Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New soft piano from VSL

EricG

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just listened to one of the demos--not bad, but way too much reverb, such that imperfections are hard to hear.

"For the first time in the long history of piano sampling, the sound of the piano in its resonating state with the sustain (damper) pedal depressed has been captured. This results in the physically correct recreation of the pianos resonant character in both pedal-down and pedal-up positions. With the Bösendorfer Imperial Vienna Instrument there are no sample manipulations, no fades between tones, and no DSP calculations, just an absolutely natural acoustic image of the actual processes that occur during piano playing."

Read: We don't have any technology.

It's "a classical thing". To classical music users, all the sample libraries with no room ambience are "a disappointment". From reading some of their forums, they feel that for their uses they prefer that their libraries have sampled ambience. I know that that philosophy runs contrary to everything I've ever learned about recording, but what can you do? The thought of trying to mix a piece that combines multiple sampled rooms from several different libraries sounds nuts to me. Since the VSL strings are one of the few libs recorded dry, does this new piano give you the option to shut off the room ambience?

Er, don't classical guys have a Lexicon lying around?

(BTW, are these guys experienced in the use of samples/synths... or just now coming around to using them?)

OK, assuming it's a good thing--only if you can shut it off right down to a fully dry mix--and even then, I can only imagine it's an additional disaster area in obtaining/editing a consistent set of samples.

Originally posted by cnegrad:

The thought of trying to mix a piece that combines multiple sampled rooms from several different libraries sounds nuts to me.

Quite.

"Apart from the acoustic perspective of the pianist, the user is also provided with concert hall audience perspective, for proper imaging on the orchestral stage. Each of the two listening positions totals at 4,675 samples."

Not clear on the level of ambience provided in each, though.

Er, don't classical guys have a Lexicon lying around?
To them, a sampled room is more authentic than using a Lex, or even a convolution reverb ir to simulate a room. (I know...I know...)

(BTW, are these guys experienced in the use of samples/synths... or just now coming around to using them?)
Actually they are VERY experienced at using them, but have a very different approach and philosophy. Go figure...

Originally posted by cnegrad:

Actually they are VERY experienced at using them, but have a very different approach and philosophy. Go figure...
Huh? :eek: You'd think they'd have learnt a few "hard earned" lessons by now.

Originally posted by soundscape:

"For the first time in the long history of piano sampling, the sound of the piano in its resonating state with the sustain (damper) pedal depressed has been captured.

I don't believe this statement is accurate on VSL part. I do remember one of the early Gigapianos record with only pedal down samples. It's a very ambient sound; very appropriate for some music and not for others.

Busch.

I assume what you're hearing in the demos is artifical hall reverb. I would be surprised if this piano was not recorded on the VSL stage. The VSL Stage is unique in that it is large enough to accommodate a large number of performers, e.g. string sectionals, yet with a very controlled amount of ambience. The VSL samples do have some natural ambience but not the long tails of a concert hall. This is a very different philosophy from EWQL which were recorded in a hall and all of that is captured. If you want to hear DRY, listen to the acoustic samples on the Yamaha synths without FXs and reverb. We're talking anechoic chamber.

Busch.

Originally posted by burningbusch:

I assume what you're hearing in the demos is artifical hall reverb.

It may, in part, be the pedal down sound. It's just overwhelming at some points on the first demo.

Originally posted by burningbusch:

If you want to hear DRY, listen to the acoustic samples on the Yamaha synths without FXs and reverb. We're talking anechoic chamber.

As you might guess, that's my preference.

Archived