Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond A100

squabs217

Hey everyone. In my last post, I described a problem with the lower keys not working on my A100. I've since learned that the preset keys on the lower row don't stay "clicked" down. I wedged a piece of cardboard beteween the keys so that I can play, but how can I fix this permenatly ? Is this a fairly common problem. Thanks in advance for any input. Oh yeah, I forgot to ask about the input jack next to the power jack, is it the line out for a Leslie cab ?
Her first baby come out sideways...she didn't scream or nothin'

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the similar problem with the preset tabs on the upper manual of my band's A-102. Sometimes the keys stick, sometimes they don't. If you pound too hard on the upper manual, the preset key will come unlatched.

Now, I haven't done anything about it yet, but in my search for possible repair tips, I did find this:

A-100 Service Manual

Scroll about halfway down the page to the section titled "Operation of Mechanism on Preset Keys." It has information regarding how the mechanism works as well as instructions on how to replace the "Cradle return spring."

Of course, this may not be the problem with your Hammond, but I'm sure there's some one here who's encountered this problem before; hopefully they'll chime in.

As far as the jack on the power supply, that's for connecting a Hammond Tone Cabinet to the organ. It is not a Leslie output jack. I'm pretty sure hooking up a Leslie to that jack would cause a lot of damage to the Leslie's electronic components.

Hope this info helps!

-Rich

Are you sure that none of the preset keys on the lower manual stay down? The reason I ask relates to how the presets work mechanically.

Underneath each preset key is a small tab of metal that sticks out just a hair beyond the front of the key. You can't see it because it's hidden by the black rail. When you press a key, this tab presses down on a metal tube that is mounted on a spring loaded hinge. As the tab hits the metal tube, it slides the tube out of the way and when it clears the tube, the tube snaps back into its original position because of the spring. Thus, it locks that key down. As you may know, the very first black key © releases the presets by pressing that tube down for as long as you hold the key.

So, if only one or two preset keys will not stay down, it means the litle tabs on those keys are either bent (unlikely) or broken (most likely). If all the keys are not staying down, it probably means the whole contraption is out of alignment in some way. I suppose ALL the tabs could be broken, but I really doubt it.

As for the "input jack" next to the "power jack"... I'm not sure what you're referring to. What does it look like? Does it have multiple pins and look sort of like a tube socket or is it a jack like something you'd plug a guitar into?

Like B3er says:

one or two preset keys not staying down => metal tabs on keys likely damaged.

all preset keys not staying down => return spring damaged or missing.

If the jack (output, not input!) looks like a tube socket, how many pins does it have? Is there a leslie speed switch mounted on your organ?

Moe

---

You should be able to remove the left cheekblock on the bottom manual pretty easily. This will get you a look at the end of the latch mechanism and maybe the spring.

Look under the keyboard on the left end and you ought to see two screw heads that hold the cheek block on. Remove those and see what you can see.

Moe

---

Hammond Kid, Mate Stubb, and B3er, thanks for your responses. From your replies, I've gathered that the spring must be broken or missing, so I'll try to go the route of fixing it that way. As for the jack next to the power jack, it's got 5 pin slots. The slots are flat and not round. I noticed on my M3 that the speaker connects to the preamp with round pins, and the jack on my A100 looks entirely different. Thanks for taking the time to help me.
Her first baby come out sideways...she didn't scream or nothin'

Originally posted by The Hammond Kid:

As far as the jack on the power supply, that's for connecting a Hammond Tone Cabinet to the organ. It is not a Leslie output jack. I'm pretty sure hooking up a Leslie to that jack would cause a lot of damage to the Leslie's electronic components.

After reading B3-er's and mate_stubb's posts, I will temporarily retract this statement. :o

It is certainly possible that your Hammond could have a Leslie kit installed on it. In my excitement to provide my first bit of real advice here on the KC , I overlooked this important fact (rookie mistake, I guess :rolleyes::D )

Anyways, as mate_stubb says:

Originally posted by mate_stubb:

Take a pic of that connector and post it.

This will certainly help determine if the connector is indeed for a Leslie or for something else.

Archived