Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Band in a Box 2007 - REAL DRUMS

burningbusch

Originally posted by MaFunk:

Will doing this give me the melody + chords in a stave structure?

I just need a printout of the main screen as it is with the large chord symbols as they are when you play the song. Dont want to be pain with silly Q's like this but i dont have a printer at home so i need to get it ready to printout at work.

Yes, it will do this.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by soundscape:

Originally posted by Jazzwee:

OK. I sprung for this thing. But I have gigabytes to download !!!!!!

:eek: BBIAB is basically a non-real-time arranger, right...?
Sure -- but my "Real Man" status has always been questioned anyway. :D

But this is really useful for practice. Normally, I make my own and it is really time consuming. I have fixed drum audio (at various tempos and styles). I add a bass line, then I've got to figure out comping. It's time consuming. I have to practice, not noodle on the computer doing recordings.

Lately, I've been lazy and I just set an arpeggiated drum and solo to that. No bass, nothing else beyond my left hand. Hard to get in the groove with this method.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

OK. I sprung for this thing. But I have gigabytes to download !!!!!!

:eek: BBIAB is basically a non-real-time arranger, right...?
Yes, kind of the point of the thread. BIAB has moved away from MIDI drums to audio drums. These are non-compressed 16-bit WAV files. Each includes a three to four minute drum style with intro, fills, pattern variations, endings, etc. These are done at multiple tempos. It's not unusual for a complete style to be 200MB in size.

Busch.

Originally posted by linwood:

Buy it. It's worth the price just to see what Miles Black is doing.

Last time I checked it out BIAB looked pretty good for learning 'patterns' that you could play but I wasn't that impressed by the stuff there. Maybe the current version has better stuff or the better styles don't come with the demo...?

Originally posted by burningbusch:

Yes, kind of the point of the thread. BIAB has moved away from MIDI drums to audio drums. These are non-compressed 16-bit WAV files. Each includes a three to four minute drum style with intro, fills, pattern variations, endings, etc. These are done at multiple tempos. It's not unusual for a complete style to be 200MB in size. .

I can see that if it's done well it would make sense and may be highly desirable for certain styles, but to me, that's actually worse, 'cause you can always pinch MIDI data and mess about with it for your own use. Or use whatever MIDI triggered drum sounds you prefer, etc.

Does it allow you to choose between the recorded drums and the MIDI versions?

Apparently, the demo is the 2006 version. I downloaded an old version and it didn't sound good. But now, I understand why. The MIDI stuff can be played via VST so you can use the best sounding piano, etc. With the audio drums, that makes a big improvement. What I was looking for really was the jazz brushes, since I had no way of doing that before.

I listened to the posted sample and it sounded good enough for a BIAB. So I bought it.

I will take 3 days to download all the files though.

Apparently, the demo is the 2006 version. I downloaded an old version and it didn't sound good. But now, I understand why. The MIDI stuff can be played via VST so you can use the best sounding piano, etc. With the audio drums, that makes a big improvement. What I was looking for really was the jazz brushes, since I had no way of doing that before.

Hmm, I'm just downloading the demo... oh cr*p, it's version 12 which is the demo version I already have.

The default 'QuickTime' soundset in Mac OS X can be replaced by a better soundfont, so by default General MIDI sounds for me are OK. (I got fed up with hearing those sounds whenever I listened to a MIDI on the Web.)

I will take 3 days to download all the files though.

THREE DAYS?!??!!? How big is the download?

Does it allow you to choose between the recorded drums and the MIDI versions?

With the package, you still have the "old" (i.e. with midi drums) styles, but trust me: once you try the Real Drums there is no going back... I am actually converting to "Real Drums" all my favorite BIAB songs. :thu:
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Get the jazz/mordern jazz/new age stuff, if you wanna learn that type of stuff. There are some great midi files done in the styles of, say... Herbie, Chick, Oscar. Keith, etc. and the guys nail it. Great learning tool, for me anyway.

THREE DAYS?!??!!? How big is the download?

There lies the problem. There is no label to indicate what size it is before you buy (at least nothing obvious to me). Even as I download, some items have a size label. But the ones with no size label are 200mb each.

I've only downloaded 3 files out of 25. This would not normally be a big concern. However, they only allow you 72 hours do download EVERYTHING. The server was down last night. So I have 60 hours left. This means I cannot leave my computer or I lose the chance! Well I emailed tech support about the server being down.

There lies the problem. There is no label to indicate what size it is before you buy (at least nothing obvious to me). Even as I download, some items have a size label. But the ones with no size label are 200mb each.

I've only downloaded 3 files out of 25. This would not normally be a big concern. However, they only allow you 72 hours do download EVERYTHING. The server was down last night. So I have 60 hours left. This means I cannot leave my computer or I lose the chance! Well I emailed tech support about the server being down.

Maybe you need to get download manager software?

200Mb... let's say you have a 10Mbit/s broadband connection... well, let's say you only get 5Mbit/s... should only take 5 minutes?

5 minutes! Are you crazy man? They're not going to feed you the data at 10mbit. You'll be sharing with hundreds of other downloaders so it's snails pace. Maybe an hour a file (when fast). But I've already done repeat downloads here because it sometimes fails after you've already downloaded a 100 meg.

Soundscape, this is a Windows deal. The Mac version is ancient, version 12. Since version 12, the Windows version has gone to 2004, 2006 and now 2007.

:eek: Yikes. Thanks... I had no idea. I've really gotta check out a newer version then, I'll get 2006 demo for Windows.

BTW, the "New Features" video demonstrates that you can switch between "real" drums and MIDI drums. So they're still there. Cool.

How well does the "Audio to Chords" feature work? Apparently it's supposed to do a good job of the bassline as well? If this works pretty well, I'm buying BIAB 2007 for sure.

Jazwee, aren't they sending you the actual CDs as well? I thought that was standard.

Busch.

I guess not. It said electronic delivery only. So this must be the effect of a discounted price. I've being selective with my downloads. I'm picking only the jazz related real drums first.

I'm excited to see what this can do.

http://64.40.99.154/mididemo/sty65/bakbeat.mid

(Ignoring MIDI drums) is this about the quality of the current styles? This one says it requires BIAB 2006 or higher.

The one I just purchased is 2007. And as Busch indicated, "real drums" (audio) is new on the 2007 version so the 2006 demos aren't going to show it. There's a link earlier on this thread of someone creating music with 2007 and real drums.

I don't know if there were 2007 demo recordings available on that site. I didn't see.

http://64.40.99.154/mididemo/sty65/bakbeat.mid

(Ignoring MIDI drums) is this about the quality of the current styles? This one says it requires BIAB 2006 or higher.

The one I just purchased is 2007. And as Busch indicated, "real drums" (audio) is new on the 2007 version so the 2006 demos aren't going to show it. There's a link earlier on this thread of someone creating music with 2007 and real drums.
I've just posted the link above with the 'real' drums.

The old styles I'm familar with (that came with the version 12 demo) were really 'static' but that clip sounds like there's a whole lot more interesting comps and fills going on.

What is the real drummers name? He could become the most used drummer of all time.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Now when I listen to that mp3 demo the drummer is the only one swinging, the piano and vibes are stiff in contrast to the drums. Only the drums is swinging.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

5 minutes! Are you crazy man? They're not going to feed you the data at 10mbit. You'll be sharing with hundreds of other downloaders so it's snails pace. Maybe an hour a file (when fast). But I've already done repeat downloads here because it sometimes fails after you've already downloaded a 100 meg.

Jazzwee, I have a wireless DSL connection (11 Mbps) and have downloaded all the files (including the three Real Drums volumes which are about 500-600 Mb each) in about three hours; I have also the CD versions of all the files, but they arrived 2-3 days later (via UPS) and I didn't want to wait.

I suggest that you download a program like Download Accelerator Pro, that not only accelerates every download, but can also resume a download from the point where it was interrupted. The program is free and you can download it from www.speedbit.com

:wave:

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Dreamer, the speed is not consistent. The FTP site I'm directed to is really slow. It could be different by area I presume.

Maybe there was a checkbox for getting a CD version but apparently, I had selected electronic delivery only. So a CD will not be forthcoming (my invoice clearly shows that).

They do say that they can ship a CD if I'm having a problem with electronic download.

In any case I'm up to 8 files now. So I'm getting there. Some files are not that big fortunately. There's just this BIG one at 500 meg. I'll do that overnight.

Originally posted by Jazz+:

Now when I listen to that mp3 demo the drummer is the only one swinging, the piano and vibes are stiff in contrast to the drums. Only the drums is swinging.

I guess the other parts are quantized.

Methinks we need a definition of swing though... other than "undefinable." ;)

They do say that they can ship a CD if I'm having a problem with electronic download.

Well,

since you live in the US and they are in BC, Canada, shipping a CD by mail shouldn't cost much (the price for shipping to Italy was $ 10 by mail and $ 20 by UPS).

Archived