Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI causing huge problems....Stumped!

mwdiehl

Hey everyone! Just got a new Fantom X8 delivered, and I'm attempting to connect it via MIDI to my Kurz PC1X. I'm using a single midi cable from the "out" of the Fantom to the "in" of the Kurzweil (treating the Fantom as the master and the PC1X as the slave).

I can control the Kurz from the Fantom, but when I'm playing the Fantom, I'm also hearing the Kurz setups. The only way I can get these sounds is to either unplug the MIDI cable, or turn the volume down all the way on the Kurzweil.

I spoke to Roland for a fair amount of time tonight, and they told me unless I had 2 MIDI cables conencting these units together, there's no way I could hear the Kurzweil patches on the Fantom.

Am I going crazy, or is there something very basic I'm overlooking?

As always, everyone's thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Matt

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is normal, since when you play on the Fantom, it sends data on the MIDI channel defined in the setups/programs you use and the Kurzweil receives it. For example, if you use a set-up that has a layer/split playing on MIDI channel 1 and another on MIDI channel 3, the Kurzweil will respond to all data it receives on MIDI channels 1 and 3, unless you disable them on the Kurzweil. To do this, simply go to the MIDI Receive menu and turn them off. :wave:

Originally posted by mwdiehl:

I can control the Kurz from the Fantom, but when I'm playing the Fantom, I'm also hearing the Kurz setups. The only way I can get these sounds is to either unplug the MIDI cable, or turn the volume down all the way on the Kurzweil.

Read that paragraph again, Matt... specifically the part I italicized. On the whole, that section is contradictory.

Am I going crazy, or is there something very basic I'm overlooking?

Aside from how MIDI works, nope... not a thing. ;)

As always, everyone's thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Grab a cup of coffee, or a beer, or whatever your relaxing beverage of choice might be, and devote a half hour or so to reading the MIDI Basics series of articles on the Sound On Sound website (yes, read them in numerical order from 1 to 5, not in the order they appear on the search page ;) ). That should clear up any confusion you're having.

Good luck! :wave:

I'm not hip to the MIDI controller functions on the X8, but there usually is a parameter that allows you to activate/deactivate your "slave" synths for each MIDI setup. If not, I'm reasonably sure this function is available on the Kurzweil, if you ever decided to use the PC-1X as the controller and the X8 as the slave.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Ultimately, as connected, the Fantom is in control of the show here. The PC1 is just a slave and, no, there is nothing you must do "special" to make it a slave. Connect to its MIDI in, that's it. The rest falls on the Fantom to accomplish.

To do what you want, the Fantom needs to be set (if possible) to ONLY send bank/program change messages (on the designated "Setup Chg Chan", PC1 Global Mode) and NOT notes or any other MIDI data. You will probably need to create a Setup (or equivalent in Roland speak, a "Performance" I think?) on the Fantom where one zone is designated to act strictly as the sender of bank/program changes to the PC1 (Fantom MIDI out) and all other zones are are set to Local or Internal, so those data streams do not get sent to the PC1 causing unwanted notes to be triggered etc.

I can't tell you how to program the Fantom in this manner (or if it is even possible) but I can say the PC1 is capable of functioning in this manner, so alternatively you could reverse things and use the PC1 as the master here.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Jean Robert Bellefeuille

Manager of Technical and Customer Support

Kurzweil Music Systems

support at kurzweil dot com

www.kurzweil.com

The Fantom can send and receive on up to 16 MIDI channels in Performance mode. The Kurzweil, four channel in Setup mode. To make life simpler for yourself, I would just designate one to four channels that you will use on the Kurzweil, e.g. 13 - 16. Create Setups on the Kurzweil that respond to MIDI channels 13+. Create Performances on the Fantom that use the other MIDI channels for internal sounds and 13 - 16 for external.

You will have to press the EDIT button and "program" both synths. I'm only saying this because for some people this is traumatic.

Busch.

Firstly,

A most sincere thanks to all of you for your great feedback! As it is pretty evident, even though I've been playing keys for many, many years, this is my first step into the world of MIDI.

I'm getting things to work, but it's been a little "creative engineering" on my part until I can take the time to do things the right way. Unfortunately, I joined a new band about a month ago, and I have 2 weeks until the gigs start with them...Add on top the fact that I juse added a Fantom to my gear, and I think it's safe to say I'm a little behind the ball.

I'll keep you all in the loop with how things go, but again it is GREAT to have such a wonderful support group to help out!!!!!

Thanks everyone!

Matt

In case anyone was curious on how this turned out, I ended up contacting midi solutions and spoke with a great sales guy who pointed me in the right direction. I needed a product that would filter out all transmission MIDI messages with the exception of program bank change information. There is an item called a midi event processor that is used to customize MIDI messages.

In case any of you have similar application needs, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this company, as they had provided EXCEPTIONAL pre-sales support.

Archived