddtunes

I've lost my USB dongle while moving my studio from basement to garage. Stupid. I know. Believe me.

Steinberg has informed me that they do not replace dongles - period. They say I must repurchase the program - at full price. Between Cubase SX3 and Virtual Guitarist 2 - I believe that's about $1100.

At the very least - let this serve as a warning to my fellow Cubase users - don't lose your dongle. Insure it if there's a way.

Anyone with any advice - PLEASE chime in. Thanks.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by B3-er:

I've read on the Cubase forums that Steinberg will replace a dongle once. It seems silly not to replace it at all.

Sorry, but everything I've read there says the opposite. Everybody could claim to have lost it and get a second one, how can they check? I fear there is no hope... :(

Guess the Amp

.... now it's finished...

Here it is!

Actually, you should be able to replace both programs for a total cost of $850 or less.

However, is there any chance the Steinberg Key ($25) will get you back into the programs?

If not, it is an expensive loss. Try to find that d*mn dongle man! :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

all info i've seen says no dongle no washy...

no exceptions... pisses me off... thnx to people running cracks i as a legit user have to put up with this.... and suffer to some degree a slower app as it does it's repeated dongle calls....

"style is determined not by what you can play but what you cant...." dave brubeck

Will Wright was asked whether Electronic Arts had any plans to get rid of the CD as "authentication" for The Sims 2. (e.g., PITA when on the road with laptop.) He said he didn't think so... but that he just downloaded the crack. :D

Originally posted by dementedchord:

all info i've seen says no dongle no washy...

no exceptions... pisses me off... thnx to people running cracks i as a legit user have to put up with this.... and suffer to some degree a slower app as it does it's repeated dongle calls....

One minute people want "open" platform, the next minute they complain about the effects of cracks... what's it to be?

Thanks to all for the moral support etc. - it really helps. I'm researching several options - other programs, borrowing the money to re-purchase, even contacting consumer protection agencies in my state. (yes - as in, I know this was in the manual, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's legal)

To Quote the great Craig Anderton - "it's the jerks who crack software" that really create this problem. (ok, plus my own carelessness).

Thanks again y'all - - Any other words of wisdom/advice/encouragement for the Radd man out there?

Originally posted by soundscape:

]

One minute people want "open" platform, the next minute they complain about the effects of cracks... what's it to be? [/QB]

would death to pirates seem overly harsh??? :wave:

"style is determined not by what you can play but what you cant...." dave brubeck

• 2 weeks later...

Five years ago I purchased a new computer and plunked down around $500 or so for Steinberg's top of the line Cubase VST 32.

I had a terrible time with it. My computer crashed all the time. I had MIDI timing issues-all sorts of stuff. Essentially I never really got it to work very well. I even tried it with a newer computer two years later after researching issues like chipset compatability-Intel vs AMD etc.... it still sucked!

This has deterred me from ever wanting to try newer versions of Cubase, perhaps wrongly so. In the meantime I have had no problems with programs like Ableton, Acid, Pro Tools, even Cool Edit (now Audition), but that damned dongle is just another reason I don't believe I'll be visiting the Steinberg house any time soon.

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

I am a long time user of Cubase among other Steinberg products. Dongles can be replaced if damaged or lost, providing you contact your distribuor and provide your licensing number and serial number of the program, and assuming you registered your product at time of purchase. It is prudent that both are kept on file in the event of such loss. Just so I'm clear, Dongles can be replaced. How about this for an analogy, if you lose your electronic secured ignition key for your car, do you have to purchase a new car? Same applies to your software. If you post your question on cubase.net (official Steinberg forum) you will get the same answer.

from the FAQs section of steinberg sute...

2. Procedures for lost / defective USB keys2.1. I have accidentally lost my USB key! Does it get replaced by Steinberg?

A simple answer: No. You are solely responsible for the USB key and the contained licenses. If you lost your key the only solution is to buy the products/licenses again. Imagine you have lost your watch: Would you get a replacement from the manufacturer? Most likely not. Keep your USB key safe! It is not a problem to replace manuals, installation media or other components but not an USB key with licenses!

Thanks for chiming in y'all!

After this episode, I've simply modified my opinion that if Steinberg must adhere to this policy, that they need to post substantial, visually imposing labeling on the outside of the package, immediately on the inside of the package, and also on the plastic little thingie where it comes in the package. A concise rephrase of the language dementedchord cites above would suffice.

This practice on their part would make this policy a LOT easier to tolerate.

Edgar - sorry about your problems with Cubase, and with all the choices you have these days, I can only say that it's a fantastic program, and their merger with Yamaha has produced some slamming new stuff. Good luck.

Tonyggg - howdy. I'd SO like the information you're stating to be correct, but it's in contradiction to everyone I've talked to - including Steinberg, Guitar Center, and several members of the Motifator dot com folks where there was also a very robust and productive thread during this episode.

Dementedchord - thanks for taking the time to paste that quote in. I'm hoping NOBODY has to go through what I just did, and perhaps this discussion will help get the word out.

Archived